Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Plants: Tropical Plants and Gardens #130

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 115, Views: 1,080
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9503950

Welcome all Tropical Plant lovers. Please post lots of pictures of your gardens, both indoor and out for us all to enjoy.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300166/

This message was edited May 1, 2013 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9503979

Happy MAY DAY, everyone!!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9504268

I like the; "both indoor and out" Elaine! Happy May Day Kay!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9504898

Happy May Day and I am glad someone else says that besides me cuz at work out of eveyone I said that too only one person knew what I was talking about. I had them out, and now they are in , AGAIN. .. you may recognize a few of these from past postings or as plants from all of you..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife
Click an image for an enlarged view.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9504902

I hope you are all staying comfortable.. healthy, and happily gardening..
look past the coats hanging, we will only need them for two days this week. I will be sweating and complaining real soon. It went from almost 76 down to 50 something in about 2 hours. High for tommorrow is supposed to be 39 ,,, I bet it is warmer than that, tho. I figure this is God's way of making me excersize. Caring for plants.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9504905

tommorrow night I will be cutting down the vines in Charlies room to be taken out this week end. They are crazy overgrown and I keep waiting to get snatched by one of the down there..
I am grateful Joe does not mind the plants coming in again, he sure is fun to watch in here, when he chasing a flying bug in the house with a swatter, tho..

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9505023

All your plants look great, Deb!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9505344

I'm with you on the exercise theory. If it wasn't for gardening, I'd be a computer potato for sure.

Your indoor garden looks like a treasure chest of garden jewels, Deb. They're just waiting to come out and adorn your garden in the sunshine.

Surely!! this will be the last cold front, what a bizarre winter/spring it's been. We are having days of heavy rain this week and it's the middle of usually the driest part of the year.

Rain lilies usually don't pop up until June, but here they are! Right above the rain lilies are new passion flowers, the scent of these ones is overwhelming!

Blue Thunbergia just starting to really take off. I like their funny little profiles, too. Brug. Charles Grimaldi, these ones are much more orange than my big one in the pool cage.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9505352

The salsa party on the Gloriosas is getting up to speed. Flowers are great of course, but I really like the leaves with their graceful grasping tips!

Here's a blurry shot of my 'Physical Grafitti' orchid cactus - a start from Cassie last spring. I just plopped it at the base of this oak and 'leaned' the stem against the bark. It has attached itself very firmly and is climbing now.

Last pic, turn your back on a head of broccoli in this warm weather, and voila! The bees love these flowers!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9507268

oh my, love the broccoli! :) That is one thing I havn't had for a couple years, the gloriosa lillys, but that is okay, I am overwhelmed with all the work that needs to be done in the cold tommorrow already..

Love your blooms!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9508157

Monsterous Begonia Odorata Alba has nearly reached the ground, from its huge hanging basket. For all the cuttings I've given away of this, it's a wonder they haven't put it on the invasives list!

My fancy Basil 'Cardinal' has some huge flower heads right now. It tastes good but it's also really decorative with these big flowers.

Purple firespike, really isn't purple . . but pretty anyway.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9508191

You could spread that beautiful Basil among your friends!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9508261

Elaine, what is that you have growing in with the B. Odorata Alba ?...looks very nice with it.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9508442

Little clump of variegated liriope is struggling to hold its own against the begonia.

I went for an all white theme, there's a little white caladium in there somewhere, too.

Here's what it looked like a year ago.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9508857

Mine's starting to take off now too. I have it on a Shepard's Hook by the door of the greenhouse.

This message was edited May 5, 2013 9:19 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9509401

Love the all white theme. Can you see that area at night? I have always wanted to plant white flowers where they could be seen in the dark but I am such a sucker for whatever catches my eye - no matter what color. In the end I have no room left for the all white garden. :-(

A NOID white amaryllis, at least this one can be seen from the house and it glows in the full moon.

This Alpinia zerumbet has been such a show off this year.

The geranium that never stops blooming.

Species canna - I forget the name at the moment.

Another amaryllis - forget which one this is too.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9509506

Aroids want to go out ... temps. around 60 all week and cloudy. Blaaah!

Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9509512

Is that a Geranium in front of the Monstera d. Alice?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9509653

Yes, a geranium and it has been outdoors in that pot for several years. Nothing bothers it.

The Monstera is in the ground too, you need to move a bit south so you won't have to haul those aroids in and out. :-) We are having the same dreary weather but it is a perfect time for you to get tender trops outside.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9509664

80's by Thurs. Fri. It should all be over for the year after that! (Should be...)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9509712

Yikes, that geranium really is fantastic, Alice.

I think the little stripey amaryllis is 'Papillio' or something like that. Love 'em! I keep meaning to order some but they're always too pricey. Guess I'll ask the kids for one for a gift, hmmm. Next Xmas should be good timing to plant them out . . .

