Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: trellace

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 16, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9533924

Which plants need to be supported by trellaces? I know beans & tomatoes do but I have chili peppers that are starting to list to the side & I'm not sure if they need extra support.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9533986

I have always found staking peppers and eggplants helps them. You can use simple bamboo stakes and tie the plants ti them or special cages made for their height. Years ago I bought some from Gardener's Supply but they are now selling a true cage as compared to Burpee's example: http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/garden-growers/supports-ties-and-fences/pepper-eggplant-supports-prod001308.html

Gardener's Supply's look like this: http://www.gardeners.com/Pepper-and-Eggplant-Cages/8587048,default,pd.html

These seem quite expensive but would last.
I'm sure I got mine when they were on sale but I use them every year. You can also buy your own wire and make cages yourself! Lowe's or Home Depot have wire that has been sprayed with a green plastic. I like those because they don't rust and are light weight. It all depends how many plants you are dealing with as to how sophisticated you want your supports to be!

Cucumbers, like pole beans, can use a real trellis since they can climb quite high.
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9535240

OK. I'm going to start building the trellace's for my beans, peas, cucumbers, & peppers. Thank u for ur advice!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9535246

All the squash/melon/cuke relatives that are not bush type of plants can be grown on a trellis. The ones with heavier fruit will need help to support that fruit. Nylon stockings work really well. They stretch as the fruit grows. The bush type of squash etc do not need any support.

The bush style of peas and beans can be grown on a trellis, but only need a short one. The vining types, or pole types are great on a trellis. Much easier to harvest!

The smallest tomato plants (like 'Patio') and most determinate types are OK with just a stake or small cage to stabilize them, but the indeterminate types of tomatoes can keep on growing, and growing... and will do really well on a trellis. Pepper plants, Eggplant and most other related plants are more bush-like, and a single stake or a tomato cage is plenty. A trellis is a bit much.

I make a trellis out of 6 x 6 welded wire mesh sold for concrete reinforcing. I cut it into pieces long enough to make the cage size I want, or else I cut it into flat panels and attach it to the same bases I use for hoops. The bases are pieces of pipe attached to the vegetable boxes. An upright stake in this pipe will support the trellis panel.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9535827

Here is a picture I found years ago for an idea of supporting large fruit on a fence.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9535961

OK. Thank u for the ideas. How do I know if they are bush or pole or vine type? I bought the seed packs & planted but don't remember what kind they were.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9536444

If the beans start climbing then they are pole beans. If they form a bushy mound then they are Bush Beans! Can you remember if you saw the word pole or bush on the packet even if you forgot the variety? I have learned over the years to keep a list of all the packets I buy just in case I lose it before marking the seedlings! If you bought sugar snap peas they can either be the tall climbers or just need about a 2-3 ft. high wire fence to climb on. Some of them are short and stable enough to require no fencing but I like to use it anyway because it helps them stay standing up if there is a heavy wind. They will have attached themselves to the fence.
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2013
10:30 PM

Post #9537907

I don't remember :( this is my first ever vegetable garden & not keeping track of what seeds I planted (& where I planted them) was 1 of the many lessons I learned... next year I'll definitely be more organized. As of now I have a bunch of plants growing very well but wont know what half of them are until they start producing.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9538964

Well that will be fun! Daily edible surprises!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9538982

I still do that and I've been gardening all my almost 49 yrs. Lol
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9539597

We all do that but I have started taking plastic knives with a relatively smooth handle and marking what I planted. I plant several varieties of peas and soybeans so it is very easy to keep track for comparison. I mark the handle with a paint pen because the print doesn't fade as quickly as with a permanent marker. I like to compare various varieties to see what to keep and plant again. The knives are easily pushed into the soil. I use them for all my tomato varieties as well! They are very cheap online from Walmart. Otherwise it is difficult to find the knives separately from forks and spoons and in large quantities. I have been gardening here seriously for 35 - 40 years here and am a creature of habit so certain veggies tend to be replanted in the same spots. I know I should do more rotating but it doesn't seem to matter since I always add amendments each year to rejuvenate the soil. That at least tells me generally what has been planted where even if I forget the name of the variety!
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9541408

The knives are a great idea! & its good to know I'm not the only 1 who does this
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9541530

I have 1000s of regular plant tags and I still get them mixed up. This year has been better but I'm going for perfect! I sowed tomato seeds for Solar Fire and Solar Flare. According to my labels I only planted Solar Fire. I was wondering why I had tags left over. The plants have different leaves now I just have to wait for the fruit.
bloompicker
Piedmont, SC

June 8, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9551461

do you think potatoes will make from voluntary peelings that must of had some eyes om them ,these are from my composting barrel?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9551890

bloompicker - anything's possible. I would not advise trying to transplant them. Let us know if you get potatoes from your peelings.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9555744

I have potatoes growing at the edge of the compost pile.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9561203

I have had potatoes and squash plants sprout out fro compost pile. Squash were sterile, but had a bunch of small potatoes - once I identified what the plants were here in DG!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America