Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Coleus: New Coleus?

Communities > Forums > Coleus
bookmark
Forum: ColeusReplies: 6, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 10, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9515439

This one with feather-like foliages is bred from seeds. I doubt that its parents could be some cultivars of the Carefree series although it looks like Under the Sea Bone Fish, which I have failed to preserve recently.

Thumbnail by Yubiker
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9526503

Definitely not bonefish, but one of the fernleaf varieties. I don't know if my bonefish made it over the winter.
Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 19, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9526571

I have never purchased any similar cultivar with feather-like foliage (such as Kiwi Fern). It could be propagated as a sport from some cultivars with round stems, which were named as “Saber Series” before.
Bone Fish is a difficult one for me to preserve, I failed because it cannot get accustomed with the substratum I used before, I think I should use peat moss next time.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9527078

The plant on the right is Bonefish. I think the one of the left is red coral, and I cannot recall the name of the center coleus.

The Under the Sea series is not readily available here in the states, and I don't know how hardy it is.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 20, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9527226

Your Bonefish and Red Coral look very good. I believe the roots of them thrive very well under the substratum you prepare for them.
As regards the center coleus, I think it is similar to this one(http://forums.plant-seeds.idv.tw//showthread.php?t=95072&page=13) , could be Copper, Burning Bush or Ruby Laser, I am not sure.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9527863

They are from last year. When I checked your link, it was in something i cannot read, like Korean.

I took cuttings over the winter and rooted them in water or perlite. A few I kept in small pots. I do not plant coleus in the ground, only in containers. I used purchased potting soil and added perlite or vermiculite to lighten it up a bit.
Yubiker
taipei
Taiwan

May 20, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9527968

Thank you very much. Your information about adding perlite and vermiculite seems very helpful to me. I will do as you suggest next time.
The link is written in Chinese, if you want to know any part of it, just tell me, I will translate it to you in English.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coleus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OFA Containers goodoldbake 61 Jul 17, 2010 5:21 AM
Tree- shaped coleus Tomtom 67 Mar 23, 2011 8:41 AM
New project georgiagarden3 26 Apr 3, 2007 8:06 AM
Coleus standards..how to.. Eclipse 44 Feb 15, 2009 1:10 PM
1200 Step coleus addiction Program sugarweed 180 Mar 11, 2008 1:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America