Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: Calling all Stapeliad experts!

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 3, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
franj
Tucson, AZ

May 10, 2013
1:23 AM

Post #9515329

Hi all,
Well, I finally got one of these to live long enough to give me a flower. Or rather I got lucky and found one at a favorite nursery that had a bud about to pop, I've only had it about a week. Wow, what a flower! Three inches across!

This is my fourth try at growing Edithcolea grandis. The other three succumbed to rot before they got this far. Anybody out there know the tricks to growing/propagating this plant? I think one of my early mistakes was in bare rooting and re-potting the plants in my own mix. I always do that because I prefer a soil mix to peat. This time I just pulled it out of the nursery pot and plunked it in my own pot, backfilling the extra space with almost pure gravel. It was grown in peat and perlite. I'll water around the edge of the pot and do my best to keep the stem dry and water say every two weeks or so. I live in hot, dry Arizona and water my cacti once a week and my other succulents twice a week. But I've read these can go a long time without water. Am I on the right track? Also propagation.That long stem with the flower is just begging me to cut it off and root it, but I've heard they are difficult to root. Any suggestions?

While we're on Stapeliads, does anyone recognize the Huernia in the first pic? I would like an ID.

Dave

Thumbnail by franj   Thumbnail by franj   Thumbnail by franj
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

May 10, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9515831

Wonder, maybe H. zebrina var. insigniflora variant or hybrid thereof ...
Another H. rosea or hybrid thereof

Do not much about grandis, but they seem to be not liking cold, humidity - see some grow in sand. Lovely flowers they have, but such a shame that they are so touchy...

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9517982

I don't water my Stapeliads very often, even in summer. Maybe every couple of weeks. They rot so easily. It is better to give too little. If I see them start to shrivel a little, I will water. Also, mine are in only very early morning sun so mostly shady.
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9518475

I live near Chicago so my climate is dramatically different than yours but for what its worth... I grow my E. grandis in small pots (underpotted) in a very well draining mix of roughly equal parts of pea gravel sized lava rock/mushroom compost/coir/Napa. They go outdoors in a spot protected from direct sun in the summer and are allowed to be rained on. I only cover them if we have several days of rain in a row. From October - May they are indoors under lights and are watered weekly. They are not saturated but they get a splash of water. They seem to be happy with this treatment.

Initially I had trouble with them rotting when I had them in larger pots but since under potting them and ignoring them they have done much better.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America