Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Another Sandpiper

(Zone 5a)

I will be glad when this season passes. :) Sandpipers are not my favorite to try to ID. But I am consoled by the fact they don't give me warbler neck.

This one is throwing me off especially since this photo does not show the front. Is this a Pectoral? I cannot tell who his friend is either, to the left.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, a Pec - large size for a Calidris sandpiper, and yellowish legs. The other one is probably a White-rumped, note the long wing extending well beyond the tail tip (shared only by Baird's), black legs, and the grey-and-rufous mantle pattern (Baird's doesn't have the rufous), not 100% certain though (any more pics?).

Resin

This message was edited May 21, 2013 8:40 PM

(Zone 5a)

Thanks for confirming the Pectoral. I knew there was something different about the other guy. My head is swimming going through all these photos. Three of us use cameras here, so I have another batch of photos to look through. I'll post if I have more pictures.

(Zone 5a)

Well, I found one more picture- taken with one of our old cameras and it is pretty icky. I am not sure it would help in identification, but just in case, here it is...

Sorry it took so long to post, I had to walk away from the shorebird pictures for a bit. My head was swimming along with them. :)

The center Pectoral is the one same from the first photo and I am guessing the one to its left might be the same bird as above.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, yep, a bit too 'icky' to help any further, unfortunately!

Resin

(Zone 5a)

Thank you for trying. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.