Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Water Worms or tragedy?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
captKirkS
Jackson, MS

May 4, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9507913

This morning I saw the most amazing site: hundreds of baby earth worms wiggling in a pool of water at the end of my driveway. We just had 2 days of torrential, non-stop rain that saturated the ground and usually sends worms onto the carport, seeking dry ground. I try to save them but they are usually so soggy, just touching them causes them to fall apart.

I'm assuming these baby worms rose to the top of the soil to escape the soaked ground and got washed into the gutter where the water accumulated. I've been trying to scoop up as many as I could and place them in the drying soil.

It just seems so strange that I sorta question my assumptions that these are worms that just got a bad deal from mother nature. I'm I correct?

This message was edited May 4, 2013 12:44 PM

Thumbnail by captKirkS   Thumbnail by captKirkS   Thumbnail by captKirkS
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9507939

That looks like a lot of worms. You must have a good population in your yard. I have a boggy area in my back yard that just stays saturated, constantly wet, soaked, boggy, and yet it is just full of very, very tiny earth worms. They must be able to stand a lot of water, but I don't know how long they could stay underwater on top of pavement. I do know that on the end of a hook they can survive under water for quite a while.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9507947

Happens every time it rains enough to saturate the ground... yes, it's nature.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2013
9:51 PM

Post #9511336

IME once they reach that pink stage they can no longer survive. The other clue is that they fall apart when you try to move them.

If you can get them earlier, then you could probably place them on higher ground, perhaps somewhere in your garden that does not get quite so wet for so long.

Yes, they are probably washed down from other properties. While they like it damp, they cannot survive long term under water, so will usually come up out of the soil when you have that hard a rain. I have no idea why they keep moving until they are in a deep puddle and then stop, and do not continue moving until they are away from such a spot. Sort of like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire in reverse: They are getting out of the wet soil, and landing in the puddle.
amxntransplant
Mexico City
Mexico

May 6, 2013
11:00 PM

Post #9511370

Can you start a worm farm for castings for your garden I wonder? (Probably tough if they are smushy when you pick them up, huh) . Too bad, thats a ton of worms!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2013
11:08 PM

Post #9511374

You could start a worm farm, if you could catch these guys while they are still healthy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America