Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: Need help with algae

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 35, Views: 256
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9508549

I have a small water garden that has algae like hair in it. I want to get rid of it, but I have trapdoor snails. I don't want to kill them or use harsh chemicals. What can I do?

Erin
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9508678

Erin,
This is string algae. If its in a tub just scrub it out with a brush. If in pond in ground I drain down and pressure wash it out and then add new water and new bacteria. Go to pet store and usually they have plenty of algae killers in stock that don't harm fish or snails. Another way is put algae eating fish in there.

Bonnie
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9509082

I had considered draining it. I'm just concerned about getting rid of all algae because of the snails. I just didn't want to kill them. I tried a fish safe (not sure about snail safe) algae killer in my inside fish tank. Some of my fish died and my moss ball almost died too. :(

Erin
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9509433

Bonnie is right - use a brush when the algae gets out of control. Don't drain your pond and start over - it will start the cycle all over again. Just leave the same water in there to cycle through so that your good bacteria can start to colonize. Every time you drain your pond, it has to restart.

I do know that Green clean will take care of algae and not hurt your fish. I have not seen where it will hurt your snails, but I am not 100% on that either.

The safest way is with a brand new toilet brush.
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9509501

Okay, but the entire pond is clogged with it. I mean like no open water. Same thing? I pulled a bunch out, but it just came back. Should I remove the plants and try to clean them too?

Erin
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9509560

Erin

if you can take out the plants, then I would do that - spray them off with the hose. Can you get some of the Green Clean? I know that Dr. Foster and Smith sells it. In the meantime, I would remove as much as possible with your brush. How did you end up with so much algae? Is there water flowing in your pond or is it stagnant?
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

May 5, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9509604

I had a very large above ground tub that was getting a lot of algae. Kept scooping it out but it grew back like crazy. I put some tadpoles in there to save them from a drying up waterhole. Within a week the algae all disappeared. Had to start feeding the tadpoles lettuce so they wouldn't starve until they morphed. The algae still hasn't come back and the tadpoles are long gone into frogdom.
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9509673

I have a small fountain in the pond, so it's not stagnant. Not sure how this particular kind of algae found me. I can take all the plants out. They're either in pots or just placed in the water. I got some manner of algae killer for my fish tank. I'll have to look at it, but as I mentioned earlier my fish and a moss ball didn't like it.

Erin
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2013
1:22 AM

Post #9509998

Perhaps the tadpoles would help. Can you get tadpoles? I know ours just became available - not sure how much further ahead you would be in Florida.
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9510872

Not sure if I can get tadpoles. I had them when I had half whiskey barrel water gardens. They started to come apart though. So, I got rid of them and got a bigger pond that I put into the ground. I kind of wish it wasn't level with the ground, but I know it insulates the water. I just think it is safer elevated. Wish I could figure out a way to have both insulation and elevation.

I took a picture of the pond in all it's gruesome glory. Even my little pond fountain is clogging. I'll be cleaning it when I clean out the pond.

Erin

Thumbnail by tarziesgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 6, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9510904

Tarzie,
What plant is that in the pond? Looks very invasive.

I use salt , peroxide when i/ notice algae but no formula. i do not like to spend a lot of $$$ on the different algae fixers on the market.

Belle
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9510990

I think most water plants are pretty aggressive, at least in my limited experience. The plant I think you are asking about is called water mimosa. The algae killer I used in my aquarium is called Algaefix.

Erin
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9530588

Erin,
You can have an elevated pond. My sons is completely on a cement floor on his lani and he has put those curved cement edging blocks from Lowe's all around it and then cypress boards cut to angles that fit perfectly around top and it looks great. He added a rope light also. My husb. cut the boards for him as they all had to be mitered but you could use pieces of landscape timber cut to height of your pond and that would be cheaper to do.

BTW from having all new AC ducts put in I have 3 large pieces of insulation board left over and was going to throw it to the garbage men but if you want that for insulation it sure cuts easy and I would save it for you. Its all brand new but I can't handle it cause of the fiberglass in between the layers of aluminum foil. I did take it outside and broke out all over my arms cause I was too foolish and didn't have long gloves on. Just let me know. You could also pick up some more cow manure for your plants if you need it.
Bonnie
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2013
1:31 AM

Post #9532052

Bonnie,

That is an extremely generous offer! I think I'll have to pass on the fiberglass though. I can just see my kids getting into it! Does your son have fish in his pond? I just thought I'd cook any fish in the summer because it's in full sun. It would be on dirt though and not concrete.

Erin
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9532237

My pond is in ground but gets nearly full south sun all day long, I got and off set patio umbrella, 9 footer for about 100 bucks, and it keeps the pond water temp down. I leave it down in the AM and put it up for the noon to 4 "cooking time". My pond is in the front yard its about 12 x 8 oval and the umbrella does a great job.

