-
AuthorContent
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 9, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9514696

I just got this beauty last week and got ready to pot it today. But after looking it up I'm a little unsure about what container to plant it in. Because the leaves are so small, thin, and delicate looking (although it does have some nasty thorns!) I assumed it would stay smallish, but in reading about it I find it can get to be a up to 60 plus feet! As it grows it will develop round stems and the leaves will grow off of them. Right now it is in a 3" pot, is a lovely lime green, and has several flower buds. Here's the DG link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63972/#b

I'm hoping some of you have experience with it and can help me decide what to plant it in. I was going to plant it in the pot shown and am wondering if I root prune every year or two, say by 30%, will I be able to keep it to say 18" tall?
Thanks for any information.
Annie

P.S. Sorry it's upside down. I can't for the life of me get any photos posted on DG that are right side up lately. Haven't been able to figure out what to do.

This message was edited May 9, 2013 3:13 PM

This message was edited May 9, 2013 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 9, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9514807

Reminds me of the upside-down cactus from another recent thread. Ha!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9506067&extraimg=1

Interesting... if I drag your upside down image to my desktop and open it there, it pops up in the right orientation (with the tags on the bottom corner). I have no idea why it gets flipped for the forum.

The combination you've chosen looks great to me, but I have no experience growing that plant. I would imagine it has to be in the ground to reach 60 feet and will bonsai if it stays in a little pot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America