Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

West India Gherkins

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

This is the first time I have grown these cukes..the plant in the front is suppose to be the west india gherkins...they look like lettuce or greens...the plants a little further back are regular cukes...they look like cukes...has anybody grown these gherkins before? Just wondering if I really do have gherkins...

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I have the wild form of the gerkin..not really a cuke..lol..mine are about 1 inch long and looks like tiny watermelons..I can see the leaves are similar to mine..it kinda sorta looks like maple leaves..not the lettuce types..

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1311450/

Look at this link and you will see my pic at the bottom of the page...

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, maybe the leaves will gradually change to look more like cucumber leaves. I'll just watch it and see what happens...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not too likely. The West India Gherkin (Cucumis anguria) as Moodene says is not really a cucumber has leaves more similar to watermelon. http://www.google.com/search?q=West+India+Gherkin&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EYuqUc7JKobS9gSLyIHADg&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=785

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Are there other types of gerkins?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Of course. Gherkin is a very general name. A lot of confusion results from the fact that gherkin in Europe refers to a small pickling cucumber Cucumis sativus). The West India Gherkin aka Burr cucumber (Cucumis anguria) has been around for over a hundred years mostly as a novelty. Some old timers did pickle them, my father said they looked like pickled mice in the jar. The Mexican Sour Gherkin (Melothria scabra) has become popular in more recent years. It looks more like a grape size watermelon.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

"pickled mice in a jar" almost wish I'd never asked. Lol. I seem to remember seeing Gherkins in the pickle isle at the grocery store. I have some seeds that are labeled Tiny Chinese Cuke I think I'll sow them and see what I get...thanks

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm still laughing at 'pickled mice in a jar'!! :) Thanks Farmerdill....a lot of good information...you have a great way of delivering it!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.