AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9532567

I have never had anything but store bought supermarket type eggplnt but this year am growing my own for the first time. I bought seedlings of "Classic" and they have been planted out and doing well for a while now. But I wished I could try something more exotic. Well, today at our local nursery I found plants of "Ichiban" and " Gretal". They just came in. So I bought a plant of each. I should have a lot of eggplant fruit this year! "Gretal" is white and I have never even seen a white eggplant before.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9532580

Good luck with your egg plants, especially the white one. Keep us posted on their progress.This is my first year with egg plant in many years. I just planted two Black Beauties,they seem to be doing pretty good, I think flea beetles may be putting holes in the leaves. I will learn with these two then see if I think it is worth the effort. I have decided some things are not worth the trouble to grow and some things are just fun to grow.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9533031

Greetings. I'm here.

My Gretyls from last season overwintered on the covered patio. They are loaded with new fruits.

Below is the Black counterpart -- Hansel.

Eggplants are water-hogging hungry hippos. FEED them regularly, and you will be rewarded. I add Black Kow Composted manure at planting.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

May 25, 2013
2:57 AM

Post #9533206

My Hansels from last last season were brought in on cold nights (there wasn't many this year) also and haven't stopped producing. I used an EB and Tapla's 5-1-1 mix with a little more peat for wicking and 2 gal. of good compost. I feed every 2 weeks w/ miracle grow and in april I worked 1/4 cup each of trace elements and time released fert. into the top of the soil since it had been a year since planting. Eggplant and okra are 2 of my favorite veggies to grow not only for taste but also because you plant once and harvest all season from the same plants instead of having to replant every few weeks to have a steady supply although I've never had plants last this long and do this well. But then I'd never tried Tapla's mix and protecting from the cold before either. Is it the new varieties, new growing methods or a combination of both? GYMGIRL , I think we need to pay close attetion to just how long our plants do produce and the quality of the fruit as the plants get older. I planted a white one last month just in case this one starts going downhill. If it doesn't I guess I'll have lots to share.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9533416

Well, mine will not be overwintering cause we have snow here but as long as they produce well for the season I will be very happy. I will keep them well fed and watered.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9533481

Susie, are eggplants and okra (I really like both, too) like tomatoes, in that if kept in proper conditions, will produce and grow for years? I've heard that tomatoes will just keep growing round and round a greenhouse for years. Wouldn't it be great to have a giant eggplant that continued to produce for years? Yummm!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9533558

My eggplants also made it through the winter, as it was unusually mild here. Normally, I would have pulled them in order to plant my winter veggies, but didn't have the energy. I was really surprised when they started growing and flowering again! I also have Classic. I found they grow better for me than the Black Beauty. I've also had Ichiban and Fairy Tale. The FT are really sweet looking little groups of small, light purple and cream colored fruits. I rarely peel my homegrown eggplant and definitely not the little Fairy Tale. We've eaten the first couple and now the plants are ready to make a big crop. It's already in the 90's here!
Good luck with your eggplants everyone!
Janet

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9533575

I guess I found my answer: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/67899.html

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9533586

it is not a nice day here, breezy and drizzel. But I got my two new eggplants planted anyway. Now they can grow!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9533803

I have problems with flea beetles on my eggplant and I hate to keep dusting with rotenone. It does work but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible. A friend suggested growing them in planters on my balcony and I did get nice, healthy plants that way but not much in the way of fruit, so maybe the trick is to nurse them along in the planter until they can withstand some pests and then put them in the garden.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9534031

I always cover my eggplants with Remay cloth to keep the flea beetles away. Once the plants get quite large I will remove it since they are usually large enough to withstand a moderate onslaught and the cloth no longer covers them adequately anymore. But I understand that eggplants self pollinate anyway so I could theoretically leave them on. I will have to devise a better tent system with the cloth so it still covers when they get bigger. I grow my eggplants mostly in Earthboxes.
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

May 26, 2013
2:24 AM

Post #9534160

Solace thanks for the link, I really didn't have the answer either. I did have okra planted where rabbitt pens had been one year that got almost a year old before a freeze got it and had to use a ladder to pick it. Like Bariolio we pulled or plowed anything that survived July and August heat, which was usually only the Okra and Eggplant, and they were looking pretty rough at the end of August and planted another round of Cukes, Squash and beans to harvest before we planted winter crops in mid November. With the advent of earth boxes I can move plants to give them protection from the cold and the blistering sun here in the summer. Strawberries were the one thing I could not keep in the right growing conditions long enough to get more than a few berries before they died. When I first saw EB's I was skeptical but thought I'd give it a try with my most challenging crop, Strwberries. It made a beleiver out of me. The moisture stays even and when the heat sets in I move them into the shade until fall. I said that to say this, EB's have made it possible to keep longer lived plants in the right conditions to be able to grow and harvest for more than just one season. GreenhouseGal, if your getting enough sun on your balcony try an EB. You won't be disappointed.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9534224

Gardadore, I don't know why I hadn't thought of Remay, although my eggplant are usually planted along a long row so I'd need a lot of it. Right now I could cover them easily, though, since they're in a planter. Thanks for the suggestion! Susie, I think I'll stick with a simple planter right now because it will keep the eggplants in a more convenient place for me to tend them. I wonder if EBs would help with squash bugs, though...
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9534368

I plant squash in my EB's and unfortunately the squash bugs have found them!! I am using a good quality mosquito netting to try to keep them away but they still get in. The only good the netting does there is to inhibit the squash borers. This year I have bought some parthenocarpic squash called Partenon (is self pollinating) and a pest control pop up tent from Gardener's Supply to keep all bugs out. I have used one successfully to grow broccoli and Brussels Sprouts with no worms! The tents come in different sizes. My first one 3' x 6' has been a lifesaver since my husband would never eat the broccoli after seeing green worms on it. Now he does!
http://www.gardeners.com/Tall-Pest-Control-Pop-Ups/40-228RS,default,pd.html?SC=YNA7200A

I hope that works but the squash bugs can live in the soil. Since this will be a new area of the garden for the squash I hope I will avoid them. I plan to put some eggplants in there as well as see how that works against the flea beetles since the mesh on my new one is finer than the broccoli one! I will find out if eggplants really do self pollinate!

