-
AuthorContent
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9519819

Hi all at Daves garden, we have been away for 5 years nearly so have alot of catching up to do here smiles. Looking forward to catching up with old friends and making New ones.
This is about or creation of our acre garden and rebuilding of our derelict cottage on The Western Isles of Scotland. For those may be interested.
Chapter one.
The last time I was on Daves Garden was 5 years ago 2007 alot of changes gave taken place since then.
We have over an acre of garden, we live on the Western Isles of Scotland, definitely not an easy place to garden, we rebuilt a derelict cottage and created a garden out of moorland.
We do not originate from the Island we are from the mainland of UK. A tiny little village in Northumberland. We had a very small garden there, but well kept many hours of work, It was orientally themed. May daughter unknown to myself had entered the garden into a major gardening contest, run by Thompson and Morgan seeds and Garden News, we were very pleasantly surprised, when we won gardener of the year. This was in 1993. This inspired me to want a bigger garden and a cottage that we could renovate.
It would have to be done on a shoestring. So we set off looking around the UK trying to find somewhere that we could afford, we is myself and my daughter, she is also like me a mad gardener. So after having no luck on the mainland, we decided to go further afield to the Highland of Scotland, we went through a few possibilities and some of the small Islands of Scotland, we were travelling in a caravet towing a small caravan, after many disappointments and seeing various properties, we decided to hope on a ferry and go to the Western Isles. were we found this derelict cottage with an acre of very boggy moorland. I remember it was a terrible day, nothing but rain and mist. We found the owner of the property and finally got to see it, will ad some pictures later. About 8 months prior to this happening I had just went through 2 major operations after a serious accident. I had a 60ft fall, which I was determined I would recover from.
Anyway back to seeing the property. I took one look and said to my daughter " there is know way I could do the work that is needed to the property", the roof was totally gone and had been open to the elements for 12 years. It would have needed to be striped out totally and a new roof, no electric, totally derelict. so feeling very sad a deflated, we decided to travel to the ferry to go home. Fortunately though we missed the ferry and had to find somewhere to park so we could sleep over. All night long it was torrential rainfall, could not get a wink of sleep of the noise of the wind and the rain. But eventually when daybreak came the weather had quietened down. I opened the door on the caravan to behold a beautiful site, I was looking across a deep valley with a sea loch and the sun was glinting across the water. We had an early breakfast and decided to go and have a look at this derelict cottage. I guess it must have been the sunshine. that made it look more inviting and my daughter Mary-Anne said "Go on dad you can do it, I will do everything I can to help".
The cottage overlooks a fresh water loch and is in sheep territory and the peace and tranquillity was so beautiful, I guess at this point we both fell in love with it. But did we have our work set out to make it into a home. The dream I had as a young man, was going to turn into a reality. This is where I will ad some pictures. You must appreciate we done all this work ourselves just the two of us, we had to live in a trailer for 2 years while making the house water tight and liveable.

Thumbnail by PaladonPerry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
4:12 AM

Post #9519823

As you can see we made a lot of progress in a few years, the locals tormented us and said it was impossible to have a garden on the Western Isles, and besides it is sheep territory! But I said to them just wait and see, they said that the land was no good, could never get rid of the rush its too boggy and impossible to have a fancy garden like what you showed us in the magazines and we do not like changes around here.
Little did they know just how many massive changes there would be to our property. This made us even more determined to press ahead with our plans to create a beautiful garden.
We had decided to bring as much as we could of our old garden and also a greenhouse so that we could start growing plants. I do agree that clearing the rush was a monumental task.
We were constantly laughed at in our face and tormented by the crofters and they were not very pleased when I told them they could not raise there sheep on the land anymore. As sheep and gardening do not mix!
So here is the next picture of what we achieved after a few years. Before on top and after underneath. I think you can see the difference. My daughter Mary-Anne worked as hard as I did in achieving this. The dream is starting to come true now