I agree, Drew needs to move quite a bit further south so he can grow the monster plants he likes outside all year 'round. Meantime, he has the world's nicest greenhouse/garage. Like parking your car in a jungle all winter?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9509938

Very beautiful, all of them. Alice, please tell me what to do with Don Miller, it is trying to grow in its tiny lil pot, I amfraid to do anything to it. Elaine shoulsd I move the little aroid you got me to a bigger pot or plant it in the ground?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9510248

Deb, the aroid just needs lots of water and some fert of course. It will do great in the ground in one of your boggy spots. Mine like partial shade.

Don't worry about the begonias, they are vigorous! I have mine in 8in. pots. The bigger pot you give 'em the bigger they will grow, except of course Don Miller stays a nice orderly size.

Here's my B. Maurice Amy from Mj, re-potted about 2 weeks ago, already putting on lots of new growth. One of my Don Millers in last year's pot, I've just taken most of the long canes off for cuttings, and it is putting on nice new growth too.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9510257

Debra, for a little guy, Don is tough. You can pot him up with little chance of harming him. Them just snip away to keep him in shape.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9510537

It's at the top of the driveway from October to April, Elaine. As long as D.W. can get in and out of her side...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9510658

Now there's a sacrifice, especially by a guy - leaving his car outdoors all winter so his plants can be inside the garage! I am filled with awe, Drew.

My funny noid Corkscrew gingers are putting up flowers already. None of them bloomed at all last year, wonder if they are biennials or something.

Then there's my Begonia Looking Glass - its leaves are metallic silver, but just walking by the plant it looks overall kind of grey-ish. I've tried and tried to capture the silver sheen in a picture.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9511300

looking glass is beautiful. I have seen a lot of begonias, grown a few, but just stick with a few treasured ones now.. I love that ginger.. I gave one away I grew from a seed and it bloomed for her, ofcourse, now to get one of mine to bloom.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9511472

Debra, don't you hate it when that happens? I think the costus gingers take a while to mature. Elaine's may be the C. scaber, aka Indian Head or French Kiss ginger.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9511952

That's right, Alice, they are C. scaber. Deb, I'll send you starts of any ginger you'd like, but that one is difficult . . . they're growing and filling in nicely in my big, shady border under the big oak tree but they're about 7ft. tall before they decide it's ok to bloom. I think they're finally doing well because I am watering that border consistently, now that I have free well water. Plus we've had two mild winters.

The other spiral gingers I have - starts from Rita a couple of years ago, are much nicer. The pretty variegated one is a cultivar of Costus arabica, with striped leaves, red stems and leaf reverses. Rita called it "Rainbow costus". Plus I also have the little one with the yellow/red striped flowers. Both of them flower much more easily than the C. scaber.

I wonder when Rita will show up around here again? If she has moved, she will be wanting starts of her lovely plants back from us, I'd bet!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9512028

My C. scaber always has these ants crawling on the flowers. Apparently this is normal, there is some sort of sweet secretion from the flowers that attracts the insects. Also, I just don't think the flowers are that interesting.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9512223

You mean These ants?? =+)

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9512235

thanks, elaine, I have gingers.. :) I like to see the ants, I think the plants like them too..
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9512294

Pitiful little ants you have in FL. Here in SC we really know how to grow bugs. :-)

Thumbnail by ardesia

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9512691

eeks! LOL those look like they might sting!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9512855

Alice, we grow those hybrid ants here in Florida, too! I mowed over a mound of ants that had built a colony the size of a bushel basket!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2013
4:04 AM

Post #9512893

Ouch, they do sting, these are carpenter ants and a bushel basket of them could hurt bad. Between them and the fire ants you have to watch where you walk. Right now the carpenter ants have invaded my compost pile. It heats up nicely but that does not seem to bother the ants. I'm sprinkling DE powder in there every time I add anything. That seems to deter them temporarily.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9513102

Interesting, we do have carpenter ants like that here, but they aren't the ones that swarm over the ginger flower heads. Little black ants seem to dominate the picture. (although I admit there's only one in that pic above) We truly have ants of every size and shape here, but very few on the flowers except those little black ones.

They say "the meek shall inherit the earth" but I think the ants are up front in that race.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9513164

LOL, Nothing meek about a Fire Ant.

I just transplanted 2 large red fire spikes, their root systems were pretty shallow but the plants were huge so it was still a chore. I put one back in the same spot but in a large, 18", pot with drip irrigation. It was too close to the deck, now it is still close but we can move it when the deck needs to be painted, or whatever.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9513951

my lil helper casme over tonight and moved about 50 plants up the stairs and out to the shade of the pine tree and the north side of the house. He then proceeded to change out the turtle area and got the yukky stuff out for me. What a sweetie. Just in time for our third round of thunderstorms and rain.. We have carpenter aunts and fire ants but none of them seem to bother me too much. ot two of the large pots downstairs undone, and all the vines cut down in charlies old room and they are out in the shade now.. my basement looks like it is more littered with dirt and leaves than outside right now.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9514236

The brug my Dad gave me finally bloomed the first flowers, even after I moved the whole plant in February breaking off some of the main roots, I'm a happy gardener!
I've been absent and looks like I have a lot to catch up on...and we do have big ants here in Florida, really big...they aren't on the flowers but they sure do like wood.

