Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: split leaf philadendrum

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kamikid
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9509419

Do I Have to condition split leaf before I use it and keep it fresh for 3 days?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9510287

What are you using it for?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 6, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9510695

I have seen these larger leaf types used in flower arrangements and has become very popular, as far as I know all you need do is while the leaf / stem is still on the plant, use a leaf shine product, it's a spray, or a wash you dip in cotton wool, always use gloves for this leaf shine work. you can buy these leaf shine products from garden stores or some florists.
A word of warning, when cut, these plants give out a milky sap, it lasts only a short time and can be wiped away with soft cloth, BUT for some people, they may have a reaction to this sap.
The plants I have here in UK from this family are called Swiss Cheese Plant's and they grow tall like climbers and have long aerial roots that pop out frm the main stems, the roots from the stems and under ground are very fleshy and easily damaged. I have to support my plant and train it us a moss pole which gets misted every couple of days due to be indoors and winter dry heating.
Good luck, hope this helps you out a bit.
Best regards. WeeNel.
Kamikid
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9512212

I will be using it for a wedding. It will be used under the groom's cake table. Thank you for the replys.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9512257

Hi Kamikid. I found some info for you on using the leaves in floral arrangements. I also read that if you dip the stems in glycerin (available at your local pharmacy) the leaves will last longer.

http://www.denverplants.com/floral/html/philodendron_monstera.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America