-
AuthorContent
oldgal67
London, ON
Canada

May 2, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9505370

Do you use a CPAP machine and are worried about what to do with all those big distilled water bottles? Here's a way to use some of them year after year. Cut a hole in the bottom roughly 2" x 3.5" (difficult to do but a wood burning tool or similar implement does the job in seconds - open a window first!). Cut off the entire top of the bottle down to where the straight sides begin. Poke four little holes (one on each side) an inch or so above what will be the bottom of the protector to insert garden staples through. Plant the seeds, or seedlings, put the protector in place and press the staples firmly into the ground. The hole in what was the bottom but is now the top will allow for air to circulate but will keep any varmints off. Gentle misting through the hole keeps the ground moist and creates humidity.

It does work and is not only a lot cheaper than buying such protectors from garden suppliers but keeps some of those big water bottles in use.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9506126

Sometimes I cut the bottoms off 2-liter soda b ottles and use them as small cloches to prtect seeds.

But usually I cover the whole bed with chicken wire to keep cats out and deter squirrels. Ground chili peppers didn't last much past watering day or a drizzle.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 3, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9506580

Milk jugs with bottom cut out work too.
I place a stick through to hold them from wind and critters.
I might copy the chicken wire idea as I have a roll.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America