Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Yellow Sac Spider?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DDimitria
Blasdell, NY

May 1, 2013
1:13 AM

Post #9503687

I'm in western NY. I have lots and lots of these in my house. They come out at night and during the day I find them in little nests in the corners and creases of my walls and ceiling. Because of that behavior and the black feet I'm assuming they're Yellow Sacs, but I would like to know for sure.

Thumbnail by DDimitria   Thumbnail by DDimitria
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DDimitria
Blasdell, NY

May 1, 2013
1:15 AM

Post #9503688

Oops, I meant for this to be the second image

Thumbnail by DDimitria
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

May 1, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9503812

This spider does appear to be in the family Miturgidae (long-legged sac spiders/prowling spiders) and in the genus Cheiracanthium, which often are called 'yellow sac spiders' - http://greennature.com/gallery/spider-pictures/yellow-sac-spider.html
DDimitria
Blasdell, NY

May 1, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9504096

Thank you! Because there are so many (I've been killing at least 5 a day for almost a week) and they're all the same, I think that a mother must have hatched eggs in the house. Is that likely? I don't know much about spiders, really.
Whispergirll
Decherd, TN

May 1, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9504143

Hello all. I have a question for anyone who knows a little bit about spiders. I have in my home the common house spider, many of them. I also have in my home the brown recluse. Now, I know that not much research has been done on spiders interbreeding, but I found a spider today that makes me think that they do. I can't post a picture but I can easily describe it to you. It has oragneish red legs, no hair and no stripes. It has the same colored body as legs just a tad darker. It has a butt just like a common house spider, marking and all. On it's body, it has what appears like the hour glass that I am all to familiar with and it has fairly large fangs (unlike a house spider) that are black at the tip. It spins a web (unlike a recluse) and it is fairly small, although looked that the leg span is larger than a dime. It doesn't look like anything I have researched. Is it possible that my common house spider has breed with my poisonous brown recluse?
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

May 1, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9504240

@Whispergirll - There is no way that those spiders could interbreed. Please see if you can post an image of your mystery spider.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America