Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Oxytropis multiceps .... has anyone germinated this?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 14, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9522365

Hi,
I am gradually getting through my NARGS seeds and am stuck on Oxytropis multiceps. I have not been able to find anything on the net and it is not in any of the Deno seed germination lists, nor on Ontario Rock Garden Society germination database nor the Tom Clothier site.
Any advice gratefully accepted... although I have only a few seeds so can't choose too many options. :O(

Mike

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 16, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9522432

Does it have any other names ? ----maybe there is information under another name.
I have never heard of it. Good luck with the NARGS seeds.
I did a winter sow of the first round,but now am working through the ones
which came from the Surplus round.

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9522815

It has the obscure common name of Nuttall's Oxytrope... the USDA plant profile is here: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=OXMU

Haven't yet found out what time of year it flowers.

It was one of the alternative choices from the Surplus round...

No big deal but it would be nice not to give it a fatal treatment!

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 16, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9522826

As for any Oxytropis (and indeed for any pea family seed), simply scarify the seed and you'll get germination rapidly. Scarification routinely gives germination in days (even after one day) for me, versus weeks and months for people who don't scarify the same species.
You can scarify by rubbing the seeds against a flat file to abrade through the hard seedcoats; it becomes guess work with smaller seeds as to judge how effectively you've scarified them - be careful not to grind them into dust.
By the way, there is a great deal of germination info on the NARGS site... you don't have to find that particualar species to find useful information (as I said, all pea family seeds should be treated the same way for best/fastest germination), and simply asking there will also yield lots of advice from experienced people.

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9522884

Great; Thanks. Will do. THe seeds are v small, so carefully does it I guess.
Incidentally, I tried to get on the NARGS site today and it wasn't there, just a hosting company page. Does anyone know what is happening there???
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 16, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9523078

There is a temporary problem with the NARGS Forum site... it's being worked on. Apologies 'til it's fixed again.

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2013
11:45 PM

Post #9524541

It appears that the domain hasn't been renewed!!!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 18, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9525430

The problem has been solved and the NARGS site is functioning as usual.

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2013
12:48 AM

Post #9526621

Allah be praised!!!

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9541083

I have spent an anguished couple of weeks thinking how I can scarify these seeds. They are only about ľmm in diameter. Holding them in tweezers won't give the required stability to file them... and can't really hold them steady enough to keep them in focus with my magnifying headset that I use for such tasks.

I am thinking maybe hydrochloric acid might work - since it would be experienced by seeds eaten by birds, mice, etc for "sowing" elsewhere.

Question is, how long. The HCl that I have is 23% dilution with water and I don't want to do any fancy chemistry to make it stronger (I'm clumsy and accident prone!).

I thought maybe put all of the (6) seeds in then take one out after 30 minutes, another after an hour, another after 90 mins and another after two hours and the other two after " & 4 hours respectively. Wash the seeds in water after removal to get rid of remaining surface HCl.

Does that sound good? or stupÓd???

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9541546

Just set a few of the seeds on a flat file and rub them across the file with your finger... Believe me, it works. I do this with all pea family seeds and many others including many where the seeds are too small to grasp individually.
There's no need to resort to HCL (and 23% is plenty strong enough that one should be careful with it).
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9541550

It is also known as "loco weed".
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

June 1, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9541665

To scarify small seeds, I place them between sand paper,
and place the sand paper in a plastic bag. Then rub them through the sand paper and bag.
The bag is just there to catch the seeds if they try to escape.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9542265

steadycam3 wrote:It is also known as "loco weed".

A common name for the many hundreds of species of both Oxytropis and Astragalus...

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
11:09 PM

Post #9542769

OK, I think I'm ready for it... Take my protein pills and put my helmet on... :O)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America