-
AuthorContent
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

May 17, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9523962

I planted my freesia bulbs in a container last October and they have since flowered and dried out. I kept them in the pot, (without watering) to make sure that they dry out completely before digging them out and storing them for next autumn. I removed most of the brown foliage but didn't have time to do it all. I have now noticed that where the old flower buds were, a green ballish thing is growing. Does anyone know what this is?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 17, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9524033

Hi Monkey, the green ballish thing you have noticed is where you didn't remove the spent flowers, that particular bulb was allowed to form a seed-head, all or most flowering plants do this and because they have flowers this ballish swelling is much more noticeable.

Some tree's like say, Pines, you would not notice the seeds so much because on that type of seedhead, the seeds are held within the pine cones, there are different types of seed heads depending on the plant and other bulbs like some lily, dont have seed heads as such but at the axle of each leaf on the stems, you will find little black or brown pea sized tiny little bulblet's that fall onto the ground and grow on to become the exact same type as the parent,.

As the season goes on when your plants / flowers begin to die down, before you remove the spent flower heads, just have a look at the base of the flowers where you noticed the green ball, and you will discover all the different looking seed-heads you have and it becomes easier to recognise what's what at the end of the season.
To be honest, I don't allow my plants to set seeds and I dead-head them as need be, as I always think the plant uses up energy forming the seed-heads and why allow the plant to form seeds that are not required, I'd rather the plant put more energy into making good roots etc for the following year but it's up to you how to go at end of the flowering time.
Hope this helps you out a little and you'll soon be finding all sorts growing in your garden or pots.
Good luck. WeeNel.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

May 22, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9530107

Thanks so much that, was really curious as to what they were! I've now thrown all the foliage away and dug up the bulbs from the container to store for next October. Some of the bulbs have smaller bulbs attached to them, I'm hoping they are new bulbs. Well, hopefully they'll all grow just as beautifully next time! :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 23, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9531442

The small bulbs are babies from the parent plant and should after about 2 years be flowering beautifully for your enjoyment, I have never had one bit of luck when trying to grow Freesia bulbs indoor or outside, guess that's one plant thet when they are happy the will do their stuff for you, so enjoy.
Best regards.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America