Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Shopping For New Dishwasher - Your Recommendation

New Smyrna Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Do you have an electric dishwasher that you love?

I saw an ad on TV for a new LG brand dishwasher with a steam feature. I haven't been able to find a review on that particular model, but reviews on other LG models were not favorable. Does anyone have a history with the LG brand?

Bonnie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bosch! We've had it for 6 years, never had any problem, and just love it. SO quiet!

We have an LG microwave - no problems but I'd go back to Amana next time.

Thanks, pirl. I know Bosch has an excellent reputation.

In fact , the condos in my building all came with Bosch refrigerators, which are not as widely known as their dishwashers. However, for some reason, $$$$ I am sure, they put in Thermidor dishwashers. Thermidor is known for their cooktops and ovens. It seems bass ackwards to me.

Will take a look at the Bosch dishwashers, thanks,

Bonnie

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, Thermador and Bosch are the same company. Thermador is the lower price in the line, Bosch is the mid price and Gaggenau is the premium brand. All from Siemens.
Marcia

Thanks, Marcia. I had no idea.

Bonnie

Glastonbury, United States

GE dishwasher! It's one of the best there is. It looks really good and it was very easy to install. We have one of these and that's why I know. It's really quiet when you run it. I can even do other stuff while letting this machine do its work. The results and not bad either, usually spotless dishes. If you're looking for an electronic dishwasher, this one is my all time favorite!

Thanks, Carey. What model?

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Bosch, for sure. Quietest dishwasher ever and everything gets clean. Doesn't have to be the expensive part of the line either. DD bought a mid-price version, got a 10% or more discount at Lowe's and it is just fine.

Thanks for the info, OutsidePlaying. I had a Bosch in home I built in 2001 and completely forgot that fact until this minute. Silly me! I had no problems with that model, however, that was quite a few years ago.

Nice discount at Lowe's.

(Zone 9a)

I am in the process of replacing a 18 month old high end Kitchen Aid. It has been a disaster since day one. As soon as the remodeling plan are complete I am going back to my old reliable and super quiet Bosch. The problems involve small plastic parts that hold up the shelves that fall off and melt when they hit the heating element. They are not easy to repair nor are they covered by the extended warranty.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

That's just crazy, Ardesia. If it is a problem that is not your fault, it should be covered by the extended warranty from the warranty company. I'm not certain which parts are covered by the KA warranty; it might just be the electronics. But if it started when it was less than 1 year, they should be doing something about it. Usually they are good machines and are very quiet. KA is the premium brand of Whirlpool, and I know it was a costly unit.

(Zone 9a)

That's for sure,it was costly and the repairs just cost me 20% of the machine's price. Litle bitty plastic pieces are darn expensive. We didn't even replace one of them because my repair guy thought it was not important enough to spend so much. He advised me to use extra care sliding the shelf in and out which we were already doing.

Back when it was first delivered there was a small crack in the control panel which was covered under the warranty and while they were here replacing it they put back two small plastic pieces that had already fallen off. The repair man they sent (not my regular guy) that was fixing it told me this was not an unusual issue and that I should probably buy the extended warranty. Because he mentioned that I never checked as carefully as I should have, my bad, unfortunately it only covers the electronics. We have called KA and the insurance company they use and complained several times, after all, the shelves are integral to the operation of the machine, but they have rejected it each time. We are cancelling the warranty and will get a portion of the cost of it back, that is the only good thing.

Foster, RI

Highly recommend either ASKO or Bosch (but only the mid and higher range models).
Our ASKO was purchased in 1993 (!!!) is all st steel inside, VERY quiet, has a short quick wash cycle, and still runs super well.... we moved it to our ofc kitchen, and replaced with an entry level Bosch around 2005. Now there are many more Bosch models.
In our parents homes (2) and our family cottage, we have had KitchenAid of all types, including the so called Quiet (NOT!). These do not clean as well.

We replaced the Kitchen Aid with yet another Bosch, this time with the 3 drawers and we love it. Some people do not like the tine structure on the lowest rack (so go look and consider this if you have heavy pottery dinnerware, for example).
Also both our Bosch use powdered DW soap and ONLY A LITTLE (2 tsp goes a long way) works super well, if you arent in hard water or treated/soft water area. My neighbor bought a Bosch last year and is told she has to use the pre formed tablets... which are costly, wasteful (too much soap for the need). For the Bosch units, we barely rinse. The cleaning is great and the miracle of current DW soap formuli is that it grabs food residue.... in fact, if you overrinse, the soap ends up scratching your glass ware more. (See NYTimes article about 2-3 years ago on this.)

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Bicoastal, you reminded me about the glassware problem with certain DW soaps. I can't recall the article (or if I even read it), but I do remember a friend saying she had to switch brands because hers because cloudy from the brand she was using. I use the tabs simply because we wash so infrequently and it's harder and harder to find smaller boxes of powder, and also because of the high ratings of some of the tabs. I don't rinse but DH does and he usually does the dishes. I keep telling him to cease, but old habits die hard, esp with 'Y chromosone'. Bottom line, I really liked using the powder better and if I trusted what I bought I'd go back.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Do rinse your dishes and use a tablespoon of powder. The tablets that we give to customers are made by one of the European dishwasher manufacturers and are pricey.

When a dishwasher does not clean well, it is usually the way the dishes are placed or more likely the temperature of the water. Here, in the northeast, where we have basements and cold winters, the water that sits in the pipes is cold, and we instruct the homeowner to run the water at the sink until it is too hot to leave you hand in it for more than 3 seconds. It doesn't make nearly the difference in the summer temperatures. If your dishwasher fills and you put your hand in it, even if you see steam, and it is not HOT, it won't do a good job on the dishes.

How quiet a dishwasher is depends most directly on how much baffling is used for sound deadening.

We tend not to recommend a dishwasher brand if we cannot get parts for it. Also keep in mind that new laws have made changes to how much water is used in a cycle, and that makes a big difference. The older units used double the amount of water and really were more efficient that today's models.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

My only problem with the Bosch dishwashers is they are very unfriendly to bowls and my glass leftover containers, which we tend to use a lot of. (I even took a bowl down to the appliance store to test my theory.)

I'm probably still going to buy a Bosch because it seems to outweigh the other disadvantages and non-bowl-friendly layouts seem to be rampant among dishwashers today.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I would expect bowls to be a top shelf item.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We've never had a problem with bowls. Now and then silverware isn't perfect but that's minor and probably my fault for not cleaning off anything like melted cheese, etc.

You need the pre-rinse cycle:

Thumbnail by pirl
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from cathy166 :
I would expect bowls to be a top shelf item.

On the top shelf, they'd have to lay flat. That not a problem per se, but it doesn't leave much room for glasses.

Maybe we're an odd household, but I never have 20 plates to wash. :)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I don't know if you're talking about soup bowls/soup plates, large mixing bowls or smaller prep type bowls.

I would expect small prep type bowls to go on the top and soup plates to line up like flat plates.

If you place a large bowl face down, you can assume that the inside will be clean, but the water may not get where you want it to rinse and wash items in the top rack.

When we have a complaint of poor cleaning, we always like to see the dw loaded up. Sometimes even over-size plates affect the washing. It is pretty subjective sometimes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.