Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Salvia dead or alive?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beelady13
Sabattus, ME

May 8, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9513066

I planted Salvia Gruppenblau in front of our home - Maine Zone 5 - 2 years ago. Last year it came back beautifully and filled in some areas nicely. I am noticing there is no green anywhere on any of them (7) , just the 'sticks' from last year while the rest of our perennials are coming up. Is there a chance they are all dead? I am logging everything this year, sure wish I had last year! My memory wants to say that I saw green by this time. Would appreciate any advice. Don't want to wait too long if I need to replace and also don't want to be to antsy lol

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9513086

I would suggest that you ease the soil back from one of the salvias and see if the roots appear to be alive and the crown firm. Try gently scraping the base with your finger nail to see if there is green under the bark. From details on growing, your salvia is hardy to zone 7a...and considered a half-hardy plant. If I remember correctly, last year, winter was a bit milder than this past winter. Chances are they did not make it. Sorry.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 8, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9513546

I would do the test as themoon has suggested, it's a more delicate way of trying to find out if there's life in shrubs, plants and even young tree branches, just be gentle though as IF there is any growth busting out under the soil, you don't want to damage it, also have you given the new emerging plants a good watering, maybe a liquid feed but use half strength, I am only now seeing my perennial plants break into growth now and this is about 5 weeks later than usual but we have had a very prolonged winter, very wet and cold with the most snow for many years, guess what I'm saying is, there is still time for new shoots to come so be a little more patient, a couple more weeks wont hurt, but by the end if June, give up I would say.

Best regards and good luck, WeeNel.
beelady13
Sabattus, ME

May 18, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9524629

Thank you for your advice! I have one out of seven with a little green growth coming. I am going to check them again today.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9524786

I do hope more survive for you...please let us know how they are doing...
beelady13
Sabattus, ME

May 27, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9535412

I planted some tall phlox near them for backup...Still looks like more casualties than not :(

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9535507

So sorry they didn't make it...the phlox will be lovely though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America