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9519841

We are very busy at the moment, planning this years garden out, we open the garden for charities every year now and in the last three years, we are now keeping 18 peacocks many pheasants and many unusual varieties of chickens, that we hatched ourselves in our incubator. We have Indian Blue peacocks, pure white, Black shoulder and Jarva which are green peacocks, we also have the largest breed of chickens in the world as well as the smallest breeds of chickens in the world. so there will lots to share on this thread, for those who are interested.
Sadly the weather is terrible here at the minute, does not seem to know what season to be in.
The greenhouses pollytunnels and conservatories are full of plants, but the weather is still not good enough to plant out yet. I expect many will be having the same problems all over the world, due to climate change.
Will be adding more to the thread as I go along.
At this moment we are making a very large pheasant pen as we have had a lot of pheasant chicks hatching they are soooo cute and beautiful.
See you soon . Have a great day all.
Here is a small peak of some of our peacocks.
And here is a link to them in a video on Youtube, Yes it is me singing the song also with them as I sing romantic songs on my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iztx3-AUSXg&feature=share&list=UUOFCh1g7kh0YLcqjrJYYgnw

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9519854

Oh my GOODNESS, I am enthralled!!!! (oh, pardon me, pleased to meet you!) :)

What magnificent work you and your daughter have done, it's breath-taking! I am looking forward to hearing more about how things are coming along, and thank you for sharing the video link... I really like your rendition of "You Raise Me Up"! =)

If you please, I would love to see pics of more of your gardens, and your chickens and peacocks, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

God Bless you!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9519913

Very, very nice. And love those peacocks. Hope to see much more! :)
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9520292

[quote="speediebean"]Oh my GOODNESS, I am enthralled!!!! (oh, pardon me, pleased to meet you!) :)

What magnificent work you and your daughter have done, it's breath-taking! I am looking forward to hearing more about how things are coming along, and thank you for sharing the video link... I really like your rendition of "You Raise Me Up"! =)

If you please, I would love to see pics of more of your gardens, and your chickens and peacocks, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

God Bless you!![/quote]
Thank you for that it is lovely to meet you too, and yes I will surely be adding more pictures as we go along with the thread there are so many smiles. and so much to catch up on.
It was thanks to Dave's garden that CBC Canadian tv included our garden in a documentary a few years ago, but even since them we have done may changes. and there is still many more to come yet.
Hope all is going well for you there what is the weather like for you there, and look forward to sharing our gardening adventures with you here. have a great day regards from Peter and Mary-Anne

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9520297

[quote="Cville_Gardener"]Very, very nice. And love those peacocks. Hope to see much more! :)
[/quote]
Thank you also for stopping by and look forward to adding more pictures and info on what we are up to, and of course our peacocks and other birds smiles. Wish you a great day now regards from Peter and Mary-Anne

SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9520304

Wow, how beautiful. You should be quite proud of your accomplishments. Thank you for sharing, I'm sure many of us would love the opportunity that you've been able to realize. At least we can live vicariously through your pictures. :)
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9520308

[quote="SteveOh"]Wow, how beautiful. You should be quite proud of your accomplishments. Thank you for sharing, I'm sure many of us would love the opportunity that you've been able to realize. At least we can live vicariously through your pictures. :)[/quote]
Thank you Steve for your very kind words and hope you are well, look forward to sharing what we have done here too, have a great evening and hope that the weather is being kind to you there, I know it can be soooo dry there.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9520374

You have done amazing things with your house and garden. wonderful to look at!
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9520414

[quote="risingcreek"]You have done amazing things with your house and garden. wonderful to look at![/quote]

Thank you nice to meet you here Hope that you and yours are keeping well and all is good there, it's like winter here at the moment, think we missed spring!
At the moment I am busy making a pheasant pen, as we have so many pheasants hatching at the moment. I have to blame my daughter Mary-Anne for all of this.
She is worse than I am for birds. But in the long run it all boils down to me, as I used to have an animal sanctuary here in the UK. I love the birds very much too.
It is a bit funny as this was supposed to be my retirement home. but I love every moment.
Have a great evening and thanks again.
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9520476

