Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
herbella
Albuquerque, NM

May 22, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9529797

I roared with laughter over the "Betty Ford Clinic" comparison! I have rescued plants from institutions that just needed to be left alone to dry out. I don't buy plant victims, but I have been known to beg for them by pleading for their lives. When the owners/supervisors realize that the plants are dying anyway, sometimes they sometimes release their houseplant victims to me. It's a happy day for everyone except my husband: "Oh, goody. Where are we going to put THIS one?"
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9533070

Thanks, herbella! It's always fun for me when my "True Confessions" article is reprinted on DG and I get to meet a few more plant fanatic addicts. I think we are a hopeless group of obsessive folks that no amount of therapy or analysis or recovery meetings will help, mostly because the plant addicts I know are totally unwilling to change their irrepressible planting habits. But it may be nice if someone would start a group similar to ALANON so that our spouses, partners and friends could have a chance to meet and commiserate about the neglect and abuse they suffer as a result of our totally out of all reasonable control affliction with nurturing all things green and growing. I still get nearly all my plants from the Lowe's discount distressed plant racks. I've had some health concerns over the last year and find that, even though I don't feel physically capable of digging new holes for more plants, I still rescue and sneak home a bag of the purloined and persecuted plants available for a few pennies that scream for me to take them and give them a second chance The poor things end up having to endure yet more neglect until I finally gather up enough stamina to drag myself out to the garden and use a rusty trowel to scratch out a space large enough to drop in a pint-sized plant. The joy of adding another plant to my "jungle," however, always overcomes the pain that may ensue from continuing to garden even when my body suggests it is time to retire my shovel and hoe.

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy (attached are some photos of what is currently flowering in my Zone 8b/9a northeast Florida garden)

This message was edited May 24, 2013 10:18 PM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Click an image for an enlarged view.

herbella
Albuquerque, NM

September 24, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9668853

Thank you for the lovely photos. I apologize for not having come back to this thread earlier. Since I live in New Mexico (think "high and dry"), I mostly get my "plant fixes" from photos. Sigh! However, after more than a decade of severe drought, we have had more rain this month (!) than we had all of last year. Our rainfall this year is more than double last year, but too late to do much good. The crazy tomato plants are busily growing without a clue that their end is near. Poor babies! I went back and read your article again - and laughed again! The reference to "fecund supplies of elephant manure" rocked me with laughter! I have heard that some sources offer it for sale to frighten off smaller animals. i have often wondered if it would work with the dogs next door. I have a tough time being a plantaholic in New Mexico. I can understand how it would be an uncurable disease in Florida! Thanks again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America