-
AuthorContent
shiisteelady
McAdenville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9503218

I have never tried roses before and would appreciate any input on the sun exposure and best care to achieve the best blooms. There is one little bud left after I cut off the dead blooms(i got the plant for 2 dollars woo hoo!) and it is still in its store container. The plant is about two foot tall. I wanted some input before i put it in the ground so i could scout out the best place for my new baby. Truth is roses scare me because I don't like failing and I have not had good results with my azaleas, it bums me out lol. I can handle annuals all day long but something about the pruning and overwintering I am not doing right...so help me fellow plant enthusiasts ;) please
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9503501

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90985/

I am in zone 9b, so overwintering info might not be right for your area. However...

Roses need something close to full sun. Many varieties get several different fungi, and the full sun is one part of the program to reduce these fungi.

Deep soak so the roots grow strong and deep.

Mulch so the soil stays cooler, moister and encourages the beneficial microorganisms.

Fertilize regularly.

Watch for pests. Roses are magnets for aphids and many others. Some specialize in the leaves, others in the flowers. If you can find out what is wrong (pest, disease) promptly you can treat so it stops, and does not spread to more new growth. While it is probably not impossible to keep roses in an 'organic' way, it is easier IME to use the commercial products. A systemic to keep the bugs under control, and a spray fungicide regularly.
You might watch your new rose through a year and see when, if at all, it seems to get various pests and diseases, then you will know what to treat with next year. They are breeding newer roses with more disease resistance. JFK is a somewhat older rose (the patent expired a few years ago). SO elegant!

Overwintering here is sort of a joke. Some varieties keep their leaves and simply do not flower for a couple of months. Some varieties sort of lose most of their leaves, and the winter pruning includes stripping off those last few leaves so there is less fungus hold over to next spring. A good dormant spray can reduce the fungus problems.
I understand that in colder zones you may need to protect the rose, especially the graft, from the cold. That will be something that your local rose experts could advise you about.

While there are many plants that thrive in similar conditions, I find it better to keep roses accessible for pruning. A walk-on ground cover is great. Something like Ornimental Strawberry or Thyme would be good choices.

Azaleas are mostly plants from a forest floor setting, and appreciate it if you can replicate that sort of set up for them in the garden. They are shallow rooted.
AM sun, or the very latest evening sun, after it has cooled off. Dappled light through a tree is fabulous.
Add lots of organic matter to the soil.
Plant them a bit higher than they were in the can. They do not tolerate extra soil around the trunk.
Keep the area around them mulched with bark, leaves or similar material.
Slow release fertilizer.
Somewhat deep soak, but because they are so shallow rooted more frequent watering is better. The mulch will help keep the soil moist. DO not keep them soggy wet, though. They need good drainage, too.
Azaleas do very well with other plants around them.
Ferns are a natural, and shade-loving perennials like Liriope, Berginia and Lamium are good. There are many more to choose from, but make sure they are OK in your zone.
shiisteelady
McAdenville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9516644

Thanks for your quick reply Diana! Very helpful!
I found the perfect place for my rose and now have a little bud about to bloom! I also grabbed a bunch of leaves from my pile and put them around my azaleas ,I had to get rid of the mulch around them because the stray cats made it a potty zone...eeeww,i know. I also put a slow release fertilizer around them as well. Any way to get them to bloom more than once? The blooms have come and gone and it was a very sad showing:(

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9517592

And be sure the when you prune your azaleas, you do that right after they bloom. Pruning or cutting them back in the summer or late in the year will remove flower buds and prevent blooming the following year.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America