Thought that we would introduce ourselves. This is a picture of us working in the polytunnel and also a few pictures from Last summer.
We are also at this moment planting around 400 lilies and half of them are skyscraper lilies, This should make a nice display in the front garden.
Also due to the price of fresh fruit over here we are growing our own, we have a lot! including many apples, pears, plums, cherry's, Apricots, peaches, clementine's, greengages, oranges and lemons, and about 5 sets of grapes, the peacocks love grapes and fresh fruit.
I found an amazing peach, it is a dwarf peach tree, we have bought 5 they are very decorative, with red leaves, on a dwarf stock, will not grow more than 5ft tall, totally hardy, but can be grown in a greenhouse polytunnel, even the conservatory, They are starting to fruit already. They have full-size sweet succulent peaches on, you can see one flowering behind in the pink they are highly scented and very beautiful, we have kept ours in due to the weather here as we are still getting the od frost. have done the same with most of our fruit trees as they are large pots and kept in the polytunnel, most have flowered already as they have been protected from the bad winter winds here, we have been hand pollinating them you also see a couple of pictures of just a small part of our front garden taken in summer last year. and also a picture of two of my peacocks, one was just few weeks old on her arm she is called poppet and the other is sweetpea a particularly friendly female. and of course one of our three dogs she is called lassie, we also have lassie's brother called laddie and a cute little Scottish Terrier called Buddy! they all love the birds too and are part of our Increasing family, meaning all the new chicks hatching.
Oh and did I mention that Mary-Anne has Yellow canaries , red canaries, zebra finches and diamond doves, they are all having babes at the moment few!!!!
Heaven knows what is coming next!!
So you can tell there will be plenty of pictures coming LOL.
I have an amusing video that I will be putting on soon. Some of my chicks in front of my 8ft fish tank, Oh I forgot there is Mary-Anne's Guinea pigs on the end of it!!
I was worried incase she fancied a ape or gorilla, but she said no don't worry I already have one, it's you. was wondering why she had been buying lots of banana's lately, LOL heheheheehehe

Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry
Click an image for an enlarged view.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9520489

WOWZEEE WOWS!!! I bet your neighbors are happy that you've moved in now!! < =D

Heeheeeheee, Lassie and Laddie, perfect!! Such wonderful photos, it's going to be so exciting to see more... when you get the time of course. My goodness you do have a lot going on!

The weather here today has been splendiforous! Spent ALL day outside playing and it's been so wonderful! Brought home some "salvaged" babies from work (I work at a nursery/garden center). Those poor babies would have ended up in the dumpster otherwise, and that is completely unacceptable! ;) They are now freshly potted up in my brightly shaded area out back and looking forward to a new lease on life. Many other things accomplished today, one last thing to do is bake some muffins as soon as that butter is softened. ;) Perhaps a shower is in order? =D

Such a pleasure meeting you, and look forward to all the lovelies you and Mary Ann are taking care of.

Oh, one question, if you please? What, pray tell, is a "polytunnel"? I have never heard of that before! Thank you! =)
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9520583

Hi Speedybean lovely to hear that there is someone like you, who loves to rescue those lovelies, we do the exactly same, though we do not work in a nursery, but we always feel sorry for that sad plant in the corner that no one wants. so we bring it home and make it well again they can end up being the prettiest!
I love the sound of your muffin's yum yum, you have my mouth watering now, oh no now I can smell them LOL.hehehehe.
I have put a picture on of a polytunnel, we now have two and one has been up for 6 years and has taken all of the storms and bad weather we have here, It is a form of giant greenhouse but not glass, made of galvanised metal tubing and very heavy duty uv protective plastic cover, one of mine is 13ft x 30ft long the other is smaller more modern version with extra strength added to the covering that we keep our fruit trees in.
Here is also another YT video that shows the garden from Last summer and of course I am singing the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrE4IF5TCjQ&feature=share&list=UUOFCh1g7kh0YLcqjrJYYgnw

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2013
3:01 AM

Post #9521102

A beautiful morning to you Sir, and to Lovely Mary Ann as well. =)

Aaaaah, so THAT's a polytunnel, thank you! Are these pics of your polytunnel? My gracious, that's a lot of happy looking plants! Your "retirement" is certainly agreeing with you. :) I just hope that my little "rescues" end up looking as happy and healthy as those babies do.

