Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pondlove
Lewes, DE

May 4, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9507561

My shubunkin have started spawning. It seems a little early in the season, but they are chasing each other around and writhing up against the flower pots and the sides of the pond. I guess they are trying to replenish their ranks after the blue heron visits this spring. He took a few but my fish are smart enough now to hide. I just wish the heron would stop pooping on my mailbox, my fence, my roof...!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9507779

I've seen my sarassas chasing each other around too... Must be that time of year! We had one weekend of rain, and I had to go out with a net and do a toad relocation mission. Had at least 35 pairs ( yes pairs!) breeding in the koi pond. The sound was deafening, and the egg strands were clogging up the pumps. Took them all in a tubby to a little stream bank about a mile away, came back home and found another 12 pair in the water. sheesh...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9507790

Sounds like fun. Beats the snow I woke up to. The wind blew off the top of two of my raised beds, replaced them, one blew again, replaced, blew again before I went to bed. Left it. Then it snowed.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9509428

Snow... ugh Mary...

Double ugh!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9509468

Snow is all gone and melted. Warm and nice outside (45F). Damien is helping me finish the raised beds. Fun to work outside together. Been a miserable week in the cold, sleet, soggy ice ground trying to work on it by myself. He even took me to breakfast. And I got roses yesterday. Said I could use a little sunshine. sigh
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9509569

We could all use the sunshine. I went to see my girlfriend in Rochester this past weekend. The drive home along Seneca Lake was beautiful. All the cherry trees, crab apples, apple trees, dogwood are in full bloom and when I got home, I saw that my lilacs are starting. I love the smell of lilacs in bloom.

You can just see the Kwanzen cherry over my pond is in full bloom. She was closed up tighter than a drum when I left for Rochester Friday night.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

May 5, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9509652

We're coming into our dry season now (officially started 1 May) but it's been dry for a while this year. Virtually no cloud cover and the sun's still got quite a kick to it. Water levels are dropping fast. My Blue-eyes (fish, not me) have played the multiplication game quite well. A lot of other fish are in non-permanent water so will become bird feed. I usually put some into a few other ponds that I have but that's only a small % of them. It's part of the natural cycle here.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
11:06 PM

Post #9509968

I always want new words to say 'beautiful' ' lovely' 'peaceful' ---- guess I am not very literate. But it surely is all those things.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2013
1:24 AM

Post #9510000

Did not mean to be off topic earlier - Seems we generally are seeing the koi breeding in early August, however last year was much earlier.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2013
2:29 AM

Post #9510013

Carolyn, love that cherry tree just beautiful. Wonderful to see you all coming out of winter. We got some rain and many plants are now starting to bloom.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9510483

Thanks Bonnie - it wont' take long and all of those petals will be in the pond. We will be netting them out twice daily for a couple of days. After that, there won't be any netting out leaves until fall.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9530592

Carolyn,
what are those green plants that look like they are in 2 lines in your pond?

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9531060

2 lines - do you mean over by the fence?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9532310

Took a second look--its a shrub that is over the water. DUH
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9532338

Bonnie

there are a bunch of shrubs - if you are talking about over by the fence, there are a black knight butterfly bush, a little princess spirea and several clematis that are growing on the fence. If you are talking about the bog over by the fence, there are variegated cattails and a rogue water iris.

If you are talking closer to the camera - there is a euonymous (sp?) and a lemon cypress.

I am not sure what part of the photo you are talking about.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9533460

No sweat its all beautiful. Everything you have planted around your pond is gorgeous.

Got so excited yesterday, one of my big koi named Blondie let me pet her and then took off. Did it again this morning.

When I get the time to clean ponds I'm sure she'll be able to see me better coming at her with the cherrios. They are eating like pigs.

Got to get back to work on window treatments. I'll be so glad to be done and get back outside and try to get caught up on the weeding. My friend gave me a sign that says the weeds are wining and I think its right.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all.

Bonnie
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 1, 2013
3:17 AM

Post #9541625

pond and garden pictures

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 1, 2013
3:19 AM

Post #9541627

more

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 1, 2013
3:21 AM

Post #9541628

still more. Got to stand the tree up and tie it to the fence

mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 1, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9541630

still some more, The garden is across the street from the house and you can enter from the back of the garage or through the Japanese gateway.

mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 1, 2013
3:31 AM

Post #9541633

lilacs smell great at the entrance. Double French pinky lavender. Clematis on the lattice. I need to do more weeding before I can show more of the pathways.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9542540

Oh Mittsy, sure reminds me of the woods in Conn. I grew up in. And at one of our places in RI called Bitterdweet Farm we had lilacs that lined the whole driveway which was about 300 feet and when they bloomed the smell was heavenly. I sure do miss them. Whoever had owned the place before us really loved flowers and shrubs cause it was loaded. At the time I was too busy with jobs and raising 4 kids to really appreciate it all. Bittersweet grew all over the stone walls all across the front. That place had 7 acres of mostly woods but in front lots of nice plants and shrubs.