All we can do is keep trying and experimenting. My husband always kids me about my million dollar vegetables with all these investments just to get organically home grown veggies!! But I think it's worth it and it's fun as well as healthy!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9534394

I have tried growing squash under Remay and also under the pop-up tents from Gardeners Supply. I hate to tell you that neither worked. The pop-up tent blew over once or twice before we figured out how to secure it better, but I don't think that was the only reason that my squash were still infested with squash bugs. I am planning to use the tent for my cabbage and brussels sprouts, and I should probably get it up ASAP. Voles are eating some of my plants but I'd like to protect those that remain from green worms.

Oh, and I'd never grown squash in that area before, either...
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9534814

I learned quickly that those tents needed an extra post or pole at each corner so my new one was set up (in the wind the other day!!) and as fast as we could we attached double bamboo poles to each corner while the top kept caving in. By the fourth pole we were good to go. Do you have the tents with the flat top or the ones that come to a point? I ask because my tents have tabs on the bottom that fasten into the ground with included tent hooks. While they can still come loose and tip over, I guess, attaching the poles at the corners did more to prevent cave-ins than anything else. Well, you have confirmed the one fact that those critters probably overwinter in the earth and it can be away from their original site. I will give it a try anyway and see what happens. Maybe I'll luck out the first year until they catch on! I will still have some squash in the EB's so maybe they won't notice the other crop! I try to catch and destroy the eggs as fast as possible and that helps until we go visit our grandsons for a week in Arizona and then I've usually lost the rhythm (and the battle!).
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9534962

I am growing my squash in all compost this year in a site that has not had anything but weeds and grass for years. So far so good, I harvested my first two squash yesterday and so far no sign of pests (not counting Armadillos). I am doing the same for my Cucumbers, and Melons.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9535009

Seedfork, maybe that's the answer - totally squash-virgin soil! Gardadore, my tent is the large flat top with zippers on either side. I'll be interested in hearing how you make out with yours. We fastened ours down last year with stakes and also used bamboo poles for stability, but a windstorm forced a pole through the netting and we had to mend it. Remay didn't help the year I tried that; they still got in, especially where two lengths were connected, even though I doubled the fabric over and fastened it with clothespins.

For svbs I have found that silver plastic mulch makes a huge difference. That's why my main problem is now squash bugs. A friend suggested Lemon Squash as a variety that doesn't seem much affected by the bugs, so I'm trying that. I'm also planting fewer in a row so it's easier to monitor. If I didn't care whether my produce was organic or not I truly wouldn't bother! The first few years we lived here we had no problems at all, and then wham!
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9535601

I know what you mean about the "wham" factor! Eventually the critters tell all their friends about the good deals available in our gardens!

I have heard about using the silver plastic mesh but so far I have little trouble since I use the remay and the mosquito netting.

The new tent I bought last fall seems to have a stronger mesh than the one I got 3 years ago. I even had trouble working my wire through it to tie the end to my poles so that is a good sign. It seems that after a season the mesh begins to dry out and get more brittle. Then it is easier to put your hand through it! I do take them down each fall but they clearly have a limited life span!

I think we bother with all this because organic store bought food is very expensive. If I wanted an easier route I wouldn't grow organic veggies at all and just go with the regular stuff. But this TASTES so much better and I bet on it extending my life!! I guess we will have to plan on "sharing" each year with the critters and be grateful for what we do harvest.

I am also growing the lemon cucumber again this year. I ran out of seeds a few years ago and finally replaced them. They are delicious!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9535889

Although this thread is about eggplant, I have a tip for okra. Did you know you can cut off the top when they're getting really tall and they'll branch out? Makes more okra that way and you can reach them all!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9536427

Thank you, bariolio! I'm five feet tall, and love okra, so that is a very helpful tip. I've heard that okra is good to grow eggplant with, so I will do that also. Along with some flowers to draw 'beneficials'. My eggplant are hanging in there, inside, and the Lidstada de Gandia are getting good size. I started the Casper, but they don't have their true leaves, yet. Until today they shared some space on a dresser by a window with some scarlet runner beans, cosmos starts, and a little Charleston Gray watermelon that's decided to bloom in the house. It got transplanted into a Dutch bucket and is setting on the porch, but I might feel sorry for it and bring it in, since its in the mid thirties at night here, still. Thursday it might freeze, too. The eggplants have been extremely babied. Hope they harden off and do well when I do set them out. The sun here, at this high altitude, just burns so many things to a crisp. Shade cloth (old sheer curtains) will be employed, I'm sure.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9536601

bariolio
I did cut the tip of my okra plant last year and it stopped growing , like it was stunted !
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9536622

Does the variety make a difference? In my climate the okra rarely gets that tall because it isn't warm enough so I also wonder if the size of the plant plays a role. Bariolio says she cuts it when really tall. I'm sure it grows way better in Texas than here in PA but I enjoy trying! The idea of getting it to branch more is appealing.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9536747

I also wonder if it might be necessary to cut more than just the very tip off to make it branch.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9536819

Solace,
I'm also growing Listada de Gandia. Keep in touch with me, please, so we can compare notes!

Thanks!

Linda

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 28, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9536830

Okay, Linda. :) I've never even eaten that type, I hope it's worth all the babying, lol.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9537788

Well, both eggplant and okra love the heat so growing them together usually works for that reason, if no other. I guess I just always grow both. And yes, it gets REALLY hot here and it stays hot for many months. I've had okra still producing into November and it could probably have gone longer but I usually need the garden space for winter/spring stuff. I'm not sure if the variety matters but I've planted Clemson spineless, Louisiana Green Velvet, Perkins Mammoth Long Pod, and maybe some other kind. Seems like one of them made side shoots without having to top it (not Clemson). Anyway, don't we all love to try new things?! I find it so interesting to talk with people from different areas trying to grow the same thing and hearing about the different climates and how it affects growth. I wouldn't have known about the high altitude burning things! I've always lived below sea level (New Orleans area) or just above!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9538019

We all have such different sets of pests, too!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9541013

Found another kind of eggplant today at the nursery that I didn't have so I bought it. Called Rosa Bianca.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9541036

Hi all, I've been lurking and enjoyed finding more tips on how to grow eggplants and other veggies. Due to limited sunny site in the garden. This year I decided to try some in container. To begin with, I purchased this eggplant from the box store. I'm thrilled to see some fruits beginning to form. Rita, do share some of your Rosa Bianca's pics. with us later. For those of us that having trouble with eggplants attracting flea beetles. I've found that having my eggplant planted out in the open where it catches freely circulated wind. That seems to eliminated the beetles problem. I can only surmised that fleas chose shady, non-windy sites to lay eggs? Hah, that's my thought.

