Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Can you eat immature asparagus ferns?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
montanadolphin
Columbia, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9544248

So I had three asparagus spears peak through the surface of the soil yesterday and knew I would harvest them today. One of the spears' tips had already started to branch out...not big or anything, but like the tip opened up. Can I still cut and eat it...including the ferny pieces that have started? Thanks, I know it's a silly question...but this is my first experience with asparagus (just bought and moved into this house in January...discovered an already established asparagus bed and have been picking asparagus spears for a month) and I just don't know when the asparagus becomes inedible.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9545442

I think once they start to open they are very tough. All fiber, no soft material left.

After a while of harvesting it is better to stop, and allow it to grow the fern-like part. This is what will store the energy to grow next year's crop. Feed it, water it and let it do its thing.
SwallowFeather
Tiskilwa, IL

June 4, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9546638

If it's just barely opened up, it can still be OK to eat depending on if you're OK with a little toughness. Leave it just a couple days after that and it's definitely too tough. And yes, as Diana says, it's important to know when to stop harvesting & just let the ferns grow (I believe it depends partly on the age of the plants--younger ones need to be harvested less.)
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

June 4, 2013
9:51 PM

Post #9546813

eat it before it goes to fern, until mid july, then let it all go to fern until fall. Don't cut it down until the frosts or until it starts to yellow. I mulch the bed with straw before really cold weather sets in.
montanadolphin
Columbia, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9547056

I ate one, and it wasn't tough except down near the part where I cut it out of the ground. By the time I found the asparagus, there were some already ferned out (new home, so I have no idea how old this bed of asparagus is). Some of those ferns already have berries on them.

Thumbnail by montanadolphin   Thumbnail by montanadolphin   Thumbnail by montanadolphin      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9549858

Instead of letting them fern, here in VA you can cut them to the ground and get a second crop in the late summer-early fall. Of my fall crop, I harvest only about 1/4, and let the others fern out to store energy. I don't do that every year, though. I want the crowns to last a long time!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9570535

thickness of shoot tells age on Mary/Martha Washingtons, Jersey spears are bigger around to start with, but tender is where snap starts, I don't cut em, I snap em and the tough stuff remains behind...mine usually don't make it to the house to cook, they get eaten first

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America