Second set of pics third from left is that a red maple? Beautiful.

We can tell you really love plants and it looks so nice.

Bonnie
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2013
1:29 AM

Post #9542823

Yes, it's a Japanese red maple. I've received a lot of trees, shrubs, and plants over the years as birthday, Mother's Day and anniversary gifts. Yesterday we celebrated our 50 year anniversary. Last year I received a gift certificate to the Borglum's (you dig) sale of irises. I planted them as soon as I got them home so I hope last year's planting will reward me with beautiful blooms this season. I chose all Siberians. My pond had three different water lilies blooming yesterday and I forgot to go get the camera. I'm in hope that they will still be blooming today.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9547093

Mittsy

Gorgeous photos. I love the serenity of plants and shrubs and wooded areas. I can almost smell the lilacs. Our lilacs were gorgeous this past year and at some point, I would really love to go to the Lilac festival in Rochester. Funny thing, I have lived in Rochester on and off for a great number of years - you would think I would have hit the Lilac Festival long before now.

Love your pond - what types of waterlilies do you have?
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 6, 2013
2:08 AM

Post #9548146

Carolyn scroll down and you can see my water lilies.

http://davesgarden.com/tools/tradelist/manage.php?list=have&offset=200

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9549083

Mittsy

it says 'your list is empty'
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 7, 2013
2:48 AM

Post #9549522

I don't understand it as when I click on the link it takes me right to it. Maybe someone else will try it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9550180

Mittsy

In your settings, you can check or uncheck a box that allows others to read your diaries and journals.

mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 7, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9550218

I don't have any diaries or journals, just my tradelist.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9550303

Mittsy

I went into your trade list by letter and pulled these up - they are gorgeous!

Hardy Water Lily
Nymphaea - 'Charlene Strawn'

Hardy Water Lily
Nymphaea - 'Mayla'

Hardy Water Lily
Nymphaea - 'Mme Wilfron Gonnère'

Hardy Water Lily
Nymphaea odorata 'Arc-en-Ciel'

Hardy Water Lily
Nymphaea x marliacea - Chromatella'

I particularly like 'Mme Wilfron Gonnère'

Carolyn
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 8, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9550713

Carolyn, I'd be happy to send you one as soon as it warms up a bit and I can get into the pond. The Madame W. Gonnere is very prolific. I have several open pollinated crosses of Seneca Pastel Charm blooming for the first time this year. Both plants came from the same pod,bloomed on the same day, but what a difference in color.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9551339

Mittsy

I appreciate the offer - I am going to wait on that. Not sure what I am doing yet. This year, we did the Waterlilys differently this year and I am not sure if it is going to work - so I may take you up on that later. DH wanted to put all the lilies into tubs instead of the individual pots and I don't seem to have much in the way of pads showing yet. Not sure if his idea is going to work. Funny thing, I offered to get into the pond to do the fertilizing and that was shot down.

I want to mention - my female fish seem to be swelling quite large this year with eggs. Not sure if it is because they are another year older or if it has something to do with water conditions. MM, do you know?

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9551460

My females were very large this year too, even the younger ones. I had wondered if they developed a bit later, due to the weird weather, and now that it's so warm (and bit later in the season) if they are just more eggy than usual. The one female seemed very large, so I gave her an injection of Ovaprim, so she'd spawn within 12 hours.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9551822

MM - did the Ovaprim help? My biggest problem would be catching them to give them the injections. Funny you mention the smaller females as well - I too, noticed that even the smaller female koi were getting larger. Mine don't typically spawn until later in the summer, although I do recall it being earlier last year.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9552075

If there's a fish in doubt, and I know the water is warm, I catch them, soak them in a tubbie of Tricaine water (an anasthesia that makes them fall asleep and roll over, almost looking dead) It usually take only 5-8 minutes before they're asleep. Then I give the females an injection, and 2 males an injection as well. Usually, before I can even wake up, they've already spawned, and the remaining eggs they haven't eaten, are everywhere. Otherwise, I just let mother nature takes it course, and don't worry about it. I lost a 2 foot matsuba last year, due to being egg impacted, and it broke my heart, so now I worry if it looks like someone is in trouble. Koi breeders use Ovaprim (it's a fish spawning hormone) to breed a specific high end female with a high end male, instead of allowing flock spawning.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9552338

I've talked to them but nobody will admit to being a boy or girl...so how do I tell...yup! really new at caring about such things. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9552366

Q

Too often the males and females look alike. I read that males have a torpedo shape and females tend to have a more rounded body. I have also read they have differences in the shape of their fins. The only way I have really been able to tell is when they are spawning or doing the 'dance' that leads up to spawning. Mine are all doing that 'dance' now, where the males are chasing the females.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America