-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9514507

Lovely, Sherri and welcome back! Don't forget to go outside as it's getting dark to enjoy the fabulous perfume of your Brug.

We are very lucky here. The Extension service released a parasitic wasp at a nature preserve a few blocks away that has the fire ants on the run in our neighborhood. I have seen very few mounds in the 5 years we've lived in this house, and they only last a few days then disappear!
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9515656

Howdy folks! Miss me? (yeah right)

I'm glad its just a bit too cold up here for fire ants to survive (at least I hope so!)

Anyways, I've been busy in the garden since the danger of a hard frost has passed, and have planted all the Yuccas I had in pots prior to moving (they were taking up entirely too much space in the garage), and they seem to be doing better now that they're getting plenty of sun and are no longer root bound.

I've also been transplanting stuff from my parents' house, and so far I've managed to move all my trifoliate orange trees, my surprisingly hardy windmill palm (it has survived 6 winters in the ground with no protection) and my entire Fargesia nitida bamboo clump. I've also got my hardy banana (M. basjoo) planted, but probably won't see anything happening until the end of the month.

In addition, I've acquired a few more plants (including another type of Fargesia and some wild-looking autumn crocuses) and ordered two "Mekong Giant" hardy bananas and 3 Zingiber miogas from Plant Delights nursery (but they won't be shipping them to me until May 22). I've also started digging up the vegetable plot and have planted one row of Basil and one row of Itallian Parsely (both for our kitchen and giving to our pet rabbits as a treat), and will see about planting some lettuce soon.

I still have a number of plants to transfer from my parents' house, including all my Rhodeas, my hostas some Wakerobin trilliums, mayapples, surprise lillies and my three dwarf palmettos (which should appreciate being moved to a location that gets more sun).

I also found a gigantonormous heritage rose bush on the property while clearing out some weeds about two weeks ago... The main stems were about 2" in diameter, and it had dried-out cherry-sized rose hips hanging on the ends of the branches. I can't wait to see it bloom!

Finally, for those who might be wondering, no the mystery arum from last year still hasn't made an appearance yet, but I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet. I'll try to post some pics of the yard tonight, but after I mow the lawn: It's got dandelion seed heads all over the place, but it's been raining to much for me to mow this past week, but it looks like the weather might hold out this afternoon...

My wife and I are also going over to my parents' house for dinner tonight, so I'm going to try grabbing as many plants as I can while I'm at it.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9515763

Welcome home!!
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9516271

Thanks! I just realized that I hadn't updated my location yet, so I just did that...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9517268

Ditto Kay, Hikaro!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 15, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9521753

In the process of moving everything out of the GH...still a long way to go.

Mostly begonias

Hoyas

orchids and begonias

various plants

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 15, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9521756

and still more to go

orchid cactus blooming today

basket of bromeliads

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9522708

Goodness, Paula. I think you may have reached the pinnacle of the gardener's art - Grand Poobah Plant Hoarder! Now, if you don't start yourself a commercial nursery pretty soon . . . even your 100 acres is going to get pretty crowded. Did you ever get your big long flower bed all planted? Can't wait to see that.
- my begonia starts from Paula showing nice new growth
- Dwarf Jewel Alocasia from Mj with a flower!
- Brazilian plume, I went back after I saw the picture and cleaned off the scales on the stem!
- Monarch coccoon on the pool cage wire - see the gold necklace? Guess that's why they're "monarchs".

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 16, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9522918

Thank you Elaine. Hopefully I can get about 1/2 of them in the ground and get rid of about a 1/3 of the others. I just have too many...I admit it!

I have to say I have been very disappointed in the chocolate bonfire. Even though it is pretty, it's obviously a slow grower and does not like to be bushy! I have pinched mine back thinking they would get a little bushier, but so far ...no!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9523569

Wow Paula, How in the world do you keep track of all that ! I thought I was bad...LOL

Elaine, Blue Hawaii is just wonderful...Worm Killer I think is on strike...I have fertilized it...babied it...I thought by now I'd have to move it into a bigger pot. It's still barely 3 in. tall.
We have had some pretty cool nights ( actually went down to 50 one night Yikes !) but that doesn't really seem to have slowed anything else down.

Colocasia Blue Hawaii from Elaine, Hoya imperalis, Hoya latifolia, gloriosa lilys and Coral Porterweed.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9523588

GAgirl, next time my husband says I'm bad about having tons of plants, I'm showing him your photos. I do like the poles you have everything hanging on. Nice amount of property you have there. I sure wish I had more room, but then maybe it is good I don't. ☺

mj, what a pretty Colocasia leaf, and Elaine always nice to find Monarch cocoon in the garden, I don't see my huge Monarch cats anymore so guess I have cocoons somewhere, they sure devoured the milkweed.

