-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9545076

Joining friends for brats on the grill. I am bringing a side. Potatoes and kraut sounds good & traditional, uh?
Recipe?

thank you
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9546502

Though my family has Austrian roots, I've never had potatoes and kraut in one dish. We eat sweet and sour red cabbage with onions and apples cold or hot and potato salads both cold and hot. We really like this dish cold. It's a great covered dish to bring to a brats BBQ. My cabbage preparation is cooked on medium low heat in a small amount of water, with salt, lemon and cider vinegar. Brown sugar to taste. Cloves and course cracked pepper are also an early part of the mix.

Beware stick to medium or low heat with cabbage. High heat when cooking cabbage or Brussels sprouts will bring out the sulpher = terrible flavor.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9547241

And you include sliced onions and apples w/ this sweet and sour cabbage? Sounds good.

I am going to take a German potato salad. Room t3emp. I have 3# of red fingerling potatoes so will cut in 1/2 and see how that works. No peeling.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9547366

I'm getting ready to make a baby red bliss potato salad right now. I cook the potatoes in advance and add everything else the night before serving. Chilling the potatoes after cooking helps hold their shape.

Yes, I do cook medium diced onions with the cabbage. I have learned to dice the apples at the last minute (3/8" to 1/2"), throw them in and stir well. Then immediately cover and turn off the pot. The apples will turn red and soften but still have a bit of tooth. Otherwise the apples will disappear in the dish. Granny Smith's work well but other firm apples are good. This comes out something like what I'd call a relish. Mine is similar to this http://vicsrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/01/sweet-and-sour-red-cabbage.html You will see recipes with butter. Don't use butter if you plant to serve it cold. You will have coagulated fat blobs.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America