Today I went out to the box store and bought some okras plants. I'll try them in containers as well. Will share more pics. as they become fruitions.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9541068

Lily_love,
That is adorable!

Eggplants do ESPECIALLY well in containers, especially eBuckets with built-in self- watering reservoirs, because they are water HOGS, and benefit from being able to draw on the water source at will.

Check out the eBucket thread.

#1 That's a Black Beauty eggplant setting on my 5-gallon eBucket. It was approximately 11" tall.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9541113

The only okra seedlings they sell here in either the nurseries or the big box stores are Clemson Spineless. I bought some seeds instead from Burpee of a baby okra variety they say is good for containers. Bought a really, really humingous pot and will see how that goes. It is hot and humid here on Long Island. In fact over 90 today and yesterday so the okra should love it here.

I have three eggplants to plant. The Rosa Bianca I bought today and the Fairy Tale and Purple Rain I bought from Burpee. I should be over run with eggplant this year.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9541401

I have grown all the eggplants mentioned thus far except Fairy Tale, which I have read is very good if a smaller variety. I grew Hansel and Gretl last summer but decided to stay with the larger round or long ones. Rita, I think you will really love the Rosa Bianca. I have Turkish neighbors who grow tons of eggplant for their wonderful dishes and the one year I gave them some of my seedlings they said the Rosa Bianca was the best! I never got the quantity they did, but I am not as expert at growing them as they seem to be!
This summer I am growing 12 varieties (29 plants) - the new one for me in the list is Ukrainian Beauty. Here is what I am growing:
Applegreen, Black King, Casper (white variety), Dairyu-Big Dragon (my favorite - large and prolific), Diamond, Enorma, Farmer's Long, Japanese Millionaire, Louisiana Long Green, Ping-Tung Long, Rosa Bianca, and Ukrainian Beauty. I will put 6 different ones in my new tent to see how they produce with no pollination and deter the flea beetles. The rest will go in EarthBoxes, Coir Bags, or Straw Bales. Tomorrow will be a busy day despite this heat wave!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9541423

gardadore, you sure have a lot of eggplant. This is all new to me and I went overboard buying. Don't need as many as I have but wanted to try the different ones that I saw.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9541449

What a list! Oh, the Baba Ganoush !!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
9:05 PM

Post #9541506

I'm growing Black Beauty, Fairy Tale, one called San Remo I was given the seed but I can't find an EP named that so we shall see, Rosa Bianca, Goyo Kumba, Kamo,China Scarlet, Lista De Gandia, Round Green ( Thai), Purple Egg ( Thai), and Yellow Egg (Thai). The yellow egg doesn't look very good after the rain last weekend but if it doesn't make it I think I'll still have enough. I grow them bc I think they look interesting.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9541515

Wow, I'm blown away by all these eggplant varieties! This year is my tomato variety explosion. Maybe next year I'll try all those different types of eggplant. We love them! Make sure to post pics of all the different fruits. Also, if you think they taste different.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9541533

You should see my list of tomatoes. Actually it's not really a list, if it was I'd post it. Peppers might be worse..go to rareseeds.com they have some wonderful pics.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9541686

Rosa Bianca is my favorite eggplant to grow for its taste.
It just takes so long before the plants start to bare fruits.
This year I am having the best eggplant plants ever, after I changed their location.

Thumbnail by drthor

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9541856

I see some tomato cages around your eggplants. That might be a great idea for me also.

After one cooks the eggplant is there really a lot of flavor difference between varieties? I mean I know there isa lot of flavor difference between tomato varieties but I eat tomatoes raw and would be cooking eggplant. Is eggplant edible raw?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9541929

Actually,
I have only one cage. A friend of mine gave it to me ... and I did try it ... and it might be a good idea.
Yes, there is a different taste between eggplants. Rosa Bianca is more sweet.
The most important factor on growing and eating eggplants, is that you must harvest them when they are small and the skin is shiny.
If the skin is dull looking it is too late and the eggplant will taste bitter ... that's why a lot of people say that they don't like eggplants ... most of the time at the store they sell large eggplants to make more money ...
I never eat raw eggplant ... I dunno

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9541947

See, I am learning every day. Harvest while skin is shiney is a good thing to remember. I have never had anything but store bought eggplant so I am truely looking forward to eating my own fresh from the garden.

Are those bamboo stakes they sell at garden centers good enough to stake eggplant? I am not sure what I should use.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9542048

Yes, Gymgirl, the Baba Ganoush, one of our favorite dips and very easy to make! We also love sautéed eggplants. Large eggplants make great mini-pizzas as well. Slice, bake until tender, put favorite toppings on and continue baking until the cheese melts or the toppings are hot. This is a very versatile vegetable, which, by the way, I absolutely hated as a child! Now I actually get cravings for it!

This message was edited Jun 1, 2013 9:56 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9542139

Hi everyone, check this out for some new recipe for eggplant. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/danny-boome/eggplant-lasagna-recipe/index.html

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9542279

newyorkrita
bamboo stakes are a good support for eggplants ... but I love to run twines around the stakes to make more support for the branches.
If your season is long enough the plants will start to branch out and fruits will also develop there. More support is better.
Enjoy !

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9542295

Thanks. I was thinking the tomato cages aren't going to work for me and the bamboo stakes would be much better.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9542339

They make good container plants also, like peppers they are really perennials. I plant many of mine in containers bc they are pretty plants with pretty fruit. This also helps if you have a short season. I've grown some of the smaller Thai varieties as house plants. Pick the young, small ones to eat. I don't eat many of mine I'm funny abt food I figure if I have to add all that stuff to make it edible then it has too many calories but I grow them every year. Lol

They all taste different some are very ethnic and taste better then others but they are so cool looking!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9542364

That is good that eggplants are great in containers because mine are all in pots.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9542584

Perfect for containers.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9541068
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9542612

That link is this thread, I think.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9542710

Oops!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9542906

:)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9542971

Linda, the e-bucket sounds/seems like a great idea on planting veggies. My daughter has successfully planting pumpkins with those water-conserving buckets out West. Here in the SE, we're over run with rain fall this year, my main concern with container gardening is the wind. If I can plant my tall growing veggies in container that will not be knock down or blown off by the wind then I can look forward to harvesting time. ^_^

I think my eggplant maybe 'black beauty'. I just gave it a weak liquid fertilizer couple days ago. And yesterday, I planted a few 'Clemson spineless' Okra plants. I'm looking forward to plant a few more okras, got myself some peppers. May add some tomatoes.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9549020