I found this pink Brazilian plume at Lowe's last week. The undersides of the leaves are purple, only $3.98, so how could I resist? I have an orange plant and always wanted a pink one.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed         

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9523743

Gorgeous pictures everyone, what a pretty plume plant.

I think we all ought to print out Paula's pictures and just keep them around for those times when the spouse starts complaining. Sorry Paula, you are on your own but you obviously have a wonderful DH who builds such cool structures and a BIG GH for you.

My gloriosa's have not even emerged yet, what a puzzlement.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9523770

I was sent some supertunia plugs to trial, I don't anticipate they will withstand any heat but for now they are bright and pretty.

Magnolias are in full bloom, this is my neighbor's Little Gem.

This little guy is shedding his spring coat.

My nemesis!

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 19, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9525521

Thank you everyone...I do have way too many plants. My husband tells me all the time to quit buying them, but he knows how much I enjoy them. The big GH is still a work in progress...they manage to get one panel put on about every two weeks, but at least I don't need it right now. I finally rented a tiller the other day and tried to till some of the flower beds. It didn't work as well as I hoped it would, because there was so many weeds, but at least I can plant a few more.

Does anyone use Preen in their flower beds? Can you tell it actually helps?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9525665

Alice, the petunias are so gorgeous. I make them last a little longer by moving them gradually into the shade, then when it gets really hot, spraying them with water during the heat of the day also helps. The deer sure are a headache, but so pretty. A fellow MG here plants borders of Society Garlic around her flower beds, and she says it helps a lot. They don't like the smell.

I don't use Preen here, Paula but we did use it at my daughter's house in Salt Lake and it helps her out a lot. She has a neighbor that lets their garden go to weeds every summer, and of course sends weed seeds flying next door like crazy. They also have a type of tree that seeds itself everywhere in the springtime. So the Preen prevents a lot of seeds from germinating.

We did find that you don't want to use the Preen that has fertilizer along with it. If any weeds had already germinated, we were fertilizing them! We now use the straight Preen, and then fertilize directly around the perennial plants with Osmocote ( I know nothing gets fertilized when I'm not there so the Osmo keeps her garden growing between my visits).

I'm harvesting my gourmet Mountain Magic tomatoes, and some bird has developed a taste for them! I guess I may have to resort to the netting for a while . . . arg.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9525690

That's a good idea about moving the petunias to shade. We are going to the mountains this summer but not until August. If I see my son from Asheville before that I'll send them home with him.

I am trying Preen under my bird feeder this year, I just bought it yesterday. I may have tried it before but have forgotten how it worked out. ;-(
I have about a million sunflowers and millet plants under there, once these are pulled I don't want any more. Hope it works for us.

Your tomatoes are beautiful Elaine, we have to net ours too because the baby cardinals love them and make a mess of things. Mine are weeks away from being red yet.

Interestingly, that doe has not gotten any of my plants - YET. She seems to have taken a liking to my dog (have you ever????) we think she lost a fawn and is hoping Boolie is her lost baby. She is constantly in the yard and has trashed my neighbors flowers so I am spraying mine like crazy before she is too tempted. I would love to get rid of her and any ticks she might carry. Shoo and tossing pine cones at her have had little deterrent. I set up a Scarecrow sprayer yesterday. I just learned there is a systemic tablet you put in the ground around tasty plants and they take up a nasty scent that discourages deer and rabbits - while fertilizing at the same time. Sounds too good to be true.
www.naturaproducts.ca
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9525743

Set up motion-activated sprinklers to deter the animals:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=scarecrow+water+sprinkler&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7959925299&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=671362296859186732&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6ge8s9hj69_b

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9526030

[quote="KayJones"]Set up motion-activated sprinklers to deter the animals:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=scarecrow+water+sprinkler&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7959925299&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=671362296859186732&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6ge8s9hj69_b[/quote]

LOL...it would be constantly running here...between the dog/cat, rabbits, birds. Fortunately the deer pretty much stay out of the yard, the whole property is fenced but they do jump into the horse pasture all the time. Only time I had a problem with deer in the yard was a few years back when I was going a bunch of Japanese Morning glories.

My Hoya kerrii is on a mission !

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9526036

Opps wrong pic...

Thumbnail by mjsponies

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9526153

I've had the Scarecrow going and in windy conditions swaying branches can set it off. It has gotten my dog several times and he gives it the dirtiest look.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9526220

Yep, me too. Every time I set it up to scare off the raccoons, the cat comes in damp and very annoyed. It's good for open areas, and I originally bought it to keep my neighbor's dogs off my lawn which it worked beautifully for.

But now, I have no lawn, and very little area that doesn't have moving leaves and branches. Out front, facing the lychee tree is the only place it works properly. This year I have no lychees, sadly.

