Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Bowties with canned tomatoes and cream sauce

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 35, Views: 362
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9503578

I made this last night and it was amazing...

1 12 oz. box bowtie pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb sweet italian sausage
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
2 cups heavy cream
1 can 28 oz. plum tomatoes, drained and chopped (save the juice and freeze for a soup later on)
1/2 tsp salt
1 small can diced black olives
2 tbsp parsley flakes

Start your water and cook the bowtie pasta for about 10 - 11 minutes once boiling.

In a large frying pan, brown up sausage in olive oil.
When browned, add onion and garlic; cook until tender/transparent. Add pepper flakes.
Add heavy cream, tomatoes, olives, salt.
Simmer for about 5 minutes until thick; add cooked bowtie pasta.
Stir real well and let set for a few minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley flakes.

Serve with a nice loaf of fresh italian bread and a salad...

Yum!!!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9507629

Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe, I will definitely try it...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9509403

Sounds good, Kathy... but then 2 cups of heavy cream make almost anything taste good!

I love heavy cream (but NOT ultra-pasteurized) and have it in my coffee every morning. I'd prefer raw cream if I could get it.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9517452

Darius!!!! 2 cups of cream WILL make anything taste good...and I'm all about the raw cream/milk. Hoping we can get a dairy cow sometime soon. Good to see you here, friend :)

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9570395

Made this tonight and the deliciousness was over the top!!! I didn't have bowties among my 20 varieties of pasta so I used campanelle, worked just fine. "DH, who rarely comments, and even less frequently takes second helpings declared it good and took a second. Good thing I only made about half a recipe because we would have eaten more...Thanks for sharing!

rteets

rteets
Stroudsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9593016

This sounds amazing! I am definitely making it.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9615926

This was so good I made again after the first time, and it looks like it's time to make it again. Yum!!!
EucalyptusMorn
Mansfield, TX

August 3, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9620449

Made this last night and it was absolutely plate-licking good. We only had a 1# box of farfalle, so used that. Also used a 28 oz can of Contadina crushed tomatoes (which was really a puree). My granddaughter and her friend had it for lunch today, and I plan on having it for supper tonight. Thanks so much for the recipe, MistyMeadows. I have sent the recipe to all my family.

rteets

rteets
Stroudsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9620515

I made this for dinner tonight. My husband and I both loved it. I will definitely be making this a regular!!! Thanks, MistyMeadows!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9674633

So glad y'all are enjoying it... thanks for "replanting" it here ;)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9674670

Kathy, I hope you had a Happy Birthday today!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9674679

Could someone give me an example of "sweet Italian sausage"?

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9674787

There are two kinds of Italian Sausage, as far as I know. Hot and Sweet. Hot has red pepper flakes in it and is, as described hot. Can be very hot depending on who makes it. The regular Italian Sausage is referred to as sweet although there is no sugar or sweeteners added to it. It's just plain sausage with the Italian seasonings in it.

I did buy some once that had potato in it and it was barely edible, although I have had, and have made Swedish Potato Sausage which is very good. The Italian seasoning did not work well with the potato. I do not know what inspired that sausage maker to do that. Blecch.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9674991

Thanks, I had never heard the term. Now I can make that recipe!!!!
lbarden547
Kingsville, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9677777

There are 3 kinds of Italian sausage available here, made by Johnsonville, "hot", "sweet", and "mild". I always buy the mild, 'cause that's what I prefer in the dishes I make with it.
I am definitely going to try this recipe soon, it sounds absolutely wonderful! And I will get the 'sweet' sausage for it.
There are probably other brands available other places, but here it is either Johnsonville or store brands. And the Johnsonville is really REALLY good! Store brands? Meh. . .. ..

