Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AubreyB
Bossier City, LA

May 2, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9505889

I have a beautiful bird at my feeder I have never seen before! And I have spent HOURS scouring the internet with no luck. I am just a beginner at birds, but I thought I knew all of the local ones...

Sorry for the bad pictures, they are through an old screen in our new home, and we havent changed them yet...

He is bigger than my normal sparrows, but he is shaped like one. His beak is pink/orange. His cap is very dark in shade, but shines with a reddish tone in the sun. He has a very faint grey line down the center of his head. His cheaks are a brown.
Here is what throws me off...
His throat, breast, and rump (under his tail) are a lush buttery yellow! So yellow in the sun, the first time I saw him, I thought he was a Goldfinch!
His tummy, however, is whiteish. He has no markings on his breast or tummy at all.

Standing next to my cardinals, he is the same size, but broader in the shoulders.

He is so pretty and very brave...The first 2 photos he is actually watching me photograph him! The last photo is a finch with him on the feeder.

If anyone knows what he is, please let me know! So far, he is the only one, but I would love to see more!

Thank you!!

Thumbnail by AubreyB   Thumbnail by AubreyB   Thumbnail by AubreyB   Thumbnail by AubreyB   Thumbnail by AubreyB
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9505925

The best I can see this is a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak. We will see ours later this month.
Here is an image from the bird files here to compare your bird with.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/showimage/300/
AubreyB
Bossier City, LA

May 2, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9506028

Thanks, Chillybean!
It really looks like it! Mine doesn't have the speckles on her breast, but does that matter? Every bird is different, even in the same species.
AubreyB
Bossier City, LA

May 2, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9506041

After looking them up on google, I am sure that is what she is! I will keep a look out for her mate! Sure wont be able to miss him!
Thank you again!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9508048

Ditto to female Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America