Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: May Blooms

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 49, Views: 534
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9509090

What's blooming for you? 1st: Echinocereus rigidissimus ssp. rubispinus (Ruby rainbow) Native of AZ cooler climates than Phoenix. 2nd: Echinopsis oxygona 'Pink'

This message was edited May 12, 2013 4:37 PM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 5, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9509123

Nice! Your first one is way ahead of mine. This is Sarcocaulon (Monsonia) crassicaule.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 5, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9509161

Dyckia ?"Brittlestar" and pollinators. Also popular with the hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero         

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 5, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9509167

Dudleyas. One example each of tube-shaped, open, and cup-shaped flowers (this is one way to separate the plants in the genus).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9509194

Nice Sarcocaulon (Monsonia) crassicaule Baja. Mine bloomed with 3 flowers in April. They look so delicate.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 5, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9509391

Echinocereus pentalophus, I think.
Ugly plant and always looks stressed but after seeing how large the flowers are, I like it now.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9509619

My old one (first one) has never looked so stressed as the above. But it sure puts out the flowers. In fact I had to purchase another and planted it so it could spread out more. They are wonderful plants and flowers. xuling
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 5, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9509638

Too much sun or not enough water or both? I had in less sun but it was still pink. It turned that color over the winter. I am not actually sure its hardy in my zone but we had a really mild winter so I left it out. Maybe it needs a new pot and some different soil. None of my other cacti look that bad.
C

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9509792

I have mine planted under a citrus tree and it only gets a little dappled sun. I had it out all winter but did cover it. We had 5 nights in the 20's for several hours each night. I don't water it too much. Sometimes it does shrivel some and I water it. It does flower with that care and the arms are green.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9509798

Mine is out in the open year around. Part of it gets a little respite form the summer sun by a Crassulae that grows next to it. But it gets all the winter rain; and when the freeze comes around I cover everything with burlap blankets. This past season was the worst with about 10 nights in the mid to low 20s'. I had lots of plants die due to the extended freeze, but not the pentalophus. It is developing flower buds for this season now. Good luck. Xuling
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 6, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9510505

Dudleyas are cool plants but I don't think they grow here.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 6, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9510536

They don't grow most places, unfortunately. They go pretty much on autopilot here, though. Occasionally mealies take interest and the flower buds can attract aphids, but that's it. Best thing is they can take lots and lots of sun in containers. And they are hummingbird magnets, which is always a bonus.

Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9515269

Nice flowers! LOTS blooming the past few weeks, but this one I had to post - I got it years ago (2010) from Detrick, and it's happily grown ever since...and never produced a flower.
This year it finally decided to produce a single flower...and open on the one night I was out of town for work. Sigh...

Jacob did a great job capturing it's beauty though.

Thanks, Detrick!

Thumbnail by Minime8484

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 9, 2013
10:39 PM

Post #9515296

A few Pachypodiums. I noticed today that some creature nibbled the buds off another plant. They must be tasty.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9517460

Hi NancySLAZ, to me your Echinopsis looks like E. oxygona or a hybrid of E. oxygona. I cannot see the spines very well, but it looks like the plant looks a lot like one I have that was identified as E. oxygona 'Pink', with the flowers having a pinkish hue. I have attached a picture of mine (3rd), with a bloom earlier in the spring.

Other things blooming in my yard, many opuntias, examples in pics 1 and 5 (Opuntia macrorhiza (Plains Prickly Pear) and quitensis (Red Button Prickly Pear)), Cereus hildmannianus subsp. uruguayensis (extra ribbed and longer spined form - pic 2), and Hamatocactus hamatacanthus (pic 4).
It has been pretty good so far this spring, starting with the aloes in the winter. The three Palo Verdes are also covered in yellow flowers, which is always a great sight, but with as negative that we have yellow snow falling all day, it will be a 'fun' clean up when those are done. The Tecoma stans (yellow and orange bells) bushes are going nuts after recovering from the freeze in February. In addition, all my Gymnocalyciums have either just bloomed or are in the process of blooming as are many of the Echinopsi. It is hard to keep up getting pictures.

This message was edited May 12, 2013 3:57 PM

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9517465

All of a sudden I noticed two of the pentalophus blooms going crazy in the sun. Here is one of them, and there are 10 more buds ready to open. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling         

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9517975

mcvansoest: Yes I think mine is E. oxygona and I will label it. Isn't your #4 Hamatocactus hamatacanthus? I know #5 is Opuntia quitensis (Red Buttons). I have one also but mine has not bloomed yet. Is yours in the sun a lot?

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9518209

NancySLAZ, you are right, I have corrected the labeling error.
Yes the O. quitensis is in the sun quite a bit, the main bush is in full afternoon sun (from about 1 PM - 5-6 PM) and after an initial unhappy stage seems to be coping quite well now. When I planted it I had many pieces fall off and now have numerous new plants in pots, some are in more shady spots while others (including the one in the picture) mostly get morning sun. The main plant has also flowered, but I have had it flower much earlier and much later in the year no real sense why.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9518262

Echinopsis 'Dutchman's Gold'

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ         

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 12, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9518282

OH that's nice Nancy. I wish they were reliably hardy here.
C

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9520644

E. 'Dutchman's Gold' withstood 5 nights of temps in the low 20's for hours at a time. Didn't bother it at all. I don't know how cold it gets in Arlington though!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 14, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9520679

Colder than that some winters for a brief time period. I have had other Echinopsis that have died during colder winters here.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 15, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9522081

Cactus companion plants in bloom.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9522092

