Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Tropical Plants and Gardens #130

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome all Tropical Plant lovers. Please post lots of pictures of your gardens, both indoor and out for us all to enjoy.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300166/

This message was edited May 1, 2013 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy MAY DAY, everyone!!!!

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

I like the; "both indoor and out" Elaine! Happy May Day Kay!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Happy May Day and I am glad someone else says that besides me cuz at work out of eveyone I said that too only one person knew what I was talking about. I had them out, and now they are in , AGAIN. .. you may recognize a few of these from past postings or as plants from all of you..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

I hope you are all staying comfortable.. healthy, and happily gardening..
look past the coats hanging, we will only need them for two days this week. I will be sweating and complaining real soon. It went from almost 76 down to 50 something in about 2 hours. High for tommorrow is supposed to be 39 ,,, I bet it is warmer than that, tho. I figure this is God's way of making me excersize. Caring for plants.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

tommorrow night I will be cutting down the vines in Charlies room to be taken out this week end. They are crazy overgrown and I keep waiting to get snatched by one of the down there..
I am grateful Joe does not mind the plants coming in again, he sure is fun to watch in here, when he chasing a flying bug in the house with a swatter, tho..

Thumbnail by joeswife

All your plants look great, Deb!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm with you on the exercise theory. If it wasn't for gardening, I'd be a computer potato for sure.

Your indoor garden looks like a treasure chest of garden jewels, Deb. They're just waiting to come out and adorn your garden in the sunshine.

Surely!! this will be the last cold front, what a bizarre winter/spring it's been. We are having days of heavy rain this week and it's the middle of usually the driest part of the year.

Rain lilies usually don't pop up until June, but here they are! Right above the rain lilies are new passion flowers, the scent of these ones is overwhelming!

Blue Thunbergia just starting to really take off. I like their funny little profiles, too. Brug. Charles Grimaldi, these ones are much more orange than my big one in the pool cage.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

The salsa party on the Gloriosas is getting up to speed. Flowers are great of course, but I really like the leaves with their graceful grasping tips!

Here's a blurry shot of my 'Physical Grafitti' orchid cactus - a start from Cassie last spring. I just plopped it at the base of this oak and 'leaned' the stem against the bark. It has attached itself very firmly and is climbing now.

Last pic, turn your back on a head of broccoli in this warm weather, and voila! The bees love these flowers!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

oh my, love the broccoli! :) That is one thing I havn't had for a couple years, the gloriosa lillys, but that is okay, I am overwhelmed with all the work that needs to be done in the cold tommorrow already..

Love your blooms!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Monsterous Begonia Odorata Alba has nearly reached the ground, from its huge hanging basket. For all the cuttings I've given away of this, it's a wonder they haven't put it on the invasives list!

My fancy Basil 'Cardinal' has some huge flower heads right now. It tastes good but it's also really decorative with these big flowers.

Purple firespike, really isn't purple . . but pretty anyway.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

You could spread that beautiful Basil among your friends!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Elaine, what is that you have growing in with the B. Odorata Alba ?...looks very nice with it.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Little clump of variegated liriope is struggling to hold its own against the begonia.

I went for an all white theme, there's a little white caladium in there somewhere, too.

Here's what it looked like a year ago.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Mine's starting to take off now too. I have it on a Shepard's Hook by the door of the greenhouse.

This message was edited May 5, 2013 9:19 AM

(Zone 9a)

Love the all white theme. Can you see that area at night? I have always wanted to plant white flowers where they could be seen in the dark but I am such a sucker for whatever catches my eye - no matter what color. In the end I have no room left for the all white garden. :-(

A NOID white amaryllis, at least this one can be seen from the house and it glows in the full moon.

This Alpinia zerumbet has been such a show off this year.

The geranium that never stops blooming.

Species canna - I forget the name at the moment.

Another amaryllis - forget which one this is too.

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia

Aroids want to go out ... temps. around 60 all week and cloudy. Blaaah!

Thumbnail by homer1958

Is that a Geranium in front of the Monstera d. Alice?

(Zone 9a)

Yes, a geranium and it has been outdoors in that pot for several years. Nothing bothers it.

The Monstera is in the ground too, you need to move a bit south so you won't have to haul those aroids in and out. :-) We are having the same dreary weather but it is a perfect time for you to get tender trops outside.

80's by Thurs. Fri. It should all be over for the year after that! (Should be...)

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yikes, that geranium really is fantastic, Alice.

I think the little stripey amaryllis is 'Papillio' or something like that. Love 'em! I keep meaning to order some but they're always too pricey. Guess I'll ask the kids for one for a gift, hmmm. Next Xmas should be good timing to plant them out . . .

I agree, Drew needs to move quite a bit further south so he can grow the monster plants he likes outside all year 'round. Meantime, he has the world's nicest greenhouse/garage. Like parking your car in a jungle all winter?

