-
AuthorContent
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9530956

I posted this article on another thread, but it got buried, I think. I decided it deserves its own thread! Is it just me, or is this not absolutely fascinating? And what does it mean for our own gardens. Any thoughts?
Here's the link to the article:

"FUNGUS NETWORK PLAYS ROLE IN PLANT COMMUNICATION"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22462855

Or if you're in a hurry, here is the conclusion, excerpted below:
As the researchers allowed single plants in the sets to be infested with aphids, they found that if the infested plant was connected to another by the mycorrhizae, the un-infested plant began to mount its chemical defence.

"Mycorrhizal fungi need to get [products of photosynthesis] from the plant, and they have to do something for the plant," explained John Pickett of Rothamsted Research.

"In the past, we thought of them making nutrients available from the [roots and soil], but now we see another evolutionary role for them in which they pay the plant back by transmitting the signal efficiently," he told BBC News.

Prof Pickett expressed his "abject surprise that it was just so powerful - just such a fantastic signalling system".

The finding could be put to use in many crops that suffer aphid damage, by arranging for a particular, "sacrificial" plant to be more susceptible to aphid infestation, so that when aphids threaten, the network can provide advance notice for the rest of the crop.

"Now we've got a chance in a really robust manner of switching on the defence when it is needed - not straining the plant to do it all the time - and to reduce the development of resistance (of the aphids to the plants' defences)," Prof Pickett said.

This message was edited May 23, 2013 10:48 AM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9530973

Yes, that IS amazing. Thanks for posting.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9531330

That is interesting! Aphids and spider mites are my 2 biggest pest problems. I wonder if there is anything that will work like that with the spider mites?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9534396

thanks for reposting liseP >>>
not on this specific topic..but myco inoculation/companion planting..and
the interconnected relations each plant has..and the fungus..
i am finding sucess with use of both endo/ecto myco inoculants with my tropicals
especially my amorphophallus..and alocasia/colocasias
again i know im stretchinnnnnggggg your discussion here..but the more diverse
our soils,plantings.. when "crap" happens..whether its extremes in weather,lack of
water,bug infestation,unwelcome fungus/bacterials.. the plants that have "help"
from these benificial plants/and or mycos have a better chance to survive or thrive..
again..much thanks !!!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9536413

Thank you, Lise!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 28, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9537697

Lise Thank you I have long suspected a secret comunication in plants but now i know it as fact

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America