Hi I am planting eggplants again this year for the third time. First time in a container and I had good luck. Last year in the ground and they not only didn't do well, the squirrels destroyed them. I read that they do better in containers especially because they are susceptible to viruses? Anyways, mine are back in containers and seem to be growing. Rita, like you, the weather is not good here in Montreal. If the sun decides to come out and stay out, which apparently isn't the case, mine are in full sun. I will keep the shiny skin in mind. It's always a question of how big they are supposed to be depending on the variety.
Sharon

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9549254

So far my eggplants in container are doing well, in this group, there are 4 plants, and currently I've more than a dozen fruits! I'll see about making lasgna soon. Whooohoooo!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9549635

Lily_love
when did you start your eggplant seeds?
which variety in the picture?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9549664

drthor, I bought the plant from a big box store. I believe it's labeled 'Black Beauty'. It was blooming profusely when the plant was marked down 50% off. I've a couple peppers plants that I purchased at the same time. I'm growing some Asian veggies by starting from seeds at present...these will be worked into various containers as well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9549824

Solace,
Anything to report on the Listada de Gandia eggplants? Mine are still thinking about it...

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9549942

They're still inside the house in the solo cups (vermiculite/perlite mix) and being fed hydroponics liquid fertilizer. I have to feed them half Grow Big and half Big Bloom (both by Fox Farm) - a tablespoon of each mixed with two quarts tepid water - because they're blooming. Not at the same time, lol, but they're blooming. I might invite that wasp back in to pollinate if they ever bloom at the same time. Or use q-tips.

I transplanted some out with the okra, outside, and they're hanging in there, not too pretty - the bugs already found them, but no blooms on those.

The casper were planted later but they're doing well with east light at a window. I may put them under the lamp, now, though.

I have the most house-lazy plants on earth, I think. I put a watermelon outside in the shade to harden off and it just wilted to no end, so I had to bring it back in and now it's happy. Go figure.

How are your eggplant doing?

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9549948

They're still inside the house in the solo cups (vermiculite/perlite mix) and being fed hydroponics liquid fertilizer. I have to feed them half Grow Big and half Big Bloom (both by Fox Farm) - a tablespoon of each mixed with two quarts tepid water - because they're blooming. Not at the same time, lol, but they're blooming. I might invite that wasp back in to pollinate if they ever bloom at the same time. Or use q-tips.

I transplanted some out with the okra, outside, and they're hanging in there, not too pretty - the bugs already found them, but no blooms on those.

The casper were planted later but they're doing well with east light at a window. I may put them under the lamp, now, though.

Those Listada de Gandia will have to have a bigger container, soon. I plan to keep them in hydro, so more of the other smaller ones will probably go outside. I have four with good sized leaves.

I have the most house-lazy plants on earth, I think. I put a watermelon outside in the shade to harden off and it just wilted to no end, so I had to bring it back in and now it's happy. Go figure.

How are your eggplant doing?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9549963

My Black Beauty has about 7-8 fruits about the size of an orange. And, the Gretels are simply loaded with long white fruits! But, I have got to put my garden on an Automatic Watering System (AWS), and SOON!!! because I look out and the plants are swooning between waterings, which is NOT a good thing!

I have TWO AWS drip kits in the original boxes, and have yet to install them. For some reason, thinking about all the installation steps just paralyzes me. But, I'm attending a drip irrigation class this weekend from a "hands on" approach, so that might give me the courage to tackle the installation. And, I'm taking along a friend with a "let's git 'er done" attitude, so I will press her into standing by my side, and we might actually have it installed right after the class!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9549964

This is a very cool spring. I am cooking in my oven in the stove right now. Honestly, to be so cool in June that I can have the oven on for hours? Unheard of! I have a thick sweatshirt on too but do have some windows open. It is raining a damp and chilly.

Anyway, by the time I planted all my tomatoes (62 plants) and peppers (14 plants) in ground I was out of room for things like eggplant and zucchini. First time for me growing both eggplant and zucchini. But I planted them in containers. I did look up growing eggplant on Y-tube and found lots of people did them in containers and said they do better in containers.

Two pictures. First my biggest of my ten eggplants. And then a picture of one of the newest ones I planted.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita         

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9550046

Bonica
Prosperosa
Ping Tung
Malaysian Red
Casper

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9550048

These are the eggplants I harvested today.
They are just beautiful.
So far no pest damages in the new area I planted them this year.

Thumbnail by drthor

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9550124

I agree, lovely !

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9550129

Linda, best of luck and have fun with AWS project, you can do it. Rita, this spring is quite unusual! A prolonged cool period is for sure. Here come those eggplants! drthor, whoa! Look at all those good looking eggplants! And the harvest for the day looks yummy. Oh you even have those yard long been as well. Great job all.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9550130

In spite of the lousy weather I am happy to report one of my eggplants, Neon, has flowers! Rita, I think you'll find they do very well in containers.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9550372

No flowers on any of my eggplants as yet.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9551456

When is the rain going to end?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9570451

Ping Tung Long
Calliope
I live in sand and heat, I threw a capful (abt 1/4cup) of tomato fertilizer around each plant and worked and watered in- last month and this month.

Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana         

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9570767

Wonderful posts!

Ya'll (other than Kitt ) haven't mentioned FEEDING your eggplants. They are HUNGRY HIPPOS as well as WATER HOGS! Use a balanced fertilizer like Triple 13, one tablespoon per square foot, sprinkled away from the roots (about 4"), and watered in.

Do NOT add straight up Nitrogen, or you'll get lush plants with little fruits.

Linda

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9570769

We use manure tea on ours and they really respond, Linda.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9572632

My eggplants are doing really well and have flowers.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

June 25, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9572634

My eggplants are not doing really well, and have no flowers. Recovering from spider mite infestation, but growing back. Sigh.

You'll have fruit, soo, Rita.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

June 25, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9572635

My eggplants are not doing really well, and have no flowers. Recovering from spider mite infestation, but growing back. Sigh.

You'll have fruit, soon, Rita.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9572833

Don't worry, Solace,
They can bounce back!

I once hand washed mine, leaf by leaf, with soapy water and a careful hosedown to get rid of the spider mite infestation I had.

But, I got wonderful fruits after that, so "keep hope alive!"

