ID please

Decatur, GA

Please forgive this terrible picture taken through a window from a distance. These two made an appearance at my feeder this morning while I was sipping coffee and reading email in my bed. Hmmm its a morning routine since I retired. Luckily my camera was at hand so I did what I could to get a picture. Anyway, I don't know what they might be. Can someone help?
Thanks,
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Red-tailed Hawk, immatures (young from 2012).

Resin

Decatur, GA

Thanks Resin. We certainly have Red-tailed Hawks around but I didn't know they would still had juvenile plumage from last year. I wonder if they were looking for birds to eat or if they were considering some goldfish from the pond below!! I was hoping they were looking for rodents.
Helen

Yep, the young birds have juvenile plumage until they are about a year old.

Most likely after rodents, but maybe also frogs or reptiles. They will take birds rarely, but aren't well adapted for catching them. Fish, don't know!

Resin

Entiat, WA

Check out Merlin Falcon on the net. Couldn't get my pictures to upload but they winter at our house in WA st. from Aug.to March and they do eat birds. Formerly known as sparrow hawks and they do eat birds. Coloring is a bit different for both sexes. Smallest in the falcon family and so interesting to watch.

These two are actually Red-shouldered Hawks (juveniles). The chest streaking is the field mark that rules out Red-tailed. Also, these birds show barring on their secondary flight feathers (also a Red-shouldered field mark). This barring gets more prominent in adult plumage. Red-shouldereds are the more likely Buteo to stalk feeders.

Decatur, GA

Thanks T_MK for your input. I have heard others in the neighborhood say they see red-shouldered hawks get birds at their feeders. Probably a good choice.

Millbury, MA

i agree with T_MF. these are Juvenile Red-shouldered Hawks.

Yep, looking again, Red-shouldered.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.