- Heliconia Lady Di is starting to bloom, but will do much better once we get a good rain.
- orange Snapdragons are nearly on their last legs.
- Salvia Indigo Spires is going strong
- purple Vinca survived through the winter, and is doing better, but the flowers fade in the sun and look sort of like old blue jeans.
- coral Barleria

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9526298

Oh, ELAINE!!!! My Baleria came back and IS BLOOMING - THANKS so much - I LOVE it!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9526932

Good to hear, Kay. Keep an eye on it, it will seed itself and spread if it likes where you planted it. Not aggressive, but definitely . . ah . . assertive.

The seedlings transplant easily if you want to spread it around.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9527557

Went to the Gulf for a week...Verrrrrrry relaxing!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9527601

Yep, getting pretty summery down here. We were out on the Bay all day Saturday running sailboat races, and it was just gorgeous. More stormy today, but we sure need the rain!

I think we missed a birthday yesterday, folks. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to Mj!!

- Love the foliage on this ginger, and I sure hope it blooms this year. A start from Rita, can't recall the name.
- red Canna with a big nice flower head going. They look good at this time of year when they don't get rained on.
- white Canna is more subdued
- just have to show off this Encyclia. It's perfuming the whole pool cage.
- RicRac orchid from Mj - it's doing great.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9527607

Ric Rac cactus or is it really an Orchid? Your flowers are beautiful!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9531630

Hi everyone, I was looking for a forum to ask my question regarding 'ric rac orchid cactus'. I am so glad I found your thread. May I please come in and admire your tropical plants as well as ask some question regarding Ric rac's blooms?

I've this Selenicereis anthonyanus for several years now. This is its first time to set out flower buds. I initially discovered over a dozen buds, but I made a mistake moving it to a full sun location, and most of the young flowers bud aborted, leaving me with roughly 4 viable buds. This is one of the four healthy looking buds at present.

My question is, it's classified as "night blooming cereus" does anyone know roughly what time in the night will these beauty open? I don't want to miss the very first bloom. I may have to camp out in the garden, over night, to watch this flower unfurls, lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9531653

Lol, it really is a cactus, Kay. Lily, I don't know when it blooms, but most night-blooming flowers will open as soon as it gets dark. They depend upon night-flying pollenators like moths, and I think they tend to maximize the dark time by opening as soon as they can.

Do you have a cell phone that will remind you to go outside before you go to bed? The perfume is supposed to be lovely, too.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9531654

From Yahoo.com:

It rarely, if ever, blooms and when it does, flowers only appear on old, root-bound plants - usually a few years old. These blooms will pop up in spring and only at night, where in the wild, their fragrance attracts nighttime pollinators. Furthermore, each bloom lasts only one night so unless you're at the right place at the right time, I wouldn't stake too much on the flowering.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9531665

As Kay has shared that "It rarely, if ever, blooms ..." that's the more reason why I don't want to miss the blooms. The photo above was taken 3 days ago. As of tonite, it looks to be about ready to 'pop'.
dyzzypyxxy, thanks for the great suggestion. I'll try to set my alarm to go outside just before bed to make sure I won't miss this beauty. Once I do, I'll share more photos. Thanks to both of you having taking the time out to respond. Happy gardening all.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9531713

Here goes; just minutes before sunset where I'm. I captured a few photos to share. I'll return out side once it's dark to investigate further. I noticed that the buds when newly formed, they appear 'hairy' and green, then gradually turn red. I'm so excited that this may happen tonight--when my 1st flower opens.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9531958

Homer I am jealous. I know how nice it is to be in the gulf at this time of year. Beautiful flowers and plants, everyone. I hope my ric rac blooms some day.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9532172

Well folks, it didn't happen last night! The flower remains as it this early morning. I'll share more pics. later when I return. Debra, I'll discuss more regarding how I came about having these flowers forming by accident...as I've more time to share my experience this evening. Have a good day everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9532546

We needed it Deb. If you ever get a chance; it's called Gulf Shores/ Orange Beach, Between Mobile and Pensacola.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9532572

Homer, Deb can't go to Gulf Shores - she can only come to Panama City!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9532743

my ricrac is inside, should i move it outside then?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9532799

Deb, mine are hanging outside under a tree.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9532854

Here is my story; accidentally, after having been indoor over the winter. I took most of my succulent and vines back outdoor. I left my ric rac hanging basket on the ground, in a semi-shade area facing north, northwest which has lot of large trees/shade. We've had an unusual cool, and long spring period (for our zone), the prolonged cool spring must have triggered the ric rac to produce flower buds. Whereas in years past, we promptly went from winter and seemingly directly to summer (hot and humid) as a result I did not get any flower then? Well at least that's my theory.