Linda

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9572936

Oh I hope so on the fruit soon. I can't wait. And my neighbor and friend want eggplant too so we are both waiting. So sorry yours are not doing well, Solace. Hope they bounce back as Gymgirl said.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9574297

Just checked my eggplants and I have flowers and what appears to be fruit! Last week I found a few weird looking insects in them and after spraying and picking them off, I googled the description and I think they are stink bugs. So far so good. I don't see them anymore and it looks like they haven't moved to the tomatoes, so hopefully I caught them in time. Anybody here have any experience with them? It's going to be really interesting this year. Sun is out again, but for how long, who knows. I definitely think eggplants do better in containers, at least for me. Good luck everyone. I hope everyone's hard work bears fruit, so to speak!
Sharon

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9574335

Sharon,
Please describe the weird bug you found on your eggplants.
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9574474

We enjoyed a bountiful potato crop this year, Yukon and a red potato, Detroit, I think. Feeding off chicken litter, the plants were lush. Potato bugs (Colorado potato beetle) noticed and showed. The plants were infested heavily by harvest time.

Numerous lady bugs present throughout the growing season deterred me from poisoning. It was a race to see if the crop (about 250’) would make before the CPB’s et er up. The ladies, bless their hearts, just couldn’t keep up.

Post potato harvest an army of CPB adults invaded the tomatoes (about 150’) and the eggplants (9). I had never had them in numbers too numerous to pick and pinch on either of these before. The ladies stood me up; they never showed—it’s happened before. I usually plant Black Beauty, but from some wire being crossed I ended up with what looks to be Ichibans, and potato bugs. I poisoned. The victory is mine, it appears, not Pyrrhic, I pray.

So, keep both eyes out for the CPB.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9574489

That's why I don't grow potatoes in my garden. The only year I attempted that it seemed as though I had put in an order for Colorado Potato Beetles. They came in swarms. I had never had a problem with them before, but the potatoes brought them out of the woodwork and they attacked not only those but also my tomatoes and eggplant. I have since tried growing them in bags, barrels, and other containers far away from my garden. I've never had CPBs again but I've never had decent luck with potatoes, either...

And I still find the occasional CPB on my tomatoes.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9575938

Gym girl, they had a shield shaped shell or back, like an inverted triangle. Brownish in color and with a darker mark at the bottom of the shield. I confess I knocked them off and stepped on them. Can't say I really smelled anything, but I haven't seen anymore. I have been checking my tomato plants, the eggplants and my perennials, so I'm hoping it was just a few, I think I caught about 5. Haven't seen any eggs.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9577050

There is a wonderful recipe on Mr Food today for egg plant. Hope you all print it off.

Lavina

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9582272

More and more blooms comming on my eggplants every day.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9582642

Shield bug, instar of a stink bug, leaf footed bug... Good kill.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9583077

Kittriana, thanks. I haven't seen them since, at least on the eggplants, unless they have laid eggs but I'm checking daily. Kind of freaked me out.
Rita, I'm also getting lots of blooms and the beginning of eggplants. Exciting. Now if only the rain would go away!!!! Mind you the leaves are so big on the eggplants I have still had to water. Are you fertilizing on any kind of a regular basis?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9583120

Hugobee,
The eggplants are big eaters! I'm feeding mine the Mittleider Weekly Feed (a mixture of Triple 13 Granulated Fertilizer, Epsom Salts and Mittleider Magic Minerals), once a week.

After the first harvest of about 10-12 eggplants, the plant is again full of blooms, and throwing a new flush of fruits.

Water AND Food...

You can check out the Mittleider Magic Minerals here:
http://growfood.com/shop/natural-mineral-fertilizers/

Even if you don't go with the Mittleider Minerals, you can still feed them with a mixture of a balanced fertilizer (having any 3 numbers the same between 13 and 19, e.g., 14-14-14, 16-16-16), Epsom Salts, some 20 Mule Team Borax, and either Dolomite Lime (if your avg. annual rainfall is more than 20") or gypsum (if your avg. annual rainfall is less than 20").

I'll post the recipe measurements in a few...

Linda

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9583610

[quote="hugobee"]Rita, I'm also getting lots of blooms and the beginning of eggplants. Exciting. Now if only the rain would go away!!!! Mind you the leaves are so big on the eggplants I have still had to water. Are you fertilizing on any kind of a regular basis?[/quote]

It is exciting and today I saw what I am sure of my first eggplant fruit. Gretal while eggplant. Woo-hoo!

My plants are in containers so yes, I have to fertilize a lot to keep them going. Been using AlgroFlash tomato fertilizer which is a liquid fertilizer.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9585410

Hurray, hurray. Small fruit set on Fairy Tale and also some on my white Gretal eggplant. Last picture is of the group of eggplants in their pots all pretty much together.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita      

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9585429

You go Rita! Whoa, looks great!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9585812

They're going to town! Congrats, Rita.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9586433

I just hope they do. I need lots of eggplants. I want lots of eggplants. I can't wait!
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9586477

Rita, looks great! Yep, I'm also fertilizing, mostly with a liquid fert. I'm only growing two varieties. But today, when I went to check, I was so excited at how many flowers there are and eggplants starting!! They're doing better than some of my tomatoes. Of course, that's another thread, LOL!
I must say, eggplants in containers is the way to go!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9586508

Yep.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9587059

Oh, I have lots and lots and lots of green tomatoes but only afew small, really small eggplants starting. But congrats on the eggplants starting. I think it is so exciting to see those baby eggplants starting.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2013

Post #9587774

I've got a great "Spicy Asian Eggplant" recipe ready when you are!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9587839

I love Thai-style eggplant, either alone or with ground chicken.

I've got a few fruits on "patio princess" and just waiting to see if they come through!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9595823

First picture of Gretal white eggplant, second pictire Fairy Tale eggplant.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9595824

Eggplantville!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2013
10:58 PM

Post #9595953

Great stuff! Mine are loaded with flowers and eggplants starting. Now if only my maters will be so lucky! Not sure what I'm going to do with all my eggplants. Gym girl I want our recipe.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9596118

Rita, Eggplantville is fabulous! Great job! Hi everyone.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9596212

Eggplantville is "'DA BOMB!!!!"

Hubobee,
It is SUPER simple. Once you put everything together, you smother it all down for about 20-30 minutes and then spoon it over steamed rice.

I usually add 6 large HEB Brand EZ peel shrimps to mine about the last 5-8 minutes. And, I made some this week using some leftover cubed up pork roast. That was good, too.

Many added proteins will work in this dish: cubed up chicken, probably some cubed up extra firm tofu, shrimp, fish filets (lay them in while the eggplant smothers down so the filets cook gently, and don't break apart) turkey, pork.

I prefer a seafood flavor to my eggplant dishes, so I go for the shrimp or filets!

