-
AuthorContent
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9519091

You all might be interested in this thread , a link to video on vultures feeding at my place is contained on the thread there.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310381/

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9520091

Hey, that is neat! I like these birds. We tried attracting them to our yard a couple summers ago with meat we had in the freezer for waay too long, but after a few days we think a nighttime critter made off with it. The Vultures did circle around our yard and an immature one landed on a hay bale in the pasture. We think they didn't go to the meat while we were there, because they didn't like the noise of the children going nuts in the house whenever they saw the vultures.

I wish more people liked them... I was rather disturbed by this article from the Omaha online paper. I used to live there, so like looking at their news now and again, but this made me almost ashamed to say I came from there.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130502/NEWS/705029919/1685#hansen-omahan-grossed-out-by-unwelcome-new-neighbors-turkey-vultures
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9520453

Chillybean,

I sent an email to Mr. Matthew Hansen and called and talked to him asking if he would consider doing a follow up piece . I sent him a link to the story about the vulture crisis in India - Nepal - Pakistan;

http://antranik.org/the-great-indian-vulture-crisis/

He said that he wished he had that information when he wrote the story but that with his column he does not generally do any follow-ups .

I am sure that there are those who consider me nuts for doing what I am doing but that is thier opinion . I consider that they are one of the most graceful fliers in the sky. Somewhere I believe I read that when the Wright brothers studied birds to build thier Wright flyer , vultures were one of thier favored birds .

Lets hear from a few more admirers of these creatures.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9735394

I was thinking about your post and wonder how your project went. Our Vultures have left for the winter and I see all that roadkill, wishing our clean up crew was here. :)

My husband has been throwing the mice out in the pasture that get caught in traps. Just probably feeding the neighbor's ferals. :( I am thinking that we should just freeze them to save for when the Vultures come again. We've put worse in our freezer, so this doesn't bother me.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2014
11:28 AM

Post #9741699

The first Bald Eagle I ever saw was perched on road kill. I admit I have been less impressed with our national icon ever since. But I didn't blame the bird for the dead deer - It was obviously hit by a car. It would be more logical to get the heebie- jeebies at the sight of a speeding car.
But phobias by definition aren't logical - I'm afraid of bats.
Mountaindweller
Dolan Springs, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2014
11:02 AM

Post #9762251

Well, chillybean, I just gotta ask... What could be worse than frozen mice?!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America