Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9507765

What an odd way of growing a cactus. Did they say why it is grown that way?

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9507870

Some of the greenhouses down in Tucson have them planted that way. I really don't like it. The plants seem uncomfortable to me! I think they do it because it is possible and some people like oddities and will buy them.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9508170

A curiosity to be sure...I would think the plant would be rather confused...
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9508178

Amazing. A first in cacti for me.
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9508524

Interesting

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9508545

You know what might be fun to try upside-down is epi cactus. I mean they grow in trees and on rocks in the wild so upside-down isn't too much of a stretch.
Keeping them from falling out of the pot could be an issue, LOL.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9508836

A while back when searching for a plant ID, I ran across a picture of a group of epis...the poster had used 6 inch PVC pipe about 6 feet long (painted green) and used a hole saw to cut staggered holes...kinda like a spiral down the top to about 18 inches from the bottom. He used 3 of the plastic coated heavy metal garden stakes, sunk them in the ground and then slipped the pipe over the stakes, filled the pipe with planting medium and planted epis up the pipe like a strawberry pot. He had a few of them scattered through his garden...they were really striking.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9508972

That's an interesting idea. I have quite a few epi's. One I have is a really prolific bloomer, it would be really nice in a "pole" planter.
You know you could even make hanging pole planters for epi's. I have several Oak trees in my yard and could easily hang a perforated pole from one.
You could even add a built in watering system with access at the bottom of the pipe on larger pipes.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9508991

I thought it was pretty neat...and it looked so cool seeing the epis spilling down the pole...I went searching but couldn't find the pictures/link again...seems like a pretty basic idea though. He also had what looked like 4in clay sewer tiles cut to varying lengths and grouped together around his garden. They were full of succulents and small cacti and again made an interesting display

where to find them

http://www.manta.com/mb_35_E810302S_000/clay_sewer_and_drainage_pipe_and_tile

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9509007

Talking about different kinds of planers. A friend of mine just bought some "on the wall" planters made out of what looks like rain gutter. I was thinking I could make a pretty cool "room divider" for outside with 3' sections of rain gutter mounted between some say 2x4's and then make a base by just bolting another 2x4 to the bottom.
Would make a really cool succulent planter.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9509045

That would work...I also saw one that used a couple old shutter style bifold doors and coir fiber sheets. The coir was used to make plant pockets and stapled to the slats...the design showed a few slats removed for air circulation/light and the two doors were left hinged with a board attached at the bottom for stability. I would think you could use a good weedblock cloth for the pockets also...Depending on location, a double sided wall would be neat for morning sun plants on one side...full sun plants on the other.
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

May 6, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9510389

The cactarium looks like heaven to me. Wouldn't upside down be harder on the root system? Guess not they look like the plants are older ones. Interesting to see the watering of these plants.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America