Thumbnail by quaqbe

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9532305

Son does have fish in his pond but it is under roof of his lanei . My old pond gets lots of sun every day and so far its been fine for 5 years. If your pond is small you could put a little aerator in there during the summer. I've had some pretty high temps and so far didn't effect the fish in big pond.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9533462

Quaqbe, your pond is in a great location. Hope all your fish are well.
Bonnie
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9534061

Quaint house quaqbe. :)

Erin
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9534660

I came home from work one day and two of my friends had painted it the way yo see it..what a shock, but i love it. i put the pond in the front yard so all my neighbors could also enjoy it. I see people I didn't know even lived in the neighborhood, lots of older folk with grandkids. Because i am a certified back yard habitat, I plant things that attract songbirds, hummingbirds and butterfly so we also have lots of activity for the kids to watch. one year i even had the local middle schools camera club come by to practice nature shots, very cool. Right now, for the first time in 10 years I am struggling with pea green water. I have ordered a 26 watt UV light which will go right into my skimmer box...no plumbing required. We'll see...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9534786

It is beautiful. How does one go about becoming a certified back yard habitat? I would love to do something like that.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9536705

Sure wish I had friends that liked to paint that much. Thats wonderful.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9538320

http://www.nwf.org/Home/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife.aspx?campaignid=WH10DGWP?s_src=CWH_GardenWebsite_Create
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9538322

http://audubonportland.org/issues/backyardhabitat

...and this is the one from Audobon.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9547457

MM, you are quick on the draw...both those URLs are good. To be certified (not certifable..LOL).. you need four things...water, where birds etc can bath and drink, hiding places, nesting places, and food...pretty easy for us ponders...since I put in the water feature, I have documented 34 different species of birds...including the great blue heron, ug!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9547622

[quote="quaqbe"]since I put in the water feature, I have documented 34 different species of birds...including the great blue heron, ug![/quote]

We can all do without Mr. Heron.

pondlove
Lewes, DE

June 5, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9547635

I can do without Mr. Heron, too. I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my very own pair of gator heads to baffle and amaze Mr. Heron. No only will Mr. Heron be taken back by the sight, but I think my three cats will be shocked. I'll let everyone know what their reaction is.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9548535

thought y'all would get a giggle out of the attached picture...did u know if a heron gets wet he can't fly? Anyway that is our experience. this bird got caught up in our net and I couldn't let it drown. I grabbed it and cleared the netting and then said to my husband..."here hold it" he said what? I said hold it I need to go get the camera...you can see the result.

Thumbnail by quaqbe

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9549076

I did not know they couldn't fly if Mr. Heron got wet. I love the look on Mr. Heron's face while your hubby is holding him. Don't you just love it when you see a facial expression cross an animals' face?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9585540

I got a kick out of hubbys expression also. Glad he is holding the beak as they are excellent spear fishermen.
Only have seen one year my old pond and he was poised on the fence near it. I liked to flipped and ran out front door with broom which was quickest to grab and scared him away. So far have not seen him back. I do have metal heron beside old pond. It's vertigrae (can't spell it) and was given to me by a friend. I don't really think its a deterrent but it looks good there. I think they are protected by law but he had better carry that statute right with him if he comes around my ponds again.
Love seeing everyones ponds. They are all beautiful in their own way. Thanks all for your pics.
Bonnie
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9586068

last Sunday finally finished the rock work on the top, and thanks to MM my water is clear. Can anyone tell me how to reduce the "swamp" smell of the pond..its gross. The pics show how clear the water is and u can see my four "kids" the yellow on is 11 years old.

Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9589159

Your pond is beautiful and now you can enjoy your fish cause you can really see them.
Great job. Definitely worth the effort.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9591085

The swamp smell means you need more bacteria/enzyme...aka sludge remover. The good bacteria will eat up the bad bacteria that's making it stinky. Even if you don't actually see sludge, the bacteria is needed.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 8, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9591938

MM
I use baking soda .

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9592085

I so agree - also, the more plants you have submersed in the water the better. If you could plant some water iris in the weir of your waterfalls, that will help as well.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9592091

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-Bio-Balls-Beneficial-Pond-Bacteria-Eliminates-Bottom-Sludge-Murky-Water-/260985187946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc3edee6a

I often use bio-balls like on this link. Walk by, plop one in every now and then...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9600736

I use Prolilne bacteria in a bag from Pentair Acquatic Eco Systems. 1-877-347-4788.
1 oz bags 6 -1oz. bags for $13.75 or 8 oz bag $10.00.
Just drop it in and bag disolves. Use when temp is above 50.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America