Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: floating planters

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 5, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pondlove
Lewes, DE

May 20, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9526841

I have two floating planters that I made last year. Impatiens grew like gangbusters in them. This year I thought I would try some begonias in one of them. Are begonias toxic to fish?

By the way, the planters are made from hard foam wreath forms that I bought in a craft store, The plants sit on round needlepoint plastic forms from the same store that I wired onto the wreath forms with florist wire. I have a lot of moss in my yard so I draped moss on the forms after putting the impatiens in the center.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9527654

They sound really pretty - do you have any photos?

I had angel wing begonias in big pots on my deck last year that butts up to the pond. What little got into the pond in the way of the begonias, the fish left alone - are they poisonous? I really don't know. I do know my fish didn't want to eat them.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9530555

Pondlove, soundsl sike a great idea for pond planters. My plants have gone appy and need to be divided again. I do however need more plants in larger pond. I have put many land plants in my ponds and so far have never killed fish from them but I can't say for sure about begonia.
Thanks for sharing.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9538695

A large begonia that was growing on its own in the rocks around old pond broke off in the wind today and was floating so guess it doesn't kill fish or they would all be gone.

Bonnie
pondlove
Lewes, DE

May 31, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9540487

I decided to stay with impatiens again this year. No photos yet. It takes a little time for the plants to fill out. Right now the planters look a little anemic.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9542542

Impatiens are very popular here and the Nigerian ones are just beautiful. Used to have some under a shade tree and they flourished until winter.
Great idea, maybe I'll try some in my floating planter.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America