Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

agave what?

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Bought at the nursery, unmarked. Would like to know what it is. First two pics.... I also got a sharkskin (with about 8 pups) and a lovely americana variegata.

Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym
Fountain Hills, AZ(Zone 9b)

Looks like A. seemanniana (aka A. pygmaea). They're very tender.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

More new agaves... you're on a roll. Can't help you on the ID question. Not sure that's an americana in the third pic, it looks sort of leafy compared to the ones around here. If it's a proper americana it will consume that entire area within a few years, especially if it gets regular water. Even if it doesn't. I planted one here that I don't water at all (6" rainfall this past year, with an 8 month-long drought), and it keeps on growing. A variegated americana can grow even bigger than the regular blue kind, which is already quite ample.

You can keep the Sharkskin on the dry side, and don't expect real fast growth there... my experience anyway. Here are three offsets I planted in the park a year and a half ago (biggest one was 3 gallon size upon release).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks! I am questioning that "americana" one. It is so symmetrical and completely different than the one I already have. Mismarked does happen. Anyone know what it could be instead? The sharkskin is pretty in those pictures!

And, just great, I end up with another tender one. My poor poor attenuata bums me out. I must be more careful now I guess..... I was very bad about winter. I failed to cover all the work we did last summer. :(

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Ok, question... Tender how? To frost? Heat? I can't find much info....

Looks like stock A. americana marginata from here. It won't get as large nor grow as fast as plain Jane A. americana, but should still manage 5'-6' across some day.

They get to 8-9'+ here. Are they "Aurea" then?

This message was edited May 5, 2013 10:07 AM

Are you referring to the ones with the big super floppy leaves? If so, they do get enormous, but they are apparently variegated A. salmiana v. angustifolia, rather than A. americana.

Well, that explains the difference then. Thank you. Quite a few of those around here.

This message was edited May 5, 2013 10:36 AM

One of my favorite Agaves and on my want list. I'd take that over americana any day -- if I had the room! There is one in the area here about 7' tall and 12' across. It never pups, I've looked.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

My 'Sharkskin' and x 'Sharkskin Shoes' are very slow growers, but the shoes puts out lots of pups. Thankfully they don't pup far from the parent; and take forever before they are large enough to be separated. xuling

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

GermanStar, I have a bunch of pups on that one. Message me if you'd like one and I'll drop it the mail. :) I left the pups on it, they were just starting to sprout out. A lot of them!

One like this?

Thumbnail by GermanStar
Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

This one (you thought Aurea, right?).... I also have sharkskin pups.

Thumbnail by kinym
Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are better pics. It has about 6 pups about to pop out.

Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym
Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

See this is my americana... That's why the shape of this new one confused me. This one has not pupped yet, but when it does I'll gladly share.

Thumbnail by kinym

Quote from kinym :
Here are better pics. It has about 6 pups about to pop out.

Thanks, but that is just A. americana marginata as I had previously indicated, not the far more exotic A. salmiana v. angustifolia. Very different animal.

This message was edited May 6, 2013 11:46 AM

Quote from kinym :
See this is my americana... That's why the shape of this new one confused me. This one has not pupped yet, but when it does I'll gladly share.

No, that appears to be A. salmiana v. angustifolia (hard to be certain at that small size, but it seems likely). In my small experience, they are very stingy puppers.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Hahaha ok.... So the yellow one IS Americana. And the one I thought was Americana, a lovely gift from Domehomedee, is not Americana. PHEW! Very confusing. Got it.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Dee had said it was pupping a lot, constantly spreading.... She may have more pups. It was quite a hit smaller in summer and has really taken off.

Just wait, it's only just starting. Looks like you gave it a lot of room, smart move.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.