Woodbridge, Canada

I have those 5 plants in my backyard and wonder if they are weeds. What are they? Are they edible?
Thanks!

Thumbnail by atg Thumbnail by atg Thumbnail by atg Thumbnail by atg Thumbnail by atg
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

#3 looks like strawberries. Some of the others look familiar but I don't know for sure what they are.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Without blooms it is mostly guessing at an ID, but I think #4 is a fleabane, perhaps Erigeron annuus.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Not sure about #1 (but it does look "weedy")
#2 and #4 are different Erigeron species (common name "fleabane")
#3 is false strawberry (Potentilla indica)
#5 may be Lactuca sp (wild lettuce, bitter-tasting)

I don't think any of them are toxic but they're not what I would consider edible either.

Woodbridge, Canada

Thank you for helping me to identify some of the plants. I guess I should get rid of all of them, except maybe for the false strawberry, which I assume, will give an edible fruit similar to strawberry.

Oradea, Romania

No it will not, as long as i know.
This may be called false strawberry in common English, but in Romanian it's called "weed"... :)
I think it refers to the look and the fact that it multiplies by stolons like strawberries do, and in no time you find it growing miles away from the mother-plant. And they have deep roots, hard to get rid of.
And not... to the fruit.
Keeping it, is entirely up to you... but be warned!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Agreed about the wild strawberry. Very invasive here and not used as an edible. But it has its supporters.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/potentilla-indica-mistaken-identity-2/

Woodbridge, Canada

Thanks fixpix and Cville-Gardener for letting me know that it is best to get rid of it. I definitely will.

I have another question. When I grow vegetables, the leaves often get holes. It seems, it is infected with a disease or being eaten. How do I prevent that? I don't want to spray with chemicals.

Woodbridge, Canada

Here are some pictures of the holes in the leaves. What can I do to prevent that?

Thumbnail by atg Thumbnail by atg Thumbnail by atg
Valparaiso, IN

#4 looks like the fleabane I have, Philadelphia Fleabane (Erigeron philadelphicus). It is native to both the U.S. and Canada. I like their tiny white/pink flowers. Here is more info on it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55590/

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

Don't know if this would be something you would want to try but I was told that Rotenone still a chemical is a lesser of 2 evils it kills the buts by deoxydizing the insect and in turn killing it that way but it isn't as toxic as most insect killers for vegetables.
We were told this when we were on vacation up north in our state when the DNR was doing a fish count they use this in the water to kill the fish so that they could count them seems silly I know but that is what we were told. They said it deoxydizes the water and kills the fish and in turn you can use the powder on your veggie plants to kill the insects without using chemicals like seven or like chemicals. But still you would wash your vegetables of course.

Woodbridge, Canada

Thanks but I don't want to use chemical.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You might be interested in this but do take note of the caution:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/apply-diatomaceous-earth-vegetable-gardens-45493.html

Woodbridge, Canada

This is very interesting. I will see if I can get the food-grade diatomaceous earth and use the wet method. Thank you for the advice.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I've used it dry and it does work. I hope it works for you.

Woodbridge, Canada

Can I get the food-grade diatomaceous earth at Home Depot, Lowe's or a garden center?

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Lowe's and Home Depot both, I think. At least they used to carry it.

Woodbridge, Canada

Thank you. Unfortunately, neither carry it in Canada. I may have to look for it elsewhere.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I have found the DE at feed stores here.

Woodbridge, Canada

Do you mean pet food stores?

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

mmm no. feed stores like for farm animals, etc. we have them all over. I bet you could also find DE some place like Tractor Supply. do you have those there?

Northern IL, IL(Zone 5a)

I think picture #1 is Showy Goldenrod.

Woodbridge, Canada

I will have to look for the feed stores for farm animals. Thanks a lot for all your help. I really appreciate that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.