Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Best true blue flowers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
esmereldap

May 31, 2013
1:23 AM

Post #9540325

A beloved cat friend of mine died this week -- over his grave I want to plant an evergreen with the ice-blue flowers that would match the color of his eyes -- i'm looking at Blue Star Creeper and a blue-flowering speedewell veronica -- does anyone have a comment on the respective merits of these, or maybe an alternate suggestion? Many thanks from one still kinda weepy...
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9608906

esmereldap, I'm sorry about your cat. Have you thought about pale blue irises to add to the mixture? Luciee {;^)
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9609034

Forget-Me-Not are also blue, but may be short lived. They often reseed, though, so will keep on going.
Nemophila, Baby Blue Eyes (Annual)
Viola (The group grown as annuals) has some varieties that are really close to blue.
Ageratum (Annual)

Certain plants in the mint family, you would have to see them in bloom to be sure they are the right color:
Catmint (Nepeta, couple of species, several varieties),
Salvia (perhaps one of the S. nemerosa varieties)
Lavender- yes, most are closer to purple, but some are lighter. You would have to see them in flower.

Ground Morning Glory, Convolvulus sabatius (old name C. mauritanicus) sort of wild and wooly, can be rampant invasive.

Blue Star Creeper is a very tight to the ground plant, and could make a nice low mound if the soil is gently mounded. Very neat.

Veronicas may be a bit more particular that their needs are met, but are (IMO) a more impressive plant. Distinct difference when it is in bloom, the flowers standing up, and when it is in the leafy phase, a nice mound.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 25, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9612013

Have you ever tried blue bachelor buttons , they are annuals very easy to sow and they keep giving new blooms once you deadhead them
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9612343

Esmeralda, where do you live? That makes all the difference in what you plant.

It is impossible for someone in zone 9 to help a gardener in zone 3 and vice versa.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9612359

esmereldap, so sorry about your kitty.

I came across this website on bulbs with blue flowers that do well in your area. Here's the link if you're interested. Many bulbs come back year-after-year.

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/FavoriteBlueFloweredBulbsTwo

I know from experience that Muscari really are Blue and there are many varieties. You might check The DG Garden Watchdog for sources of bulbs.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 27, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9613406

Perennial, Geraniums are low growing, come is several colours of pink, Fuchsia, purple, and some shades pf blue, these are tough little plants and can spread out to form a clump, also can be split up to make more clumps, like sun or shade.
Good Luck. WeeNel.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2013
9:32 PM

Post #9617005

lithodora, maybe, but it gets large.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2013
9:37 PM

Post #9617007

Blue balloon flower (platycodon) is a really deep blue perennial if it grows in your area.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America