I'll post the recipe soonest.

Linda
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9596712

I can't wait! I'm always looking for a new recipe to impress my family! LOL!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9597468

Classic eggplant and fruit.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9597469

Purple Rain Egglant. And Eggplantville!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9598587

Finially picked my first eggplants. Not sure if I should have waited or not. White Gretal and then Fairy Tale.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9599124

Beautiful! You let your Fairytale get bigger than I did. I wasn't having as much patience when growing them. Now I have all Classic eggplant. They're doing okay but have been hit hard by the flee beetles. It's just hard for me to keep up with everything I've got. But they're still making fruit :) Janet

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9599168

Fruit on my Classic are still too small to pick.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9599228

Those look great!

I finally pulled all the old blooms off my There's cuz the fruit was turning yellow. I started a new fertilizer regime, and they're full of brand new, healthier blooms.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9602477

My first fruit off Purple Rain.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9602535

NYR,
That is a nice size for an eggplant! Just enough to make about 2 hearty servings of Asian Spiced Eggplant.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9602581

Rita, nice! mine are growing, but nothing to show for it yet. I got really excited the other day as I was watering cause I saw an eggplant under all the leaves, and when I pulled the leaves back to check, it was the photo on the plastic marker! LOL! Must have been the heat...

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9602588

Since this is my first year growing eggplants, I wasn't sure when to harvest. I was afraid to leave it longer as I didn't want it to get overdone and bitter. It look right to me.

I have some nice Classic Eggplant fruits comming along but I know those should get bigger.

Next year I will be growing lots more than I put in this year.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9602591

[quote="hugobee"]Rita, nice! mine are growing, but nothing to show for it yet. I got really excited the other day as I was watering cause I saw an eggplant under all the leaves, and when I pulled the leaves back to check, it was the photo on the plastic marker! LOL! Must have been the heat...[/quote]

I am surprised you don't have fruits forming. Do you have lots of flowers?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9602669

Just harvest them close to the recommended growth size on your seed packet, and definitely before they begin to turn dull, which = bitter...

Get 'em while they're nice and shiny!
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9602932

Having a real bad problem with flea beetles. They only bother eggplant. No fruit at all yet. Stunted plants fighting for their lives. Usually I can just pick them off but this year I can't get ahead. What do you do about those tiny pests?!
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9602980

I never see the darned flea beetles, but they did put a lot of holes in my egg plant leaves. I never did spray them with anything, and the egg plants seemed to do fine even with the holes. I do not like the why the plants look though, next year I will be better prepared! Humm, seems Iike I say that every year!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9603288

From experience, I too noticed eggplants attract flea beetle larvae. And those buggers seem to await on the plant and jump out to bite the gardener(s). I squish them thing every chance I get. But then I've got ta wash my hands real well once I do. Them fleas carry disease! One thing seem to discourage their habitat is plant your eggplant in a well ventilated area. They don't seem to like windy area.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9603319

That's it, Lily!

I couldn't member that. My yard sits on a natural wind tunnel and (arrggghhh!) enjoys wind most days. My eggplants are growing along one of those currents. A very few flea beetles try to hold on, but they can't cause much damage to a large, established plant.

Thanks!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9603607

My Classic Eggplants are 6 inches long. Are they ready to pick? Should I pick them now? Afraid they will go to seed.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2013

Post #9603688

I've got black ant-ish looking bugs on my eggplants - they look like a cross between an ant and an Assassin bug. So far, they're doing less damage than the armyworms, and I drowned a serious leaf-footed bug infestation earlier. They're too tiny to take a photo of well with my phone, I'd say they're about a half an inch? With white front "feet"? I've never seen them before.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9603750

NYR,
Just pick 'em before they start turning dull...if your's is like below, that's a REALLY nice size for an eggplant. I might have to grow some next season. Where'd you get your seeds from?

Taken from the Parks website: http://www.parkswholesaleplants.com/spring-plants/vegetables/eggplant-classic/

Description:
Classic Eggplants are glossy, elongated oval shaped with a black-purple color. Eggplants produce an egg-shaped, purple or long, green fruit that is 6-9 inches long.

Transplant after the danger of frost has passed when the soil is thoroughly warm.

Eggplants are heavy feeders. Fertilize with 2-3 tablespoons of ammonium nitrate per 10 feet of row after the first harvest and every 3-4 weeks after that.

Classic Eggplant matures in 76 days. Other varieties average 65-85 days. At harvest, fruit should be large, shiny and uniform in color. When the side of the fruit is pressed slightly with thumbnail and an indentation remains, the fruit is ripe.

Spacing: Plant 24″ apart in 40″ rows.
Height: Grows 24″ to 36″ tall.
How To Grow: Plant in full sun.
Outstanding Features: Two words: Eggplant Parmesan

Tips: Eggplant is somewhat drought tolerant and should not be overly watered as this may cause the plant to develop root rot. Mulching can help to keep the plant moist and watering can be increased once flowering has occurred. Since Eggplant is a heavy feeder

Uses: Garden Vegetable/Fruit

This message was edited Jul 18, 2013 1:17 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9603802

Wow, those look just beautiful! I will go pick mine now.

I got my Classic Eggplants as seedlings in one of those nursery 6 packs at my local nursery this spring.

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9604586

Nola_Nigella,

Look like this? These are the flea beetles we have here in PA.

Also attached is the CO potao beetles adults and larva all feeding on eggplant in PA.

Thumbnail by drobarr   Thumbnail by drobarr   Thumbnail by drobarr      

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9604758

Drobarr, good guess, but they're (thankfully) not those. I've left the little suckers alone for now. My main concern is a second wave of cutworms/army worms. I've been paying much closer attention to getting rid of whatever looks like their eggs. They seem to not give a fig about any pesticides. The bugs of the bayou are tough critters.

I've learned to not over-plant, too. Most of my summer veg need room to breathe! And I'm the only one in my family who likes eggplant, anyway. :)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9604793

I agree, our southern flea beetles are almost invisibly small. But you get a sort of zippy cloud movement when you approach them.

A spraying of Bt should take care of any new wave of worms, NOLA...and, it's on the approved organics list, if that's a concern...