The mistake that I made was when I discovered the basket with many buds, I then moved it into a more sunnier spot, where it's now. As a result, the plant went to a transition from a shadier spot into a 'warmer' area, many of the young buds got stunned and dropped off. Luckily, I still have 4-5 buds that are healthy looking as of now. Hopefully they will give me some joy of seeing them fully open --soon.

Deb, try to give your ric rac outdoor condition, like Kay has hers. Here are a few photos of mine this evening. The last one is another promising bud just begun to turn reddish. The first bud looks so ready, I guess I'll hang out again this evening to spy on the bloom. Wish me luck everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9532882

Good luck catching the open bloom! I have night-blooming Cerus in the greenhouse with buds, but I'm not going to stay up to watch them open. I get up at 5 a.m. most mornings and have caught them then.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9532998

Roll Tide, LL!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2013
9:00 PM

Post #9533104

Can't wait to see a picture of that flower, Lily. Get the flash ready on your camera.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2013
4:02 AM

Post #9533225

Thanks Kay, Homer and dyzzypyxxy. With your wishes; my dream realized! The flower did open as the sun sets yesterday evening, and remains as of 5'ish this morning. Homer, Roll Tide to my DH. As for me it's War Eagle lol

The first 3 pics. were taken yesterday at sunset. The last two were taken this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9533247

Lovely Lily !! Good job !

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9533270

Thanks mj, it's a beautiful morning. The flower remains at this hour. Such glorious bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9533292

Beautiful - congratulations!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9533329

Yay, thanks for sharing, Lily. It's gorgeous. Any fragrance? Most night-bloomers are perfumed, to help the pollenators find them in the dark.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9533330

Wow lily, I don't think I've ever seen a bloom on a ric rac before...how beautiful! Actually the bud is just as pretty. How's the new camera coming along?

mj, Everything you gave me is looking really good, just the purple majesty salvia still very wilted but I think it will come around. Right after I planted everything we got a nice downpour again, which was nice. Thanks again for allowing me to spend time in your lovely garden and giving me pieces of it.
-Sherri

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9533413

Hi Sherri, and all. Wouldn't you believe it; the bloom is still shining its glory at this hour. Perhaps because it's partially shaded from the morning sun from the Eastern side of the garden. dz, to my suprise there isn't a fragrant that I can tell. Not like my Oxyphylatum epi blooms. But to be so dazzling as this beauty is, I hope the pollinators will find it somehow.

sherri, I have been so very busy and the new camera got put away for the duration. I wished I knew more about it-- I would have captured some fantastic shots with this ric rac bloom. Oh, have you seen any monarch there yet? Love that profile pic. on your screen.

Here is a pic. I just took a few minutes ago, I did notice that the petals begun to curl inward though.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9533474

Yes I have, but just a few here and there. I did have some cats back in the beginning of April and they devoured the milkweed, there were only three of them. Don't see anything laying eggs now, but milkweed is coming back nicely and will be ready for them. We actually caught the end of a Monarch emerging From chrysalis one day and that is just so amazing to see in real life. It was attached to our Schefflera tree by our fire pit all along and we never knew it was there.

All you have to do is practice with the camera, and get one of those "Dummies" books for your camera, it helped me a lot. But mostly just lots of practice and patience. But I think these cameras will be a lifelong learning session.☺

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 26, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9534306

Hydrangeas are beginning to bloom
vargigated
Tahitian waterfall - or something like that
endless summer
didn't think I had a white one...so keeping my eye on this one
Lady in Red has a lot of blooms

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9534449

Paula, that variegated one is stunning! Thanks for reminding me to go check on my hydrangeas. Every year I think they're dead, and they come back nicely every spring, then suffer from fungus and powdery mildew all summer . . . I should give up, but . . they are so pretty when they bloom. Then they're so ugly all summer I hide the pots.

Shooting star hydrangea
Caladium 'Scarlet O'Hara' is a new one for me. (I'm thinking it looks like a cartoon plant)
Brug. 'Charles Grimaldi' just started from a cutting last fall, already blooming!
Caladium 'Gingerland' is putting up delicate pink flowers.
Begonia 'Odorata alba' smells lovely in the mornings, and is getting way out of control.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9534523

You guys show stuff all year...(beautiful stuff I might add). it is just beginning for me. It will be awesome by August though.

Everyone have a nice Memorial Holiday!

Drew
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 26, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9534612

Look at my cute planter I found...I'm putting it down by the barn. I've got to decide what to put in it.

cannas are really growing
daylilies are putting on a show also.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9539260

Hey guys!

The weather here has been highly schizophrenic, what with being in the 40's one day and in the 80's the next...

I got the hardy bananas and gingers I ordered from Plant Delights last Friday and planted them, and have almost finished moving plants from my parents' house (still have 3 dwarf palmettos and several hostas, including a Blue Angel to get yet). I'll see about at least posting some kind of pic tonight after work.

Oh, and the "mystery arum" I mentioned about last fall has shown up again, bu the leaves haven't unfurled yet... I'll post pics when they do, because I could swear it is a Calla of some kind, but there is no way callas could survive the winters here.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 30, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9539311

Where is everybody?? I know you have pictures.

