Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Are my bulbs still good?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dragonflys4me

Dragonflys4me
(Chris) Ankeny, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9508480

I've had these dwarf iris and mixed tulip bulbs for over a year - how can I tell if they're still viable or not? Is it mushiness, dryness, what? :)

Thanks!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9508511

If they are dried out or mushy, they are unlikely to be viable. If you're unsure, you can always plant them, though I would not expect great things (they should have been planted in fall after they were purchased).
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 5, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9509240

If the bulbs still have their brownish skin (like tissue paper) and when given a gentle (very) squeeze, and they are firm, then plant them in a pot (large) with some nice compost, when weather is suitable, set the pot outdoors, keep watering AS REQUIRED, don't over flood them, and maybe there will be some greenery on show this year, I dont think you will get flowers but hey, nature has a way of showing us who'e boss in a garden. after the greenery has died down, remove it and either plant the bulbs outdoors or leave in the pots in a sheltered space where you wont forget they are there.

Why I think you should plant the bulbs is: All bulbs are like the store cupboard, all the goodness a bulb requires (apart from sun / water/ soil is held within the bulb, so IF you were to cut say an onion in half, right down the middle inside, you would find the next years greenery points and pos flower spike already there, after the bulb has grown the greenery and flowered, you leave this to die down as this gets taken back into the bulb to feed it for the next year, we need to help the proses by giving some feed, humus added to soil, water, and keep the area weed free

I would not give up just yet IF the bulbs are firm and nor diseased,
Good luck, WeeNel.

Dragonflys4me

Dragonflys4me
(Chris) Ankeny, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9509427

Thank you to both of you - I'll plant them and see what happens :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America