Photo by Melody

Poultry and Livestock: chick with intestinal blockage?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 7, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9528889

I'm looking for any ideas on what to do for a 3 day old buff orpington chick that is normal in every way except it can't eliminate very well. The vent seems very small but I have soaked its bottom in warm water and lubricated it with mineral oil and then used a thin rounded probe to make sure its vent isn't blocked somehow. It has eliminated a few times but seems to have difficulty doing so. Today I gave it a few drops of mineral oil orally to help get things moving internally. Its bottom is very swollen and it is peeping as if in pain. Any help is much appreciated, thank you in advance. (Do you think some cooled off senna tea would help?)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 21, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9528949

I don't know, I've never had that problem with a chick. It sounds as if you are doing the logical things...I hope someone can help.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2013
10:42 PM

Post #9529251

Yeah me too. It is such a sweet chick. We have kept it in the house because of the special treatment so has become very tame , even follows us all around when we put it down. But its little bottom is still very abnormal/swollen. Very sad.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9534863

How is it doing?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 26, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9534893

Hi LFJ! Haven't heard from you lately.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9535262

It died. We did everything we could think of to help but to no avail. Seems like I read somewhere that chicks have difficultly hatching when the humidity is low; I wonder if that would contribute to health issues as well. (It has been pretty hot and dry here this spring.) So out of nine eggs the hen set, two died while trying to hatch, three were healthy chicks, one died after four days, and the hen left the nest before the other three hatched (so don't know what the problem was with them). Next time a hen is broody, I'm going to try misting the eggs from time to time with a squirt bottle. The hen may not like it but if it increases the chances of the chicks surviving, she will just have to deal with it.

Living in Texas is not for wimps, that's for sure.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9536779

Sorry to hear about your chick.

I just hatched two yesterday in an incubator. It was my first incubator experience and it was fun. They weren't supposed to hatch until today I thought, but they hatched yesterday. I kept going in every ten minutes to see what they were doing. :D Have two more that I hope will hatch today. I candled them every night. Then, I read you aren't supposed to do that.

One of them is very healthy and strong looking, but the other one not so much. He lived through the night at least, and is perfectly formed and stands and peeps but just isn't as strong. I'm hoping he'll be okay.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2013
10:43 PM

Post #9539068

I'm glad the incubator is working out for you. Today I was at TSC and noticed that they sell a special thermometer for incubators that tells what the temperature should be for the eggs each week they are in the incubator. I have another broody hen right now and if we don't have better success (higher hatch rate of healthy chicks) this time I may invest in an incubator too.

Have you ever tried that "grow gel" that Ideal Hatcheries sells? I have been using that with my chicks and keets since 2009 and it seems to work really good for the first few days. I need to order some more.

I hope all your chicks are healthy (live long and prosper!)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America