Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Plants: Potted Papaya - root rot

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Nick1
Plainfield, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9543733

Hi all,
I have a potted papaya grown from seed that is about 8' (foot) tall.
I over wintered it in a heated conservatory (I'm in Zone 6a) and have it outside in the warmer months. This winter I must have over watered it since it developed root rot. I removed the plant from the pot and washed off loose soil and cut off the rotted roots and part of the trunk (about 50% of the roots) and then repotted in fresh potting mix and trimmed the foliage and place n a spot away from direct sun. I also watered with diluted hydrogen peroxide (didn't have any other fungicide on hand).

This was a couple of weeks ago. So far the plant is not looking too bad but not putting out new growth yet.

Anything else I should do to try and save it.

P.S. I grew from seed from a store-bought papaya.

Thanks,

Nick

This message was edited Jun 2, 2013 8:22 PM
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 5, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9546914

Generally the answer to major problems like that with these plants is to get a new plant or put in more seed because they grow so fast. But to save that tree you've done pretty well all you can do, except wait. I find once there's damage to the plant fungus gets in really easily. You could probably get some fungicide and water the roots and damaged trunk with a weak solution to give it more time to heal over.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9547601

Great job, growing one that big from seed, and also excellent job on the triage. I agree with tropicbreeze, you've done all you can do except once it starts a bit of new growth, get it out in the sun. Sun heals a lot of wounds. You could also try dusting any exposed cuts to the trunk with cinnamon. Can't hurt. It's anti-fungal and somewhat anti-bacterial, widely used for preventing fungal infection on orchids and the like. I buy it by the pound.

They're nice plants but you generally need more than one to cross-pollenate unless the fruit you got was from a self-fruitful variety. You'd be well advised to eat some more papaya and start some more seeds in any event. That big plant's most likely going to need some company of the opposite sex before you'll get fruit.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America