The muffins yesterday turned out wonderful, if I do say so myself. Hubby requested one to be put into his lunch box to enjoy with his coffee this morning. (I guess I must have done ok). ;) Love playing in the kitchen nearly as much as playing out in the dirt, so I've been having fun with a new "Jumbo" muffin pan, heeheeheee.

So, I can't help but wonder... seeing how successful you two have been in your gardening (and more!) plans, what do your fellow islanders have to say now? Are they all surprised and supportive now? I most certainly would be! You two have turned the place into a sanctuary, it is spectacular! I can't wait to see how things progress this year. =)

Have a wonderful day, and I hope the weather cooperates with your endeavours today! < =D
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 15, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9521912

Hi speediebean, Hope that you have had a great day, we had showers but still managed to too get some work done despite them. Shifted a few trees and bushes, good to do when cool and rainy.
Thought that I would add some pictures of just some of our peacocks taken earlier this year.
As far as the locals, smiles, a lot of them are very quiet now, But they are always amazed at how many visitors we get.
Hope that you are and hubby are keeping well, still like the sound of those muffins mmmmm. Mary-Anne makes a mean apple pie, and I can never beat her Yorkshire puddings. You should see the size of them when they come out of the oven. mine come out like pancakes, lol. But I am far cook and also love to some baking myself, when I get the time.
Anyway have a great evening all, here are those pics I promised of the peacocks.

Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry   Thumbnail by PaladonPerry

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2013
2:12 AM

Post #9522312

Thank you for the photos. Very flashy, those peacocks on display to woo a peahen. They certainly look proud of those beautiful feathers. Can't say I blame them. How many do you have?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2013
2:29 AM

Post #9522319

Heh heh, Pic #4 made me giggle to myself. Almost looks as though he's saying "Look, my foliage is much prettier than that of this shrub here!" Heeheeheee!

Cville, I just love your little froggie with the snail on its head. I love snails... just to look at, mind you. They're so cute! (and they're yummy too with garlic and butter!) < =)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2013
2:34 AM

Post #9522323

Thanks, speedie. I wonder if the peacock thinks that shrub is a competitor? lol.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2013
2:41 AM

Post #9522325

LOL!! Yeah, one who never puts his tail feathers away, heeheeheee. Hmmm, I'd be suspicious! ;)
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 16, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9522446

Hi there speedy Cville, yes they are beautiful we have 18 peacocks, 4 white, which are not a year old yet. the male has a reasonably good tale for his age but it takes 2 and half years before they get there full length of tail. then every autumn they cast them off, So we have plenty of tail feathers and then they start all over again, there tails get bigger every year. We also have Indian blue which you see with is tail, we have 5 male and 4 female of them, we also have 3 Jarva, they are green , unusually the females are just as colourful in body as the male, they just do not get the really long tail, they are also not a year yet.
The one with his cheeky little tail showing next to the bush is a black shoulder, his is just over a year old, but will change in colour amazingly, this is his immature feathers.
We also have Ornamental pheasants, Red gold pair we have at the moment but we have had some hatch and some due to hatch in the next few days about 20 in all.
Add a pics to show you there colours, they are amazing and very friendly birds.
We are laying new grass in the pens at the moment as the hard winter frosts and rain has wiped it out this year.
Many people seem to think that Peafowls are noisy, but they are not noisy, this is a misconception. They only make a noise when they get disturbed by a vehicle or people shouting making a disturbance. I suppose of it is just like us people, If someone just walked into your house you would shout at them lol, well this is the same for the birds as they are strangers.
Wishing you a great gardening day and hope that the weather is great for you there!! head here on the news there was a bad tornado in Texas!!
We had a hurricane in 2005 that was 100miles wide with 140mile winds done lots of damage to the property and the garden, literally blew the roof off. They say that the Western Isles is top of the list for the most wettest and windiest place on earth, but would not like to live in tornado Ally that would be heartbreaking.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9523077

WOW, those pheasants are just beyond beautiful!!!!!!!! Such brilliant colours... my oh my!!!

