Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Black Walnut shavings and lumber

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

May 1, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9504196

I've been offered black walnut planer shavings to mulch my vegetable beds AND some scrap black walnut lumber to build raised flower beds.

I know that planting under black walnut trees is a problem. But what specifically is the problem? The leaves? Something in the soil because of the walnuts themselves? All I can find on the net is don't plant under the trees... not WHY?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9504209

This might help: http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/fruits/blkwalnt.htm
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

May 1, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9504243

THANKS, just what I was looking for...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9504498

You're welcome. We have Black Walnut trees all around here. Many times the squirrels "hide" them in my planters and I have to dig out many newly sprouted little trees every year. But the nuts are good. :)

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 1, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9504536

Do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT, get anything from a Black Walnut tree near horses. They cannot even walk on shavings - it poisons them quickly (goes right through the hooves).

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9508099

Oak also poison to horses tho slower
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9517984

Black walnut is negatively alleopathic with some plants. Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc) and Brassicas are said to be particularly susceptible to the chemical (5 hydroxy-1, 4-napthoquinone) released by the walnut. Other plants are more tolerant of the chemical, but in my experience most have some negative effects from black walnut.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America