Linda

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9604795

Thanks, y'all! Veggie gardening has brought a whole new interesting batch of insects into my world. :)

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9604855

Ha! I know what you mean, Nola! I think there may be more wormy things in NO than Houston. But the flea beatles are eating up my eggplants too. Every now and then I spray them with water, usually in the evening when you're not supposed to but that's when I can tolerate the heat. I've also sprayed a couple of times with spinosad but I think I'd have to keep a regular spraying schedule to keep up with them. Can't seem to do any gardening "regularly" lately. Wacky thyroid = wacky brain! Mine are still making fruit but they are scarred. Do yall think insecticidal soap would slow them down?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9604882

Drench the leaves with some soapy water with Lemon Ajax, then rinse with a blast from the hose...

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9604928

pyrethins, neem oil, insecticidal soap, spinosad...all of those should work if used consistantly.

I used to live in South East Texas and I remeber the bugs were much more in number and for much longer than we have them up north.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9605071

Here are pictures of the Classic Eggplants I picked late yesterday afternoon. First picture is the biggest one and then the five others. So I had a total of 6. I gave them to my friend and neighbor that has been waiting for eggplants.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9605078

Those are really nice, Rita!

How big were the other 5?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9605090

Just slightly smaller than that biggest one.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9605120

NiCE!

I might have to get some of those Seeds next season.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9605126

There are of course more eggplants on them but those are much smaller.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9605480

Congrats, very nice. Mine are starting. Had some heavy rain today so I haven't had a chance to check on them.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9605489

Seems to take a long time from flowers to when the eggplants are ready.

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9605509

Mine are just flowering

Thumbnail by drobarr

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9605511

I've tried everything from neem to DE to bT to imacloprid, all thanks to DG. My grandma says its just the location of my garden - lots of runoff, standing water, drainage, and neighborly issues. "grow the soil, not the plants" and all my good soil washes off.

But we're moving soon to a different house in the neighborhood, yay! With a dishwasher and better ground.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2013 7:42 PM

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9607190

Gretal. Fairy Tale. Third picture more Fairy Tale and an Ichiban. Last Classic.

I just absolutly love the Fairy Tale Eggplants, intend to plant an entire row of those next year. Then I also really, really like those white Gretal Eggplants. Both are extra yummy.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9612384

My eggplants seem to be going thru a very few blossoms stage. I sure hope lots more blossoms come soon.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9612460

Thanks, Linda. I'll have to get some lemon ajax and try that. I've hit them twice now with insecticidal soap. Won't know for a while how well it's working. The last few evenings I've been spraying and fertilizing all my veggies. I hope they all recover. The only thing looking decent is the okra. I planted a bit late this year and they are just now producing.
Rita, my eggplant also seem to take a rest and then start another bloom cycle. It's probably normal :) Your eggplants are beautiful!
We're about to go on vaca and I hope things will be okay while we're gone. I have a friend that will babysit! She's a master gardener, so maybe they'll be better when I get back! Janet

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9612490

I hope they start up soon!
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9612563

SCButtercup, I've been plagued by flea beetles for years. Can't grow arugula or turnip or mustard greens at all. But I've been able to save my eggplant with Spinosad. I don't agree that BT or insecticidal soap work. First, it's not been my experience, but second, flea beetles don't live on the plants. They hop away. Insecticidal soap has to hit the insect. BT has to hit the larvae.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9614533

Great! I have spinosad, I've been working outside and here I go! My cucs are crappy looking too. The insects have been bad this summer.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9614583

I never use any fungicide or insectacide on my eggplants.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9616624

Territorial Seed has Millionaire Eggplant plants in the spring. I missed it this year but am thinking of next year. I guess not on this thread (cause I went thru it again) one of our posters talks about her Millionaire Eggplants. But I can't remember who it was.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9616625

Oh I forgot to add that so far my favorites of the eggplants I am growing are the small fruited ones. Fairy Tale is my favorite, Gretal second favorite. Rosa Bianca I don't much like at all, I will not be growing it next year.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9625817

Rosa Bianca, Ichiban and Classic.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9625824

Rita,
What don't you like about the Rosa Bianca? It certainly is a pretty little thing, LOL!

What do you look for in determining your eggplant preferences?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9625835

This one looks much better. The first one was really strange looking and just about all in that top outside stuff they grow out of. Prickly! So I will try it again and re-evalute.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9627345

So I discovered one eggplant had really droopy leaves the Neon eggplant. I watered well, but it looks like it might have some type of wilt. It doesn't seem to be the whole plant. I'm removing leaves and a couple of stems. Any advice?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9627427

They leaves get droopy on mine if they want water. I water, they are fine.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9627540

Lunch from my garden. Grilled eggplant topped with grilled tomato slices. Yummy!

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9627924

mmmmmm newyorkrita looks good!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9627992

Nice, indeed!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9631459

Purple Rain and Rosa Bianca.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9631589

Ok, I've been promising to post this recipe over on the veggie forum, but, ya'll get it first, LOL!

Last night I made up my last batch of Spicy Eggplant, portioned for the freezer. It'll taste so good in the middle of winter, with some juicy shrimp thrown in!

SPICY EGGPLANT (Original Recipe)

"Eggplant cubes are stir-fried until browned, then simmered in a spicy Asian-inspired sauce with onion and garlic until meltingly tender."

My adjustments are in ( ).

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use Olive Oil)
4 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes
(or, slice them on the diagonal, like plantains)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use Olive Oil)
2 onions, thinly sliced (thin is better, too)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (I put LOTS of garlic)
2 tablespoons soy sauce (I adjust to my taste)
2 Tbs. water (I use about 2 cups of water. You can also use shrimp broth or rice wine vinegar;
I use about 1/4 cup rice vinegar -- no wine -- and 2 cups of water, because I like more sauce
over my rice. Plus, it takes awhile to stew the okra down, and you need enough liquid...)
1 &1/2 tablespoons Oyster Sauce
(or use 1/2 fish sauce & 1/2 Worcestershire -- I use a good bit of the Oyster sauce; The fish
sauce is SALTY, and I've never used the Worcestershire sauce...)
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (adjust to your taste -- I use about 2 Tsps. in mine for a kick)
1 teaspoon white sugar (I've only used brown sugar, and I like it. I also tend to go on the
sweeter side, because it cuts some of the eggplant bitterness, if you're a little past the
prime. More like 2-3 teaspoons for me -- It balances with the salty, so it's not totally sweet.
But once you add the shrimp, you can appreciate the sweet...)
Ground black pepper (or red pepper flakes, to taste)
1/2 teaspoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil (drizzled on the finished plate...)
Toasted Sesame Seeds for texture (optional - I've never used them, although you might
consider toasting up some Ramen Noodles and garnishing for crunch)
Fresh Ginger (optional -- I LOVE the subtle ginger flavor; mince finely & saute with the onions
and garlic)
Fresh Broccoli flowerettes (haven't added these, but I think I'll add some in the future)
Shrimp, chicken, beef, or firm Tofu for protein (I've used shrimp and chicken -- I prefer adding
the shrimp, because it adds its sweetness to the eggplant; I'd consider some cubed pork or
honey ham in the future, again, because these would add sweetness to the eggplant.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Make your sauce FIRST. Mix the soy sauce, water, oyster sauce, chili garlic sauce, sugar,
and black pepper, and stir to form a smooth sauce. Adjust to your taste, and set aside.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet or wok (I use my cast iron skillet) over medium
high heat until almost smoking. Cook and stir the eggplant cubes until they begin to brown, 3
to 5 minutes. Remove the eggplant with a slotted spoon, and set aside.