Heh heh, yeah, if strangers just 'showed up' at my house making a ruckus I'd have some loud things to say too! =) Much better to be polite and quiet and friendly.

Great Googley Moogley, that's a heck of a hurricane!!!!!! I'm glad you two were safe through it, but GOSH, it blew the roof off!? Yikes!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2013
2:05 AM

Post #9523509

They are beautiful indeed, both the peafowl and pheasants. Lucky you to have them! I'd make noise too if I looked that good. :-D We have many birds that visit our feeders or nest in our yard but nothing quite as showy as those. Still, beautiful in their own right.

I don't care for wind once it gets past the breeze stage. Occasionally the tornado siren sounds here (twice this year, I think) but we've yet to have one. I hope it stays that way! The tornadoes that just went through Texas were monstrous.

We are indeed having lovely gardening weather. It has been in the 80s all week here and I've gotten a lot of planting done. But still a lot to do. Seems that's the status quo. :) I just planted a small elevated planter with an heirloom yellow pear tomato, hot banana pepper, sweet basil, Boxwood basil, marigolds. It's right outside the door for convenience. Hope everyone else is enjoying their gardens.
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 20, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9527499

Glad to hear Cville that you have not had any hurricanes, sounds like a narrow escape from them.Just been watching on the news here about the terrible hurricanes in Oklahoma, looks terrible, I hope No one is badly hurt! so terrible to see the devastation there, makes your heart go out to all there. Bless them all there.
Sounds like your elevated planter is in the perfect place liking the sound of those yellow pear toms too. I have tried this year the tomato tree for the first time, over here you have to protect them from the harsh winters, but as I have a polytunnel that should not be a problem. they can grow like a tree and over 5ft tall, and can last for years so it's an experiment for us here. see what they taste like, also love cherry toms. Money maker is a great favorite of mine.
We also have lots of birds that visit our garden, we have mourning doves that have lived here for years and breed right outside our back door in our back garden, they all get spoiled with lots of extra food to help them through the winters, and plenty of shelter with the trees and evergreen bushes.
Hi There Speedie hope you have had a great weekend sounds like you had had a great visit from Family! looking forward to get going a bit more here on DG, thank you for your encouragements here. Hope that you and hubby have a great week and hope that weather is good for you there.
I am putting a video together of some of this years chicks, as we have had lots of success with the incubator so far this year.
The season is about 1 month behind, seems to be that way all over. Keeping our fingers crossed that it improves. Wishing you and yours a happy gardening week, Kindest regards from Peter and Mary-Anne.
Adding a picture of the doves from this year! in the garden.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2013
2:20 AM

Post #9528025

Well, very tragic news from here in Oklahoma. Miraculous stories amidst the tragedy but it is just heart-breaking.

Sweet dove picture. We have several nesting pairs in our yard. They are some of my favorite birds.

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 25, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9533831

Hi all sorry we have not been around for a few days, we have been so busy in the garden and also we have lots of chicks hatching, so kept well busy.
Hope that everyone is doing well and the weather being kind to you all. It was just so sad to hear about what happened to all with the terrible tornado! our hearts and prayers go out to all there, sad to see such devastation and loss of life, truly saddening!
The weather has been showery so dodging the showers, still planting lilies half way through them, so still a couple of hundred left to plant. and many other bushes and trees, and plenty of annuals for the summer display, will be posting some pictures as we go along.
As promised I thought I would share some pictures of our lovely chickens have to show in two lots smiles. There are three pictures of our peacocks of just two of our baby peacocks when sweet pea was 4 weeks old and also beauty when she was just one day old first one is sweet pea hand feeding, she is such a lovely friendly bird and amazingly she has just laid her first egg today!! so very excited! the third picture is of Mary-Anne feeding three little peacocks about at about 10 weeks old, sweet pea beauty and peaky! the male.
You can also see two pictures of our quails, first when they were chicks and now as they are adult, they are such lovely birds and great fun.

