Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 3, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9544319

I've sprouted pieces of edible ginger, planted in a large pot since I plan to harvest them eventually. I started them indoors and am getting ready to set them outside. Anyone know what kind of light exposure they prefer?

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9544726

Don't move them out until temps are reliably above 55*, that includes at night ... but you can move them in and out if it helps to keep them warm. They'll like lots of sun, but will need protection from midday sun. Keep the soil barely damp until they are well-established, then they like plenty of moisture, but not a soggy soil, so good drainage is essential. I'd sink the pot into the ground an inch or two, which turns the pot into a mini raised bed and changes how the water in the container behaves, which will allow you to use a soil heavier (more water retentive) than you could in a conventional container set-up. Fertilize regularly with something like 24-8-16, 12-4-8, or Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 (my preference) ... something in a 3:1:2 ratio (or close).

Al
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 4, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9545770

Al - thanks for that info. I was thinking it might like a lot of sun/light but, with the narrow leaves, I wasn't sure how much intensity it could handle. The plants are pretty well established at this point, having been transplanted to a large pot a month ago. Unfortunately, I don't have ground space to partially sink the pot and give it the sunlight it will want so I'll just have to keep an eye on moisture levels. So far I've only given it an organic starter fertilizer so will have to see what I have with higher nitrogen level. Would citrus fertilizer be inappropriate?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America