Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Ground Cherries and Golden Berries

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9543915

I sowed seeds for both of these and tomatillos. I made sure that I knew who was who bc the plants look a like, at least too me. Well, the tomatillos stayed separate but the Ground Cherries and the Goldenberries didn't. I was sure I had a fool proof system but I went to plant them out and they had gotten mixed together. Also, after a really rainy couple of days 6 plants had completely wilted, even tho they were not planted out or in direct rain. Anyway, I got them planted but I'm wondering if they will cross or if it makes any difference that they got planted next to each other?

In DGPF there are listing for them that have them as the same plant. So I'm not sure if there really is a difference. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2013
11:49 PM

Post #9544012

As far as I can tell after googling Goldenberry, ground cherries and goldenberries are basically the same thing in that they belong to the physalis group. I grew two different ones last year, a basic one my husband brought back from Germany and a Pineapple ground cherry. This year I am growing the Pineapple and Aunt Molly's. The basic difference between my two is that one is supposed to ripen sooner than the other and perhaps a taste difference since the Pineapple one does taste like pineapple. Also the pineapple is supposed to have a darker husk. I think they are a fabulous fruit and hope to get enough this summer to make a pie (need 5 cups worth!). So I hope you can tell the difference when you harvest them but there really doesn't seem to be a big difference! I don't know about the crossing angle or whether that really matters. Do your two varieties have names? What are you growing. I still don't have them in the garden but the seedlings are getting tall and have lots of flowers even though they are spindly. Hopefully tomorrow!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9549380

Sorry for the delay my life got really busy all of a sudden. I'm growing Aunt Molly Ground Cherry (Physalis pruinosa) and Goldenberry (Physalis peruviana). The seeds for the Goldenberry are really small. I was hoping to get each type planted together but since that didn't work I hope I can tell the difference when they set fruit.

Most of the plants recovered and are growing fast but they look too much a like for me to tell them apart.

Last year, I never got them planted but they put on some fruit in the nursery containers and they tasted really good. I would love to get 5 cups but I don't know if they would make it into the house. Lol

If anybody has experience growing these please share, I would love to hear everybody's experiences.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9549812

I finally got mine transplanted into three Earthboxes. I will be most interested in hearing about the Goldenberry if you can tell the difference!! Since there is a difference in the botanical names maybe they will look different. Where did you get the Goldenberry seeds. Good luck with the growing on! You are right, it might be difficult to get 5 cups worth from the garden to the kitchen!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9553005

One of the plants in the garden looks completely different then the rest, I didn't notice that a couple days ago. They are growing so fast, I'm interested to see what that kind is, or if others start to look like that.

The Goldenberry seeds are from Horizon Herbs. It's kinda of strange that there is some confusion on plant files about who is who.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9554123

Thanks for the info. I have ordered from Horizon before so will check that out after I hear your final results! I know I mixed up one section of seedlings when I started them. I was using a 4 space container and think I put some pineapple seeds into one of the spaces in the Aunt Molly's container, but doubt I will notice the difference. We'll see.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9555433

I wonder if you will notice a difference maybe just in the taste. The Goldenberry fruit is supposed to be much bigger, but the seeds are really small. I'm really wondering what this one plant is bc it looks so much different.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9557020

Horizon is sold out for this season but I understand Baker's Creek and others have the peruvian a. From the little I have been reading it sounds as if the peruvian a plant is also considerably larger than the Aunt Molly's. Have you found that to be the case. I have been away for a week and come back to my plants not progressing that much since it has been cool and rainy after the three day heat wave before I left. They at least still look healthy so should take off with the next few days of sun. I fear I may have planted them too close together. If that proves true I guess I can thin them as needed. Last year my plants produced well but didn't get as wide as some people report. I will also be curious to see if Aunt Molly's is larger than the Pineapple.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2013
11:48 PM

Post #9557078

This is the first year that they have both made it into the ground, so I have no idea how big they get. BC does have it Giant Cape Gooseberry they call it. That's what confusing me, it seems to have many common names. I did have some set fruit last year in their nursery pots and they were really good.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2013
12:10 AM

Post #9564540

I picked my first ground cherry yesterday, I doubt many will make it in the house I love the flavor. They do taste different then the Golden Berry and were much smaller but they haven't been in the ground very long. Also figured out that the one Golden Berry / Ground Cherry looks so different bc it's a Tomatillo. I thought that was the one variety I didn't get mixed in. Lol. But they are the only ones that have purple stems. So that one will get moved to where the other tomatillos are. I promised myself I wouldn't let this happen, again...
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9564802

I keep forgetting you are in Texas. I won't have anything until August so must be patient. Mine are growing slowly but look strong even if small! Enjoy your harvest!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9565652

I got one, don't be too optimistic on my end, I think there is one more. I'm ALONG way from a harvest.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America