Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Clueless about rosebush pruning!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigkim11
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9511690

Hi - I'm a 3rd generation NYC apartment dweller, so please forgive my ignorance. I just bought a house in the burbs and have a backyard that has several trees, flowers and shrubs planted in it. I don't know anything about gardening, so I've just started reading up and I really want to learn as much as I can. Anyhow, there's a rosebush that I'm guessing has been around for quite awhile, with a peach tree right behind it, and some other shrub/tree next to it. The rosebush looks really wild to me and I don't know where to start trimming. Some of the vines on it extend up into the peach tree, and they must be at least 15 feet long! If anyone can give me any tips on how much of this bush I should trim, and if this type of rose should be given a trellis/support, etc...any info would be appreciated! I took a pretty bad picture of it, but it should give you an idea. Thanks!! :-)

Thumbnail by bigkim11
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9512145

Roses are very forgiving of severe pruning. They can be cut almost to the ground and be the better for it. Has it flowered for you yet?

Also, welcome to Daves and congrats on the new home!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9512168

go to finegardening.com and look at the videos of pruning roses. It has how to prune 3 different types of roses. It sounds like you have a climbing rose.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9512169

Looks like climbing rose to me, too. I should have said.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9512483

Roses are often grafted.
This means that a type of rose that grows nice flowers is grown on top of a rose that has a strong root system.

The root system can also grow branches, and often they will look like a climbing rose.
I am not saying this is what has happened to your rose, but it is a possibility.

Go ahead and cut away the parts that are too tall.
If it is growing with a lot of arching branches, then it highly likely is a climbing rose, and will need some support.

If the branches are growing from under the ground, then it might be the rootstock growing.
These can have nice flowers, often they are red, and do not have as many petals as more formal roses.
When you see flowers, take a picture and post it here.
bigkim11
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9513110

I'll check those videos! thanks everyone for the helpful comments :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America