Not to be a downer, but yesterday was not good. A good friend of ours pulled over in front of a semi and is in critical condition with two cracked vertebrae and possibly a severed spine. He's in his 80s. One of our employees house caught on fire and burned 3 of her rooms and another employee collapsed at work and started having seizures and last I heard on her, she had brain hemorraging and they ran tests on her and there was no brain activity. This is a woman in her late thirties with two young boys. It breaks my heart! So those of you who believe in miracles and prayer, Please pray for all these families. On on top of that, my husband dad isn't doing well, he's having all kind of pain and they don't know what is causing it. They have taken him to a specialist this morning.

So...to brighten my day...I went on a 'treasure' hunt. This brightened my day. This thing is about 8 inches across and such a vivid red/pink. I hope the colors show true.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9539531

Paula, goodness what a terrible day! Here are a few flowers for you.

- Agapanthus
- a late Tolumnia (little tiny orchid)
- pink Brugmansia, don't know the name for sure, a start from Deb
- the pink and yellow brugs are shading the shelf unit with the orchids right now.
- yellow Brug 'Charles Grimaldi' is going to town despite an attack by the accursed spider mites!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9539541

- Spathoglottis plicata, I nicknamed this one 'Opal' because it goes from pale yellow and red, through purple and cream and ends up pink and white.
- same, only all yellow.
- lovely Colocasia 'Teacups' from Alice, recovering nicely and putting up new growth

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9539555

Paula, thinking of you and keeping you in my T & P's.

This is one of those "what the hays?" I have never had any gladiolas here but this is what popped up in an old pot of amaryllis. It is not the sort of thing a bird would plant. LOL

I wish I could capture the intensity of this Erythrina bidwillii, the red just glows in person.

My first tomatoes of the season, The variety is Tomatoberry and they are like little hearts.

I wanted to add that I found one of those scrunchy hoses they advertise on TV at my local CVS and I like it! It has cheap plastic fittings so it likely will not last too long but it is as light weight as they say and so easy to move around my deck, no dragging a heavy rubber hose anymore. However, it does not scrunch back like it does on TV, you do have to empty the water out but it is easy. It would be great in a GH, much easier than those spiral ones. Two thumbs up.

Paula your epi is gorgeous and Elaine, you always have the neatest variety of plants blooming. Just beautiful!

This message was edited May 30, 2013 11:56 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9539713

Paula, of course I will pray for your friends!

All the flowers are beautiful.

I had to put my best fur friend, (Harley) a 15-year old Border Collie, to sleep Tuesday morning, after he suffered a total stroke on Memorial day, so this hasn't been a great week for me, either. I am just sick and my heart has a hole in it the size of Texas - I miss his 'smile' so much!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9539780

Oh, Jo that is such a shame. I know how devastated we will be when we lose our cat, although she is only 12.

Here's something to cheer you up, too. First pic is one of four cuttings of P.quadrangularis that has been in water for nearly 2 weeks and has not wilted or lost any leaves. I think we may have a success here! Will send it along to you as soon as I'm sure it's rooting.

Always fun, the lobster claw Heliconias are starting to bloom their bizarre flowers. I must get after the ratty looking foliage, but I know my friends won't look at that, right?

Last one is a native orchid, Encyclia tampensis, with very tiny golden flowers, white lip with a little purple and a lovely fragrance!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9539784

Oh, that Orchid is just adorable! Yes, all the beautiful flowers help me feel close to all of you, my Friends - thank you for caring and sharing!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 30, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9539990

Elaine, Alice, and Kay...thank you so much! The gentleman actually came home today, my husband told me.

Our employee...nothing has changed. They did confirm and aneurysm and they think when she leaned over it triggered it and then she had seizures and a stroke. She has two little boys, one in 1st grade and the other in 3rd grade. Just breaks your heart. Information is limited since her husband doesn't leave her side and he's the only one getting the information. Please continue to pray for them.

Beautiful flowers!! I get the greatest thrill walking around outside seeing everything bloom. Seems like there is something different everyday. I went to Lowes today and found a EE named "Coral Ruffles' I think. Something like that...its one of the black/dark purple ones. I'm planting them in containers and lining them up down the driveway. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Going to the coast tomorrow to rest and relax...hahaha...got to work on the yard and flower beds down there.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9540229

beautiful flowers. prayers for all the pain and suffering. I have never seen such beautiful plants as I have in this lil room, the tropical thread., You are all so special.
Elaine it looks like an isabella, but if it isn't tagged it is a pink NOID, sorry!

we got 2 and a half inches of rain in about 6 hours. I got some water in the basement, YAY! LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9540453

I am wanting to replace my Dischidia pectinoides aka kangaroo vine or balloon vine - does anyone have one to trade?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 31, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9540457

My baby is graduating next year, so we have been taking pictures. Forgive me for being a proud parent, but I think she's beautiful! And smart too!!

