Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: pinky winky hydrangea

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 13, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Yorkknit
Aurora, IL

May 9, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9515111

I just received 2 pinky winkies. The space they will be in is 4ft x 10ft. Would you advise planting one pinky in the space, or planting two and then do a lot of pruning them to fit the space.
i'm afraid just putting one in will not fill the space.
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9515930

I'd plant both.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 10, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9515944

Ditto, I'd plant both too, don't prune till you need to really cut them back (after a couple of years) if at all, 10 feet is not a small space for 2 shrubs so don't worry, anyway after several years you can always dig them up with care and replant them.

I like plants growing a bit closer to each other as when they kind of intertwine with the next plant, it looks much nicer than a row of shrubs with identical spacings between them, in nature you don't see that so a garden border should be the same, it gives space for under planting bulbs ect too.
Good luck, WeeNel.
Yorkknit
Aurora, IL

May 10, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9516275

Re:my question of yesterday about the pinky winky hydrangea, they are supposedly supposed to grow to 10'. If I plant two in that space, won't I have to prune way too much, or doesn't that hurt a plant, to prune a lot?? I'm new to this so pardon the questions!! Thanks for responses so far!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9516324

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161849/
spacing says 4-6'

Is the area 4' wide? or 4' deep? would definitely work at 10' wide and may work at 4' wide if you plant 1 at left edge and other at the right edge

Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9516582

I wouldn't plant each at the far edge- if the bed is ten feet long I would plant one at about three feet and one at about seven. Fill in the gaps with perennials that you can relocate as the hydrangeas grow larger.
Then when they do get their size they will appear as one huge mass.
I'd be tempted to put a small tree in the middle but that's just me. I have my Pinky Winkies surrounding the area under a Forest Pansy redbud- I like the way the pink blooms look under the burgundy foliage. The tree's canopy is not dense enough to block too much light.

They are very amenable to pruning- you won't hurt them at all tailoring their shape to the space or look you want. They bloom on new wood so you won't interrupt blooming either. Some folks let them grow crazy and other cut them back severely every spring to encourage larger blooms- totally up to you.
I tend to let them grow as they like but do a bit of pruning early each spring to direct the growth in a manner that fits their space. But by and large let them grow.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 11, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9516775

There are many shrubs (and Hydrangea's are shrubs NOT tree's) that require pruning to keep them either to a more manageable size and to keep them healthy, more flowers or to keep them bushy and more upright in stature, or take out crossing or damaged stems/ branches that allow disease to enter.whatever you reason, they do need pruning and it causes the shrub NOOOOO pain. more often these shrubs benefit from pruning every spring..

other shrubs wont take to hard or frequent pruning as these type produce the next years flower buds as soon as the older flowers are dying off (Rhododendrons for instance) shrubs of that ilk only get pruned after several years IF they are outgrowing there space given.

The picture of your own Hydrangea was a point in question, the stems /branches laying on the ground are a perfect example because the stems are not thick enough to hold up-right the heavy foliage and add to that the flowers when they begin to open, are heavy so this alone with make long spindley stems fall along the soil and become damaged, get eaten by ground crawling insects and probably trampled on by mistake as you work the area.

I am not saying you cant let the shrub grow to 10 feet if that is what you want but, remember even if you stake the branches up-right, there will be several feet of bare stem and the flowers will be too high up to enjoy them or there colour.
Personally I would go for proper pruning to allow the shrub to spread outwards rather than upwards, each year (I prefer Spring pruning) when the leaf buds are beginning to burst into life, remove half the hight, remove any crossing branches, and cut away some growth in the middle of the shrub to help form a goblet type shape as this will allow air to circulate the middle and prevent some of the diseases that come with over crowded branching of flowering shrubs.

After spring pruning, give a feed about a handful around the root area and rake or fork this into the soil. you will be surprised at how healthy and formed the shrub will look in the space you have. IF you want something that will fill a space and hight of 10 feet then I would choose a small tree that naturally wants to grow UP to ten feet without growing along the soil.
Hope this helps. good luck. WeeNel.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9517057

Info on Bluestone
Tall 6-8' (Plant 8-10' apart)
Info on Garden Crossing
Height: 6-8 Feet Spread: 6-8 Feet Can be easily maintained as a smaller plant or trained into a small tree, Moderate to fast growth habit

I don't see how you'd fit this into 4' wide space, unless you religiously keep pruning it...(I wouldn't have time for all that)
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9517568

I love pruning so I make time :)
It's just once a year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9517623

Ditto to Jen.

I'd give each one a planting area to itself. Seeing well grown and tended hydrangeas in their full beauty is wonderful and it would certainly be easier to prune, as needed, with space around you rather than being squeezed in between the two hydrangeas.

We bought this one (left side of the collage by the hostas) in 2006. Look at how it has grown and the last photo isn't even current. The toy horse, by comparison, hasn't grown a bit! It blooms beautifully right down to the lowest branches.

If you want a hydrangea tree 'Limelight' is delightful.

Pruning is fun and yet loses some appeal after the 10th or 20th or 50th hydrangea.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Yorkknit
Aurora, IL

May 15, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9522085

Thanks to all who have been answering my emails, I just started this forum and am amazed at your knowledge Nd willingness to share so much with me!
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2013
3:29 AM

Post #9522348

Quoting:Pruning is fun and yet loses some appeal after the 10th or 20th or 50th hydrangea.

Heh, not for me.
I'd rather prune than eat chocolate!
Nothing better than spending the day making the garden beautiful!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9522517

We currently have 100 hydrangeas and at 72 it's just not enticing for me to spend weeks doing the exact same job and neglecting all the other work of the gardens. I only eat the chocolate when it's too dark to work outside...even with the outdoor lights!
Yorkknit
Aurora, IL

May 29, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9538943

Any ideas for a good disease resistant hybrid tea rose? I'm in zone 5.
Thanks to all for your wonderful and generous input. I'm really learning a lot!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America