-
AuthorContent
andrew_yek
Neuss
Germany

May 27, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9535913

These mushroom grew in my garden. I got this pile of used mushroom soil from a farm where they hauled 3 large truck load to be mix into the soil, so i got it before they mix it in. now, under the shape of my other plants, the same looking mushrooms are growing.
I am in germany, hence this mushroom look like the very same that sold in Lidl (supermarket).
But just to be sure, can some one id it for me before i cook it ? :-)

Thank you.
Andrew

Thumbnail by andrew_yek   Thumbnail by andrew_yek   Thumbnail by andrew_yek
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Vestia
San Francisco, CA

May 27, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9535920

Do not eat mushrooms before you can learn from a local fungus expert or organization what is safe in your area, and you become proficient at identifying them. Agaricus contains the "grocery store" mushrooms, but also similar species that can be deadly. Do not eat any wild mushroom unless you are 100% positive of its identity.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9535922

They look great,but I wouldnt touch them,and I say this as a man that almost died last year,I had eaten mushrooms from the same spot 20 years,twice that year,thrid time brought me to the emergency room and 3 weeks in hospital.
NOT WORTH IT!!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9535929

Methinks you're being a bit over-cautious here. There's a clear, obvious source of innoculum of edible mushrooms, from the mushroom compost. Try a small nibble of one. If it tastes like a mushroom, and you have no ill effects after a few hours, then you can consider them safe to eat.

Resin
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

May 27, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9535954

Poisonous Agaricus and Phalliota are said to be quite palatable by those who survive eating them. Taste is not helpful in their ID. It is irresponsible to suggest eating unknown fungi as a test. I am surprised at your suggestion Resin.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2013 7:03 AM
andrew_yek
Neuss
Germany

May 27, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9535984

I won't want to side anyone.. but i think Resin is right.
because i got the mushroom soil from consumer mushroom farm.. and it grows on the soil although i have moved the soil to under my tree.. it grows from the soil..
could it be mutating into a bad breed ?

:-) i forgot to mention, the left mushroom (the small one) is the mushroom i just bought from Lidl (supermarket) just for the purpose of ID it..
they look identical, just my mushroom (right one) is a bit over grown.

:-)
tending to have a bite.
hee

btw, can we eat mushroom raw ? never try it before.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9536062

[quote="andrew_yek"]btw, can we eat mushroom raw ? never try it before. [/quote]

Yes, though not everyone likes the flavour.

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9536069

[quote="Vestia"]Posonous Agaricus and Phaliota are said to be quite palatable by those who survive eating them. Taste is not helpful in their ID. It is irresponsible to suggest eating unknown fungi as a test. I am surprised at your suggestion Resin. [/quote]

If the situation had been anything different (i.e., not directly growing from mushroom compost), then I'd agree with advice not to eat. But this is a clear 'safe' situation.

Resin

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9536156

That type of mushroom is often sliced and eaten raw on salads.
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

May 27, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9536179

I have had fresh mushroom compost spread in the garden colonized by a variety of other mushrooms. I. can only hope no one comes to harm from this unwise advice.
fixpix
Oradea
Romania

May 28, 2013
12:36 AM

Post #9536483

Yup, we have very-much-similar (I don't want to say "exact") mushrooms under our plum trees, in the grass, and dad always encourages them by adding manure every fall/winter.
We do EAT the ones we have, but never raw.
Me and parents sometimes go around the woods looking for wild mushrooms, and we only pick 2 max 3 kinds that we are 100 % sure of.
We leave the rest alone, even though we even see them in the market, for sale.
Also mom says if you can "peel off" the top skin, it's safe. I am not sure this is a rule, or something her mom taught her when she was little...
Also another thing dad says, if there are more mushrooms that look alike, the ones with thick leg is most likely to be good.
Oh well...
andrew_yek
Neuss
Germany

May 28, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9536557

wow.. so much knowledge in id a true edible mushroom. i need to learn more.
------
Also mom says if you can "peel off" the top skin, it's safe. I am not sure this is a rule, or something her mom taught her when she was little...
Also another thing dad says, if there are more mushrooms that look alike, the ones with thick leg is most likely to be good.
Oh well...

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1314840/#ixzz2Ua8KUPe8
--------

thx guys

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9536741

As I said,I had picked and eaten from the same spot over 20 years,and twice that year from same spot that year.Not sure if the late season drought caused a change. Hospital had reports of 3 others getting deathly sick.
In a Forum like this,I say safety first.
Stick to the store.Just my opinion.
andrew_yek
Neuss
Germany

June 2, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9543490

Hii,

I have tried one of the big mushroom and ya. it was safe. the rest were eaten by bugs.
may i know what is the name of that type of mushroom that one i posted in the forum ?

thanks.
andrew
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 2, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9543549

[quote="fixpix"]
Oh well...
[/quote]
Both of those "rules" would be very dependent on what mushrooms you're applying them to... this should not be generalized to all areas!

fixpix
Oradea
Romania

June 2, 2013
11:31 PM

Post #9544007

Yes, was really referring to what we do around here, and refers strictly to the very few mushrooms my mom is willing to cook.
After the many rains we've had, last Sat. I went out to the woods and I collected some.
andrew_yek
Neuss
Germany

June 3, 2013
12:06 AM

Post #9544014

anybody know the name of the mushroom i posted above ?

thx
darnga
Canon, GA

June 3, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9544159

My family collected and ate wild mushrooms for over 20 years while living in the high country of Colorado with no ill effects. The secret is knowing exactly what you are collecting. Get a good mushroom guide specific to your region and really read it, not just skim it. There are very few families of mushrooms that cause death, but many that cause other severe symptoms. The information about peeling the top is urban myth, as some of the Amanita are so toxic that the spores alone may cause death in an individual who is overly sensitive to them. Positive identification is often difficult in juveniles, the button stage, and extreme caution must be taken when collecting anything other than easily identifiable varieties like morels, chanterelles or inky caps.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9545738

It was Shaggy Manes,Inkies,that got me and others,late season drought is the reasoning for the bad turn in them,they had been good before that. 20 years from same spot,guess it was a freak thing.
My advice now,is show extreme caution.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9551576

andrew-- in your circumstance , assume that the one you posted is whatever is commercially grown, and you should be able to figure that out by googling.

My friend was told by an ER doc that there are NO safe mushrooms in my area.

LunarRavenFire

LunarRavenFire
SYRACUSE, NY

June 9, 2013
2:15 AM

Post #9551725

Do Not Listen To "Resin"!!!

NEVER EAT A WILD MUSHROOM UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERT IN IDENTIFYING THEM!
Or you have an expert with you.

Some mushrooms can cause harm or death with only a tiny nibble and some poison mushrooms might even taste ok. Also if you take a bite of a mushroom and you wait a couple hours and nothing happens that DOES NOT MEEN IT ISNT TOXIC.
Some times it can take days for toxic effects to kick in so please please dont ever take anyones advice if they tell you to "Try a small nibble of one. If it tastes like a mushroom, and you have no ill effects after a few hours, then you can consider them safe to eat."
That is very bad advice and if you are not an expert in this field then it isnt wise to give advice. You could kill somone.
I'm sorry ((Resin)) I'm not tryin to be a jerk to you I just dont want someone to get hurt or even killed because they took the wrong advice.
andrew_yek
Neuss
Germany

June 14, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9558679

thanks u guys. i understand.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America