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9540508

She is truly lovely Paula, you should be proud

Kay, I am so sorry for your loss. Our furbaby is going to be 8 in September, young for sure, but he has had so many health problems we never know if the next will be the last. They are part of our families, I know you are devastated, as we surely would be.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9540570

Paula, she is lovely! Alice, thanks for the encouraging words - yes, I am sick at heart, but he was in pain and had no quality of life, which he enjoyed for 15 years - sadly, it was his time to go.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9540675

Congrats Paula, It is ok to be proud. She is lovely. KayJones, I have never heard of that plant, and when I googled it, I thought well, that is just like her to want something so unusual! :)

You all have such unusual and interesting plants.
I know you will miss Harley, but he will be in your heart forever. I still have not been able to get past Duke enough to get another dog,.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9540677

here is what I found, Kay.. http://www.epiphytica.com/Dischidias.html
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

May 31, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9540793

Debra,
I saw that also and thought these are great plants. Think I'll order some. But they are in Thialand, so I'm not going there. I would love to take a trip to there and see all their flowers.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9540802

As to the pink brug, lol, please do not apologize. I really don't care what her name is, she's lovely. The flowers open pure white, then the pink rushes in very quickly. They were very pale pink in the cooler weather but are getting much darker now that it's warmed up. The plant is 8ft tall in the pot, and a blooming machine! I am battling a bad case of broad mites on Damien, though. Any new remedies?

Paula, your daughter is adorable. Nicest 'flower' you've shown so far! Fabulous red hat.

A little window box planter on one of the pool cage supports, planted with 3 colors of Epidendrum in it. I think it's going to look nice once they fill in.
The dark pink brug - it is the one that came tagged 'Insignia' but probably not.
Broke a long cane off one of my Begonia 'Don Miller' plants a while back. Here it is blooming, standing in a jug of water.

This message was edited May 31, 2013 12:27 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9540823

Elaine I have some stuff for your brugs, I will get it in a small vial and send it to you.. I won't be able to send until monday, I am on my way to work now..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9543035

Monster White brugmansia is putting on a big show. This is one of three big plants I've grown from one little cutting Debra sent me 2 years ago. She also sent me pale pink 'Cherub' at the same time and it is now so tall I can't get any good pictures of the blooms without using a ladder or a zoom lens. It is blooming now, as well.

Thanks, Deb. Any help with the mites is much appreciated at this point!

KayJones, the P.quadrangularis cutting is showing roots! Let me know anything else you'd like starts of and I'll put together a package for you.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9543904

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such a bad week, Paula... Mine wasn't so hot either... I got pulled over and fined on Tuesday, and just last night I found out that my grandmother was in the hospital with a back fracture (she'd been having problems with a couple of her lower vertebrae and was scheduled to recieve treatment to prevent just this)...

On a more positive note, I've managed to finally get the last of the "critical" plants moved from my parents' house to mine (not planted yet, it was too dark when I got back to the house). Included in this bunch were my last 4 types of Hostas, 3 "Mc Curtain" dwarf palmettos, one lenten rose (hellebore), the last remaining survivors of my formerly huge clump of giant reeds (the clearing they were planted in got grown over, and they went into rapid decline the past 3 years), a small Pawpaw tree, and a real prize: my one surviving clump of Arundinaria gigantea that I brought back from Chattanooga, Tennessee in 2005.

Since it was struggling (again, due to where it was planted becoming more and more shady and overgrown), I was afraid it might not have any rhizomes with viable buds on them (which almost always results in the eventual death of running bamboos), but I decided to dig it up anyways since I didn't have any way of easily obtaining more A. gigantea, and was pleasently surprised to find a small rhizome heading away from the main plant with viable buds on it.

My wife and I also bought 3 blueberry bushes at the local nursery yesterday and I planted them earlier today. They already have a ton of berries on them and they're starting to get ripe.

Also, all my hardy gingers and "Mekong Giant" hardy bananas that I planted last week are doing well. I'll DEFINITELY try and get some pics up tomorrow.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 3, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9544129

Hikaro
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know all about the moving of plants...that's what I have been doing the last couple of weeks also. Finally sold our house so I am digging up the ones I want at my new house. It is back breaking work. But I am almost done. I dug up and moved a 5ft. Fatsia and it seems to be doing good. I water it every day,so hopefully it will make it...it's been over a week.

sadly our employee passed away...she had the aneurysm and the doctors could not find any signs of brain activity. Sad, sad,sad!!!

I hope in the next week or so to list a lot of plants that need new homes. I have got to get rid of some. I may list them here first for all you guys to see if you would like them. I ll probably do a few at a time so I don't get overwhelmed and confused with who wants what.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9544164

Oh, me, me, me! I'll pay postage or trade when you get settled in your new home and see what you need. Just let us know.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America