Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: What do you eat out of your garden raw?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 25, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

May 31, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9541473

Not opposed to cooking, but this spring has spoiled me. I've got an organic garden simply by luck so far. A little DE on the lettuce took care of the flea beatles. Otherwise, nothing.

I've picked strawberries almost every day for a month, one or two or three or four - yum. And sugar snap peas too - double yum. I've had lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard since April 1st which I wash because I see a hole every now and again and figure something might still be IN THERE. Onion tops I snip and put in everything. And I like to pick just about everything SMALL.

I've got a bunch of things starting to come on in the garden and anything I can do to simplify my life -- like not turning on the stove in the heat of summer -- I'll try. Besides I like the taste of raw veggies, the juicy crunch, I guess. The no-pots to clean up, that's a big factor, too.

I'm thinking I can munch in the garden: cukes, peppers, tomatoes, zucchinni, crookneck, & peas (Could cook some as well, if they make it into the kitchen).

I'm thinking I'll have to cook eggplants, tomatilloes, winter squash, pattypan squash, green beans, Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, & corn.

???

I'm also currently planning my fall/winter garden. Any suggestions on raw veggies there would be appreciated.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9541499

Peppers, squash and eggplant are the only things I cook. Peppers get used mostly in salsa so thatscnot really cooking. Almost everything gets eaten raw? Sh...don't tell my kids, they don't know any different.

I pickle the cukes when I have enough. Otherwise we just eat them,my kids use ranch dressing.

momlady

momlady
Maple Falls, WA
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9541500

Don't forget the carrots! I am trying cauliflower this year for the first time. If I get any I'll eat some of it raw.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9541501

They probably aren't growing carrots. They are a cool weather crop.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9541631

Raw from the garden: chard, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mint, sorrel, mesclun, peas, carrots, garlic, spinach, lovage, mustard greens, kale. Some of those get cooked as well.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 1, 2013
11:06 AM

Post #9542056

I am a devotee of the Late Ruth Stout and she said the only reason she ever cooked most anything was to get it hot enough to melt her butter Of course my favorite raw veggy is the tomato followed closely by sweet corn ,That being said I don't believe I would ever eat raw Okra

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9542110

Tomatoes and cucumbers top the list. Sugar Snap peas. Then salad greens and peppers.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9542132

I eat broccoli raw most of the time. If I cook it, it's only for one minute in the microwave. Snow peas which I grow as a fall crop, often dont make it to the back door. A lot of tomatoes dont make it to the back door. I eat all the raw peppers I can and freeze the rest. sometimes I eat the asparagus raw. I cook the beans, okra, eggplant, squash. Most of the time I cook the white potatoes and sweet potatoes but I have eaten both of those raw in a salad or out of hand. Of course I eat the lettuce raw. I dont like regular cabbage but I do like the white stemmed Napa cabbage which I stir fry.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9542215

I eat it all raw and definitely nosh while in the garden! I will occasionally cook tomatoes and peppers (for sauces) and almost always cook squash and sweet potatoes. Something, like asparagus and peas, I go either way -- most things I eat raw.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9542278

We are still growing and eating carrots out of the garden here in South Alabama.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9542281

I eat small okra pods raw right in the spot !
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9542348

Raw bean pods are the best. My youngest has never allowed a long bean in the house. When he was younger he would ask where the long beans were? I told him in your tummy, bc you ate them before they got long. Lol

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9542368

I love to smack on the yard long beans raw also. But I love them stir fried.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9543494

Small okra pods, onion tops, strawberries, tomatoes...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9543501

Own another note, I just bought 40 Roma tomatoes 20 large vine-ripened Beefsteaks to suppliment my harvest, to make homemade tomato sauce.

I also bought all FRESH herbs and other ingredients at our local farmers market. I'll be up half the night chopping up seasoning.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9543787

Corn is really good fresh from the garden. That's how I tell it's ready for harvest. Pick an ear that feels well filled, peel the husks and silks, and eat it. No butter, no salt, no pepper, no boiling. When the corn is ripe it is sweet like candy. Delicious! Of your list, green beans are also good raw. Different than cooked, but still tasty. I like raw potatoes, too. They do have to be at least washed and possibly peeled and sliced. I don't like to eat dirt. The tomatillos can also be eaten raw. Chop with some onion, garlic, green or red sweet pepper, cilantro, and green tomatoes if you like. Season with some bits of chopped hot pepper and some lime juice-- Salsa verde fresca! I like it coarsely chopped, so the veggies still have an identity.

David
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9543901

Didn't even think of potatoes but they are the best! Mine are still growing... David I consider all that preparation cooking..lol

I love Ground Cherries and Goldenberries too.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2013
10:18 PM

Post #9543971

Green beans, small okra, crookneck squash, zukes, carrots are just coming out, chives, onions, garlic, maters, basils, mints, cukes, radishes, dill, potatoes, jicama, sorry, corn I just cannot will not eat without boiling, berries, cilantro, kale, lettuces, cabbages, asparagus... Yummmmm. Figure I am missing a bunch, but it depends on what I grow each year.
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9545966

We cook the brussel sprouts, burdock and thistle root, sunchokes, hopniss, beet root, Chinese yams, amaranth, quinoa, sunflower seed, and the corn.

The other vegetables and greens we eat raw or cooked, depending on the recipe.

happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9547287

Asparagus! It's soooo yummy raw. Too bad it's only around for about 5 minutes in April! I eat almost everything raw... except artichokes.

Here is sunny Cali, it is often too hot to cook inside, so we've got a permanent camp stove outside, (next to the grill). Grill for lower heat, camp stove for boiling water. We also take the rice cooker and the panini grill outside when we are going to use them between May and October.

Works perfectly.

I am in the throes of designing a real outdoor kitchen. Can't wait until I have $20-30K lying around to put it in. HA!!!!

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9551804

I grow purple asparagus and the first spears are huge (about the size of a nickel)! I peel the big spears and eat them raw. When the spears get down to "normal" size I just eat the whole thing. Can't even remember how to cook asparagus! Same thing with corn - just shuck and munch and toss the leftovers directly into the compost pile. The other plant I always eat raw - or pickled - is purslane.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9554199

Peas, tomatoes, peas, sweet peppers, and peas

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9554226

Chuckle.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2013
1:27 AM

Post #9554490

Smile. Love those fresh peas. ♥

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9611937

eating raw: tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, sweet green peppers, onions, carrots, Swiss chard, apricots, red and black currants, bluberries, raspberries, blackberries, goosberries.

eating cooked: zuchini, potatoes plus many of the vegetables listed above!
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9612037

etnredclay,

I like that handle, makes you sound like one whoís close to the soil, one whoís in love with it, one who knows that his sustenance comes from it.

A vitamin deficiency causes one to be a dirt-eater, Iíve read. Years ago, back before I read so much, I saw people do it. They looked healthy. It had more to do with beliefs than diet, I now believe. I donít see people do it anymore. Beliefs change, I believe.

Ďclay, did you mean ďWhat do you eat out of your garden raw?Ē or what do you eat raw while still inside your garden, freshly harvested, just post picking, pulling, or digging?

Whichever you meant, I can dig it; itís a good question, a good thread. Iím gonna make out like you meant while youíre still in the garden, freshly harvested. But Iím just gonna name three, and Iíll name them in the order they come off: English peas, sweet corn (G-90), and sweet potatoes (Freshly dug, if they have a crunch, itís gonna be a tasty crop.) In some circles three can mean a whole, Iíve read.

Do you season it?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America