Photo by Melody

Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference: Thyme?

Communities > Forums > Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference
bookmark
Forum: Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's ReferenceReplies: 0, Views: 0
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ratlover1
Rising Sun, IN

May 2, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9505375

I must politely disagree with the addition of thyme in the 'not worth the effort' category. I did note that you specify 'named selections', so I am guessing that specific varieties are hard to grow or do not grow true from seed.
However, I have several beautiful species thyme plants (Thymus vulgaris) that I grew from seed (Artistic Gardens) and they germinated without difficulty. In fact, my plants have self-seeded and I have quite a few volunteer plants throughout my herb garden. Just thought I would mention that it is possible to start thyme along with your basil, oregano and so on to make an herb garden from seed.
I certainly agree with the difficulty of growing lavender and rosemary from seed, however! Lavender, in my case Lavendula vera, germinates pretty well, but does require patience. Rosemary I haven't had much luck with. I believe I started a dozen or more seeds, of which only perhaps three germinated, with the end result of one surviving seedling. It was only a couple of inches high when last winter arrived, and apparently it wasn't well enough protected because it sadly didn't survive until spring.
However I have the blessing (or curse!) of gardener's eternal optimism, and I have another 6-pack of seeds started and of course this year they will all sprout and grow to tremendous proportions...right? :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
nice article! onewish1 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:44 PM
Blue Poppy Debsroots 8 Feb 26, 2009 1:33 AM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:42 PM
Your article. leeflea51 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:39 PM
geraniums mothermole 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America