Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Palms and Cycads: Trachycarpus takil

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Petey12
Kerrville, TX

May 9, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9514514

I have just read a palm forum that wrote about a misidentification of the Palm Trachycarpus Fortunei. nantil. These Nanatil had been sold for years as being Trachycarpus takil. It stated that this misidentification was discovered in 2009, and that by 2010 seeds sold as Takil were in fact that plant and NOT nanatil.
So, if I have just received seeds from a major seed merchant, those marked as takil, should be true takil, right?
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

May 9, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9514773

Not necessarily. I've found that many nurseries stay with the same name regardless of changes. Seed merchants would rely on their sources to identify seeds. Unless the differences are significant they wouldn't know they were getting something different. It can be a "lucky dip" situation. You could contact the merchant and ask if they can guarantee their seeds are correctly identified, pointing out what your information is about that species. See what reaction you get. If you already have the seed then just plant them and see if the plants can be identified (a few years later of course). And then there's the possibility that by the time your plants are large enough to identify taxonomists might have changed everything around again. Identification of plants isn't necessarily straight forward.
Petey12
Kerrville, TX

May 9, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9514857

Thank you for the response.
Well, that certainly clears things up. All the more reason to buy plants, rather than seeds.
Based on the possibility that my seed merchant might not know the difference between an orchid seed and a palm seed, I will continue with the germination process, and enjoy whatever comes up.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America