No, I am not connected with Johnsonvlle in any way, shape or form, I just think they put out really good products.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9677904

I'm convinced that Johnsonville sausages are 30% fat, I buy a local brand called Usingers, or a store made brand at an Italian grocery chain that is also local. I have actually measured the grease from a J'ville sausage , bratwurst as well. We all admit the flavor is in the grease but you don't need that much of it.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9678031

Your can always drain off the fat if you cook it first. Thanks for the info on what to buy here in Texas. Im not a big sausage eater so Im not the connisseur sp on sausage. I appreciate the help.
lbarden547
Kingsville, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9679282

Meezers, you are very fortunate to have such a selection to chose from! I'm sure there is a lot more call for various sausages in WI than there is here, deep in the heart of TX.

Steadycam3, that is exactly what I do, cook off the fat first. But in your area of this state, you probably have a wider variety to chose from, too. I'm in a small town in a sparsely populated area. Things stores carry are dictated by what the population buys. Our population is 75% Hispanic. That pretty much tells it all! :>)

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9679325

No lack of sausage choices in an area settled by Germans, Slavs, etc. Fresh seafood...Not so much.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9679328

I agree with ibarden on the Johnsonville sausages. They are excellent.

I do broil them on each side and empty the fat before using them.

We always keep 3 quarts of heavy cream on hand...in case of emergencies!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9679711

I think I would really enjoy attending one of your emergencies, Pirl!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9679740

Sometimes we do have to invent an emergency!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9679748

For heavy cream I can invent an emergency quicker than you can imagine. I had about three quarts leftover from ice cream making and my DD wouldn't take it home. Sat in the freezer for three years. Took it out and made butter out of it. Wonderful butter. Still have some that I made into herb butter, frozen again!!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9679754

Meezers, we have a rather large German contingent that settled in Texas and many of the towns in our hill country have German names. Fredricksberg, Groene, New Braunfels, Boerne, Brenham, etc.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9679761

Loved all those towns when we visited in 2003...even Lukenbach!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9679778

Yep, forgot about Luckenbach!
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9681540

MistyMeadows - Thanks so much for posting this recipe. We just had it for supper, and it was really, really GOOD.

I had ripe Jimmy Nardello sweet Italian frying peppers from the garden, so diced up a few of those and browned them with the onion and garlic instead of using dried pepper flakes. We used a home-canned quart jar of our Sweet Ozark Orange garden tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes from the store, so the sauce turned out orange/yellow instead of red. No matter, it tasted great! My wife and I will be enjoying this recipe again.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9681543

Isn't it just too good?!! I have to be careful how much I make because if I make a lot we eat it all. No matter how much there is. Oink.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9683992

You've made me hungry!!! While you were all posting, I was at the hospital with my son and daughter in law becoming a new Grandma. Born at 8:55 p.m. EST on 10/8 :)

Here I am the next day...a tired Gammy (a few hours sleep). Notice the shirt I am wearing :)

Thumbnail by MistyMeadows
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rteets

rteets
Stroudsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9684077

MistyMeadows
Congratulations! How darling! I assume it's a girl. May she have joy and be a joy all her life...
Robin

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9684124

Awww, precious!
lbarden547
Kingsville, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9684278

Congratulations!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9685273

Yes a girl...Emalyn Rose :)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9686372

I'm a lurker on this forum. But I wanted to report that I tried this recipe using plain yogurt (I use Wallaby brand) instead of the heavy cream and mushrooms instead of the sausage (DH has to cut wayyy down on meat due to kidney problems). This still turned out delish and DH asked me to make it again. Thank you for posting the recipe and inspiring me.

Also, congratulations MistyMeadows on a sweet new grandbaby!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2014
6:56 PM

Post #9776102

Wow I just made this for dinner and everyone loved it! Had to keep the olives out for my hubby's sake but it was still amazing :)

Next time I plan on adding a cup of grated parmesan, just because we are a bunch of stinky cheese lovers, LOL. Also, the recipe doubled nicely.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2014
8:17 PM

Post #9776145

Glad this popped up again, need to make it again because it is really delicious!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America