3. Heat 2 more tablespoons of oil in the skillet over medium-high heat, and cook and stir the
onions just until they begin to soften, about 30 seconds. Stir in the garlic, and cook and stir an
additional 30 seconds.

4. Return the eggplant to the skillet, pour on the sauce, lower the heat, and allow the
vegetables and sauce to simmer until the eggplant is tender and almost all the liquid has
been absorbed, about 10-15 minutes (If you do NOT add the extra water to your sauce, you
won't have a lot of sauce over your rice -- mostly a drier eggplant mixture). Drizzle sesame
oil over the dish, and give one final brief stir to combine. Careful with that Sesame Oil!

Here are some helpful Allrecipes.com reviews I printed out before I made this the first time, for add'l tips and warnings

►Used everything but oyster sauce to keep it vegetarian. Served over ramen noodles (without seasoning packet). I used ROSA BIANCA eggplant from Farmers' Market. It has a wonderfully firm texture and not watery as regular eggplant can be. Can't wait to have again.

►I followed the instructions making only a few slight modifications - I added in a splash of rice wine vinegar, brown sugar instead of white, a teaspoon of teriyaki sauce and a sprinkle of ginger. Also, I left out the sesame oil and sprinkled toasted sesame seeds on the top. I served alongside sticky rice, broccoli, and prawns made simply with butter and lemon. I will certainly make this dish again and found the inclusion of Japanese eggplant versus the standard variety larger headed eggplant to be the key

►Excellent! I add shrimp for my husband for protein, and I also double the sauce, definitely a keeper.

►The only problem was that I didn't cook the eggplant long enough so it was a bit bitter.

►Add more chili paste to make it spicier. Cashews for crunch. Green onions for color. Serve on rice noodles.

►This was great! I omitted the oyster sauce, but everything else was the same. I spread it over pizza dough and sprinkled it with cheese (although it really didn't need it) and baked it. Absolutely LOVED it!

►This was an excellent dish. I added firm tofu which soaked up a lot of the flavor and made it more of a main dish for my family.

►I finally bought Japanese eggplant and wanted to make Basil Eggplant that I get at our favorite Thai restaurant. I decided to use this recipe and add basil. Recipe is outstanding! Don't be tempted to overcook the eggplant in the beginning. I mixed all of the sauce ingredients in a little bowl and added all at one time to the pan, increasing the sugar to 2 tsp. instead of 1. Added chopped basil (3-4 TBS of chopped) at the end. It is the very first time I cooked a sauce in a recipe that actually tasted like a sauce in a restaurant. Definitely a keeper for us. Next time I'm going to add chicken or shrimp...or both. Served with white and brown rice (choices) and sugar snap peas.

►Really good recipe. I used rice wine instead of water, brown sugar instead of white, and I added about a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger. Instead of adding the garlic and sesame oil at later stages in the recipe, I mixed both with the sauce. I diced the onion instead of slicing so everything would be the same shape. I used Lee Kum Kee Garlic Chili Sauce. It's really chunky and more of a paste than a sauce. I don't find it that spicy so I added red pepper flakes to the sauce to boost up the heat. I stir fried the eggplant in two batches using a 14" carbon steel wok, and added about 6 fresh basil leaves to the last batch. I returned the eggplant and onion back to the wok and then stirred in the sauce and let it cook for a minute or so. I kept stirring as it cooked to keep it from burning. I will make this again as it is a tasty and quick recipe for eggplant.

►I loved this recipe!! I actually didn't have SESAME OIL but I could see how it would just add more to the flavors. I also substituted Worcestershire sauce for the oyster sauce.

►Tasty! to make it easier, you can just cook the onion and the eggplant in the same pan, then add the sauce ingredients and stir it all together.

►This is a phenomenal way to use eggplant. I used Sriracha because I did not have any Garlic Chili sauce and it add a good amount of spice - also I added ginger and the garlic and sesame oil to the sauce as other reviews did and it's a great flavor blend. I suggest cooking everything together for much longer, almost 15 minutes, so the eggplant gets really creamy and absorbs all the sauce. Great, easy, fast recipe! Oh- I also added oyster mushrooms - great addition!

Enjoy!

Linda

This message was edited Aug 15, 2013 1:49 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9631620

YUMM!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9631643

Enjoy, Rita!

Two things:
►The Gretel eggplants lend themselves beautifully to this recipe. I've tried it with all the varieties I grew this season, and these are my favorite to use. The Black Beauties get absolutely mushy, and the Hansel skins are tougher. I don't peel the Gretels , either -- just slice them on the diagonal. The other varieties I grew that were (I guess) similar to the Rosa Biancas, were ok, too.

You just have to absolutely catch all the eggplants before they go dull, or else they will be bitter in this dish. Which is why my "ace-in-the-hole" is the added sugar, and the shrimp...

But, not to worry -- you CAN substitute Splenda sweetener for the sugar!

►The other thing is that I cook this recipe down at least 15-20 minutes. The Gretel skins hold the flesh together, but I rough chop it with the side of my big spoon once it starts cooking down. And, my double? triple? batch of sauce gives me plenty liquid to work with in the simmering, and over my rice.

Hugs!

Linda

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9631671

I have never peeled any of my varieties of eggplant that I grow. Skins haven't been bad on any. I do love Gretal. Plan to plant more next year and Hansel also. Plus Fairy Tale which is my favorite this year. Ichiban I will also grow again. So I see that I do really like those Asian Eggplants.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9633463

num num num :) Can't wait to try it, Linda! But I'll have to BUY eggplant! Mine are in a major slump and I don't have the energy to nurture them at the moment.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9633489

My eggplants are being slackers also!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9635397

Ichiban. I will be growing these again next year also.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America