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 25, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9533836

Here is the second batch of pictures, there is a picture of our adorable Frizzle polish chamois chicks they are so lovely great looking birds when older too.
and you can also see them in a small pen on the grass a bit older now. You can also see one of our adult frizzles and yes she is a chicken our Tina turner. and forgetting our Guinea pigs. will add more pictures soon, wishing you a fantastic gardening week and Happy gardening! from Peter and Mary-Anne, from our little Scottish Island.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2013
1:21 AM

Post #9534146

Oh, those are precious. Smiling at Tina Turner. ^_^ It appears that Mary-Anne enjoys her job. Lots of chicks to feed. I imagine they keep you hopping this time of year.

I'm really enjoying your photos. This is the only picture I could find of our doves.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener         

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

May 26, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9534961

Hi Cville, those doves look so lovely they are always smart looking, now yours are different to ours as they have spots on there wings and a slightly diffent colour very beautiful, it is lovely to see the birds in the garden,you can see how much you enjoy them too, thank you for sharing your great pictures. We do the same. Love to feed the wild birds. We also have eagles that fly over the property, golden eagles, every year they bring there young over the moors to teach them how to hunt, it is quite amazing to watch them, but we have to make sure that all the birds are in there eareas and protected. don't want to lose any of them.
Brrr it looked snowy in the pucture, we had snow here a few days ago but lukily it did not stay on the ground. We have gales forcast for tomorrow, so not sure what we will get done in the garden though.
We have chicks hatching every day at the moment. several more frizzles to hatch by morning, Yep they keep us busy smiles.
here is a picture of Rodney, buffy work and ginger just some of our cockerals.
Hope you have a great evening there

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2013
2:49 AM

Post #9541611

WOW, such wonderful photos!!!!! I'm sure if there were someone standing behind me listening they'd have laughed at me, 'cause here I sit, going "Oooooh!" and "Aaaaaahhh!!" and "Aaaawww oh my goodness how CUTE!!" and "WOW no way!!" out loud to myself. < =D They are certainly some beautiful birds Peter, and Cville, your doves are beauties!

The Frizzles really amaze me, they certainly show God's Artistry to a magnificent degree, huh?

In the last photo, which one is the (hen?) of the solid golden-champagne colour? Roosting on the top bar. My goodness, what a rich satiny colour!!!!!!!!
PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

June 29, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9578469

Hi all, we hope that everyone is keeping well, like all gardeners this time of the year we have been very busy!
We are opening our garden next weekend for Water Aid. the right for the poorest nations of the world to have fresh clean drinking water. It is horrifying to se the condition of the water that some of these people have to drink filthy contaminated with waste and so many children and adults getting seriously ill and dying.
So as you can imagine we have been having a very busy time preparing the garden for opening. Just adding a few photo's of the garden as it is right now. Taken this opportunity to write as it is poring with rain at the moment. The biggest worry is there is gales forecast for tonight and during the week grrrr, The 500 lilies are all in but just about ready to burst into flower.
My daughter and I have also been potting up large fruit trees I think every kind of fruit you can think of.
Ohhh and guess what, we have added ducklings to our menagerie LOL.
Also thought you might like to see a video on YT of my daughter hand feeding the peacocks.
I think it is strange how the weather has been changing over the past 5/6 years the seasons seem to be out of step, a bit of a worry for food production around the world. We heard on the news that it is going to 45c in places in America, horrifying I think I would melt. You all look after yourselves. Kindest regards from Peter and Mary-Anne.
Here is the link to hand feeding peacocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cr57AR-eQ

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

June 29, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9578485

We have also been busy getting several kind of maples and Acers so we can try and get some great autumn colour in the garden Ok smiles some more wish you happy gardening and good weather.
Always open for any recommendations.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9578556

Helloooo over there! I thought you must surely be very busy. Yes, the lack of clean drinking water is a tragedy. Everyone should have access to clean water. I'm happy to hear you are opening your garden for Water Aid. A very good cause. I hope it is a big success.