All I have blooming right now are some Mamms. And Gasteria liliputana.
Gary

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9522215

Here some pictures of the Gymnocalyciums that I have that are blooming: G. baldianum, G. mihanovichii var. friedrichii twice at different angles, G. pflanzii var. marquezii and G. saglionis. The have been going since early April, especially the G. saglionis had a wealth of flowers. They have made up for many of my Echinopsi skipping a season. E. eyriesii, E. x 'Los Angeles' and a few others have had some flowers, but in general it has been disappointing with the Echinopsis flowers for me this year.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 16, 2013
2:52 AM

Post #9522329

The first photo was desert marigold. This one is my favorite, fame flower.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 16, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9522782

Nice looking Gymnos! Here are Parodia scopa, Graptoveria "Debbi", Echeveria "Spruce Oliver", Euphorbia fruticosa, E. obesa.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9522830

Some stunning flowers/plants

Pleiospilos compactus ssp. canus
Crassula barkleyi from seed
Aloe schelpei
Huernia zebrina in full swing
Lithops naureeniae

Thumbnail by Little_things   Thumbnail by Little_things   Thumbnail by Little_things   Thumbnail by Little_things   Thumbnail by Little_things

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9525796

Most of my Echinopsis are slower this year. They are budded but not moving along to open. Hope they don't drop off. That frustrates me so much! Here Echinopsis backebergii that has bloomed several times already this spring

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9525837

Echinocereus reichenbachii in bloom. This specimen has bloomed 5 times this Spring, but generally when I am not home. This one is happy growing directly on a porous rock in my back yard. What a tough plant!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon      

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9525885

Nice, my E. reichenbachii bloomed twice with a third on the way, never got a good shot of the flower as it usually happened when I was at work.
Here are some more pictures of what is blooming right now in my yard: Cleistocactus smaragdiflorus, Mammillaria bocasana roseiflora, Mammillaria guelzowiana, Opuntia quitensis, and Cylindropunti ramosissima nudum.

Yeah, pretty frustrated by the Echinopsi, many have buds, but nothing appears to be happening. I was hoping for some of the colorful hybrids that I got last year to give me some blooms, but buds and nothing else yet...

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9526033

Still only Mamms. in bloom. I have two more on the way and several Echinopsis with buds.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 19, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9526122

Echinopsis flowers at dusk, dawn, mid day.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 19, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9526137

Today 1

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 19, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9526139

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 19, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9526151

A couple of presumed Gasteraloes growing in full sun.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 23, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9531428

Opuntia microdasys, Echeveria puldonis gone to seed, Euphorbia bupleurifolia (mostly male but a bit metrosexual), Dudleya attenuata (open or "flat" flowered, native to BC and abundant locally). Note the true leaves are mostly a different color than the flower stem leaves on this plant. Last picture shows how the Dudleya looked upon arrival 4 years ago (just discovered the photo). It has really taken off in the last year or so.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9533495

Love the Dudleya contracting pics! I hope my E. bupleurifolia blooms someday! Love yours!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 25, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9533638

It should bloom freely once it's a good size (maybe 2 inches). Every time it puts out new leaves.

For bonus points, identify the flower in this picture that has 6 petals. Elsewhere on the plant there's a 7-petaled flower. How weird is that.

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9533997

Some flowers from today. 1. Chamaelobivia 'Westfield Alba', 2. Echinopsis eyriessii, 3. Caesalpinia gilliessii (Desert/Yellow Bird of Paradise), 4. Echinocereus scheeri (although I am not 100% sure of the ID on this one yet).

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9534454

Middle of pic at the very top shows a flower with 6 petals. And there is one with 7? Weird for sure.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 26, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9534758

Yeah. I don't normally go around counting petals on flowers, so I don't really know. Only noticed that because of the photo.

Lots of flowers here (mainly buds) are bug magnets, so I'm more focused on seeking and destroying tiny sucking bugs. Similar visual task but different target. A few plants here have never actually flowered because I have to nip infested inflorescences in bud every time. Dudleya hassei has been perfectly consistent that way.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9536191

Mre Mamms. and an Opuntia bloom.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9536331

Very nice Mamms! I have a couple of Ferocacti in blooms. F. glaucescens (pic1), which is blooming for the first time, and one of my F. cylindraceus, which skipped a year, but is working towards a nice little crown of flowers. pic2 is of the whole plant which is now about 5 feet tall taken in February, pic3 is off the little crown of buds and pic4 is of a couple of open flowers. You will notice all the fallen Palo Verde flowers. I spent most of the day today shop vacuuming the gravel to clean up all the fallen Pale Verde flowers, which formed a layer up to an inch thick here and there. They are beautiful when in full bloom, but it is a lot of clean up!

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9538858

Sedeveria, Aloe brevifolia, and various succulent volunteers by the side of the road (Mesembryanthemum, non-native). The flat leaved plants are M. crystalinum and the round leaved plant in the last shot (mostly buds at this point) is M. nodiflorum.

Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9543265

Nice!! Baja

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9543679

How about some good ole Prickly pears...I planted this cutting (4-5 pads) this year and look at the beautiful blooms...zone 6a

Thumbnail by ladyj512   Thumbnail by ladyj512         

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9544786

Love the Mamms and all the Opuntias! Did you start the non-native plants Baja?

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9544811

No, they planted themselves. Those two species are incredibly tough. They have naturalized themselves in much of Baja California, especially along the coast (apparently tolerant of saline conditions) and in sandy places (very low nutrient needs). Because they are annuals, they dash to flower and then fade off during our dry season. When they do well, they form huge mats. In a relatively dry year like the past one, they tend to be much smaller. In the alluvial soil we have around here, there are areas with almost pure sand, and that's where the mesembs dominate.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 9, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9552268

Not may but...

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw   Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw         

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America