Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference: Thyme?

Communities > Forums > Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference
bookmark
Forum: Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's ReferenceReplies: 0, Views: 0
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ratlover1
Rising Sun, IN

May 2, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9505375

I must politely disagree with the addition of thyme in the 'not worth the effort' category. I did note that you specify 'named selections', so I am guessing that specific varieties are hard to grow or do not grow true from seed.
However, I have several beautiful species thyme plants (Thymus vulgaris) that I grew from seed (Artistic Gardens) and they germinated without difficulty. In fact, my plants have self-seeded and I have quite a few volunteer plants throughout my herb garden. Just thought I would mention that it is possible to start thyme along with your basil, oregano and so on to make an herb garden from seed.
I certainly agree with the difficulty of growing lavender and rosemary from seed, however! Lavender, in my case Lavendula vera, germinates pretty well, but does require patience. Rosemary I haven't had much luck with. I believe I started a dozen or more seeds, of which only perhaps three germinated, with the end result of one surviving seedling. It was only a couple of inches high when last winter arrived, and apparently it wasn't well enough protected because it sadly didn't survive until spring.
However I have the blessing (or curse!) of gardener's eternal optimism, and I have another 6-pack of seeds started and of course this year they will all sprout and grow to tremendous proportions...right? :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
nice article! onewish1 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:44 PM
Blue Poppy Debsroots 8 Feb 26, 2009 1:33 AM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:42 PM
Your article. leeflea51 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:39 PM
geraniums mothermole 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America