Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Potato Vine?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 179
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2001
10:56 AM

Post #17304

Does anyone know what this is called. It has no blooms but it is really pretty vine and puts greenery in my flower garden. It was planted from a potato like bulb. It has the potatoes on it now. It is really good to plant on a fence row but you have to be careful because they could take over. Hope you can see them growing up on the trees in the background. Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2001
2:09 PM

Post #157203

We call it "air potato", it's also called "heart vine" or "monkey balls". I hate that last name, but lots of people call it that.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2001
10:37 PM

Post #157393

Thanks Calalily, I am like you dont like that last name "monkey balls" The vine is heart shaped and the potatoes do look like they are suppended in air. Ok will make a note of that so I can remember that. Sami
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2001
6:12 PM

Post #157725

Sami,

Just wondering if I could get some good sized potatoes from you for my garden next spring. In Iowa, we don't have much time to get large potatoes on our vine. Let me know at brugie@lucasco.net . If you have extras and are willing to ship some to me, send your address so I can mail postage.

Thanks,

Shirley
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2001
4:07 PM

Post #158710

This is an extremely invasive plant here in Florida. Here's a little more info:

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/diobul.html
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2001
2:14 AM

Post #158959

Yes you are right Amaryllisgal. They are invasive. I just pull up the ones that I dont wont to grow and let the ones grow up the pine trees. I let them grow along the back fence for privacy. Sami
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2001
3:44 AM

Post #159631

Sami, When did you get the birdbath? Looks like my friend, your DH has been "coherced" into some yard work...LOL
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2001
4:31 AM

Post #159648

Roadrunner my DH got that for me for my birthday this year. Have been wanting one for a long time and I came home from work and there it was. Sami
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2001
6:21 PM

Post #160767

Sami, Sami !!!!

Thanks so much for the potatoes. They are so nice and big and they look even better than the kind we eat. I really appreciate the trade, but I still owe you after this nice box of beauties.

S

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America