Very beautiful, all of them. Alice, please tell me what to do with Don Miller, it is trying to grow in its tiny lil pot, I amfraid to do anything to it. Elaine shoulsd I move the little aroid you got me to a bigger pot or plant it in the ground?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Deb, the aroid just needs lots of water and some fert of course. It will do great in the ground in one of your boggy spots. Mine like partial shade.

Don't worry about the begonias, they are vigorous! I have mine in 8in. pots. The bigger pot you give 'em the bigger they will grow, except of course Don Miller stays a nice orderly size.

Here's my B. Maurice Amy from Mj, re-potted about 2 weeks ago, already putting on lots of new growth. One of my Don Millers in last year's pot, I've just taken most of the long canes off for cuttings, and it is putting on nice new growth too.

(Zone 9a)

Debra, for a little guy, Don is tough. You can pot him up with little chance of harming him. Them just snip away to keep him in shape.

It's at the top of the driveway from October to April, Elaine. As long as D.W. can get in and out of her side....

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Now there's a sacrifice, especially by a guy - leaving his car outdoors all winter so his plants can be inside the garage! I am filled with awe, Drew.

My funny noid Corkscrew gingers are putting up flowers already. None of them bloomed at all last year, wonder if they are biennials or something.

Then there's my Begonia Looking Glass - its leaves are metallic silver, but just walking by the plant it looks overall kind of grey-ish. I've tried and tried to capture the silver sheen in a picture.

looking glass is beautiful. I have seen a lot of begonias, grown a few, but just stick with a few treasured ones now.. I love that ginger.. I gave one away I grew from a seed and it bloomed for her, ofcourse, now to get one of mine to bloom.

(Zone 9a)

Debra, don't you hate it when that happens? I think the costus gingers take a while to mature. Elaine's may be the C. scaber, aka Indian Head or French Kiss ginger.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's right, Alice, they are C. scaber. Deb, I'll send you starts of any ginger you'd like, but that one is difficult . . . they're growing and filling in nicely in my big, shady border under the big oak tree but they're about 7ft. tall before they decide it's ok to bloom. I think they're finally doing well because I am watering that border consistently, now that I have free well water. Plus we've had two mild winters.

The other spiral gingers I have - starts from Rita a couple of years ago, are much nicer. The pretty variegated one is a cultivar of Costus arabica, with striped leaves, red stems and leaf reverses. Rita called it "Rainbow costus". Plus I also have the little one with the yellow/red striped flowers. Both of them flower much more easily than the C. scaber.

I wonder when Rita will show up around here again? If she has moved, she will be wanting starts of her lovely plants back from us, I'd bet!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

My C. scaber always has these ants crawling on the flowers. Apparently this is normal, there is some sort of sweet secretion from the flowers that attracts the insects. Also, I just don't think the flowers are that interesting.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

You mean These ants?? =+)

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

thanks, elaine, I have gingers.. :) I like to see the ants, I think the plants like them too..

(Zone 9a)

Pitiful little ants you have in FL. Here in SC we really know how to grow bugs. :-)

Thumbnail by ardesia

eeks! LOL those look like they might sting!

Alice, we grow those hybrid ants here in Florida, too! I mowed over a mound of ants that had built a colony the size of a bushel basket!!!

(Zone 9a)

Ouch, they do sting, these are carpenter ants and a bushel basket of them could hurt bad. Between them and the fire ants you have to watch where you walk. Right now the carpenter ants have invaded my compost pile. It heats up nicely but that does not seem to bother the ants. I'm sprinkling DE powder in there every time I add anything. That seems to deter them temporarily.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Interesting, we do have carpenter ants like that here, but they aren't the ones that swarm over the ginger flower heads. Little black ants seem to dominate the picture. (although I admit there's only one in that pic above) We truly have ants of every size and shape here, but very few on the flowers except those little black ones.

They say "the meek shall inherit the earth" but I think the ants are up front in that race.

(Zone 9a)

LOL, Nothing meek about a Fire Ant.

I just transplanted 2 large red fire spikes, their root systems were pretty shallow but the plants were huge so it was still a chore. I put one back in the same spot but in a large, 18", pot with drip irrigation. It was too close to the deck, now it is still close but we can move it when the deck needs to be painted, or whatever.

my lil helper casme over tonight and moved about 50 plants up the stairs and out to the shade of the pine tree and the north side of the house. He then proceeded to change out the turtle area and got the yukky stuff out for me. What a sweetie. Just in time for our third round of thunderstorms and rain.. We have carpenter aunts and fire ants but none of them seem to bother me too much. ot two of the large pots downstairs undone, and all the vines cut down in charlies old room and they are out in the shade now.. my basement looks like it is more littered with dirt and leaves than outside right now.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

The brug my Dad gave me finally bloomed the first flowers, even after I moved the whole plant in February breaking off some of the main roots, I'm a happy gardener!
I've been absent and looks like I have a lot to catch up on....and we do have big ants here in Florida, really big...they aren't on the flowers but they sure do like wood.

-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.