Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: Have you seen this for sale anywhere?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9535701

Hi, gang!
Dust off your gardening catalogs and your memories. I just saw this planter down in a garden at the Smithsonian last weekend. Several people I know have remarked on my picture and would like to know where it came from. I just sent an e-mail to the gardens dept at the SI asking about it but I thought I would put it out there to all the Dave's Gardeners as well.
I believe it to be cast stone, though medieval in appearance, I think it's a modern piece. It had a tag, small but illegible on the far side away from the camera. I don't think the SI would put a real medieval piece out there but who knows. They probably have plenty of that stuff hanging around in warehouses all about DC. It is a museum, after all.
The garden it's in was designed and gifted to the SI by Enid Haupt. She's the lady that rescued the conservatory at the NYBG. This is all I know for now.
Please let me know if and where you have seen another like it. Yes, those are the 12 apostles.
Thanks,
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9536096

I really like it, would love one just like it.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9536564

It looks like an Apostles garden urn. I've seen them in the UK but don't know a source here. Sorry that wasn't much help. I hope someone else will know of a source here. I'm sure it's heavy.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9590850

Looks like something bound for an antique shop or a home demolition company, which we have close by. It is called the junkyard with a personality. If it cools down a bit, I will take a ride over there.
Marcia
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9591229

The smithsonian, whose urn this is, replied that it is not an antique, just that they purchased it from a company in Pennsylvania a long time ago. The company has not responded to my inquiry as to whether or not they still have them, so I am guessing they don't.
Martha

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9712967

Martha

sorry to hear the SI didn't have better news for you as that container is incredible, I was hoping you would find it somewhere to purchase as I would be interested as well.

Jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America