Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: When do hyacinth beans turn purple?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladysoth
Alexandria, VA

May 19, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9525819

I have an old lamp post I grow vines on. This year I want to grow hyancinth beans for their ornamental properties and some runner beans for their yumminess properties. They're going to get all intertwined and I'm worried that once the flowers fall off I won't be able to tell one bean pod from the other when harvesting.

Are the hyacinth bean pods purple when young or do they only turn purple when they're mature?

PS - I know that I can eat the hyacinth beans, but after researching it I've decided I don't want to.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 20, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9527286

I think they are purple right from the get go but no matter they really don't look like a snap bean and the vines are always purple
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9528994

Hyacinth beans are purple and scarlet runners are green (are those the runners you are planning to grow?) Hyacinth bean pods are short and squat, like a lima bean pod. They are also shiny. Runners are much longer and slim. Even Romano types, which are more broad, look nothing like hyacinth. I'm not sure about purple runners but if in doubt don't plant them together.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9532358

Well. purple hyacinth beans have purple veining and when the pods set in late summer they turn purple. White hyacinth beans dont have the purple hues

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9567954

My Ruby Moon Hyacinth beans turn purple early. But MaypopLaurel is correct - the pods and beans inside never look alike. You will probably figure out which is which - But even if you forget, You can post a picture of your various beans next spring and we can tell you which is which.

And Ladysoth - I agree, Hyacinths are more or less an ornamental. If you really want to eat beans, there are better tasting ones to grow. I grow Hyacinth, Scarlet Runner (Ornamental & edible - I pick them to keep them blooming), and bush beans just to eat.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America