Speaking of your garden, it is quite lovely. I enjoyed the tour very much as well as the YT video. I don't know who was having more fun, your daughter or the peafowl!

We all do seem to be busy this time of year, planting, pruning, editing, fertilizing and so forth in our yards and gardens. I agree that things are a bit "off" as far as the climatic conditions. It is indeed dangerously hot out West. Here in Tennessee our temperatures have dropped from 90 down into the 80s, even the low 80s and are predicted to stay that way. It's cool at night and low humidity. That is unusual for us this time of year. I am enjoying it as a treat. Even the Fourth of July is predicted to be relatively cool. Time for a happy dance. :)

A few photos of a Tennessee garden (mine)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

PaladonPerry
Scotland
United Kingdom

June 29, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9579157

Hi Cville nice to hear from you again and your garden is looking lovely, love those peonies something that does not seem to do well here though I think they are a beautiful flower, Funny enough we have just grown 4 O'clock plants Marvel of Peru from seed this year, about 40 good strong plants.
Over that last few days we have been making an enclosure for our ducklings, planning to put a large pond in for them to swim in, also been buying some duck eggs 18 in all, but not all will hatch.
We are hoping that the weather will be better here tomorrow so we can get out and get some more work done.
Funny that you say about your temperature at the most of is only 60f here so I imagine you would find that very cold compared to the temps you are used to, I think even 80 would be too hot for us here. It has been a real slow beginning for us, the garden is about a month behind, The lupins have normally been and gone by now, and they have only just come out in the past couple of days.
You take care of yourself lovely to hear from you, please keep adding those lovely pictures, we love to see them, that lily is a lovely red colour. do I see a banana plant there too, I imagine they grow well for you there, ours have to be indoors all winter.
Happy gardening our friend.
Yes Mary-Anne enjoyed herself just as much as the peafowls did, and the duckling have totally adopted her already.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2013
3:29 AM

Post #9579673

Your lupines are beautiful. Yes, the peonies do very well here. However, I must replace them with a variety that is more resistant to Botrytis blight of the leaves. I am not one to spray very much because of the bees, butterflies and birds. But the woods behind us make it so that the leaf spot diseases can be prevalent in very humid weather. I love the woods but there is no way to rid them of every plant problem. :)

You have a good eye. That is a hardy banana tree (Musa basjoo). After the first hard frost it will die to the ground. It gets mulched over or I leave the dead leaves to cover it as its own mulch and it comes back bigger every year.

As to the cool weather there, I did about freeze to death part of the time we were in London and the surrounding countryside. Just kidding about the freezing. I got used to the cool, damp weather after a few days. We welcome some cooler weather during the summers here. We resided in California for many years and although it was sometimes hot, it was never humid. It was damp by the coast but not the type of humidity we have here.

Shot of the banana trees (a bit out of focus - sorry)
Some of the roses
Our State Wildflower - the Tennessee Coneflower (Echinacea tennesseensis)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2013
3:52 AM

Post #9579689

You have done so much to your gardens in five years. It's very impressive.

A few more shots ...

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9649858

Just found this post. Paladon, your gardens are beautiful. I am amazed the changes in the landscape in 5 years.

Cville: What's the pink rose? So pretty.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2013
1:00 AM

Post #9650266

Hi birder - the pink rose is Pink Double Knockout.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9650792

Cville-didn't think double knockouts got that large. Very pretty.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9650793

Thank you. :)
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9722387

Wow...I just came across this thread. I am so impressed with the beautiful transition of your property. Gives hope for all of us gardeners.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9729480

I hope we hear more soon.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America