Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Cat grass seed dormancy in soil?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
razarizvi
Richmond, TX

May 16, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9523385

Hi All, I am trying to store a mixture of catgrass/oat seeds and dry soil for convenience so I would have to just scoop a cup of the mixture into a bowl and simply add water. I am noticing that a 2-3 month old soil-seed mixture is no longer germinating. Does this mean that seeds die if stored in dry soil? Or could there be some other reason? Will appreciate insight. Thanks!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9528738

Interesting! I would have guessed that "dry soil" still has much higher humidity than "dry seeds". If the seeds were stored "too humid" for a few months, they might have lost v igor. But oats and wheat? Dead in a few months? That is surprising.

Have you tired picking out a few dozen seeds and sprouted them on a coffee filter, just to see if they come up when coaxed?

Is it real soil-soil or a sterile soiless mix? I don't know what happens to soil organisms if dried out and kept indoors.

Were they germinating OK this way for the first 2 months? Maybe they dislike being burried so deep when mixed all through the soil.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9585586

Did you ever resolve the problem?

it occurred to me that soil microbes like fungus or bacteria, or even very small insects, might be killing the seeds.

Now I buy my cat grass wheat seed from the Fred Meyer "bulk" row:

Fred Meyers Hard Red Spring Wheat Berries
Triticum aestivum

I haven't figured out which Oat seed would be most likely to be alive and viable.

I have some years-old fall rye that I bought for a cover crop.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America