Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Coleus: New Coleus?

Communities > Forums > Coleus
bookmark
Forum: ColeusReplies: 6, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 10, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9515439

This one with feather-like foliages is bred from seeds. I doubt that its parents could be some cultivars of the Carefree series although it looks like Under the Sea Bone Fish, which I have failed to preserve recently.

Thumbnail by Yubiker
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9526503

Definitely not bonefish, but one of the fernleaf varieties. I don't know if my bonefish made it over the winter.
Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 19, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9526571

I have never purchased any similar cultivar with feather-like foliage (such as Kiwi Fern). It could be propagated as a sport from some cultivars with round stems, which were named as “Saber Series” before.
Bone Fish is a difficult one for me to preserve, I failed because it cannot get accustomed with the substratum I used before, I think I should use peat moss next time.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9527078

The plant on the right is Bonefish. I think the one of the left is red coral, and I cannot recall the name of the center coleus.

The Under the Sea series is not readily available here in the states, and I don't know how hardy it is.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 20, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9527226

Your Bonefish and Red Coral look very good. I believe the roots of them thrive very well under the substratum you prepare for them.
As regards the center coleus, I think it is similar to this one(http://forums.plant-seeds.idv.tw//showthread.php?t=95072&page=13) , could be Copper, Burning Bush or Ruby Laser, I am not sure.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9527863

They are from last year. When I checked your link, it was in something i cannot read, like Korean.

I took cuttings over the winter and rooted them in water or perlite. A few I kept in small pots. I do not plant coleus in the ground, only in containers. I used purchased potting soil and added perlite or vermiculite to lighten it up a bit.
Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 20, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9527968

Thank you very much. Your information about adding perlite and vermiculite seems very helpful to me. I will do as you suggest next time.
The link is written in Chinese, if you want to know any part of it, just tell me, I will translate it to you in English.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coleus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OFA Containers goodoldbake 61 Jul 17, 2010 5:21 AM
Tree- shaped coleus Tomtom 67 Mar 23, 2011 8:41 AM
New project georgiagarden3 26 Apr 3, 2007 8:06 AM
Coleus standards..how to.. Eclipse 44 Feb 15, 2009 1:10 PM
1200 Step coleus addiction Program sugarweed 180 Mar 11, 2008 1:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America